Coopers Community

Honey Draught

andrewk5

put this one down last night - Made to 23 Ltr

coopers original draught

1kg BE#1

500g LDM

750g good quality Black box Honey

kit yeast + 5g pack of Mauri 514 ( local micro gave me some to play with ) so i thought id put some in to help ferment the honey

yeast was re-hydrated & pitched @ 26'c then let cool to 22 over the last 24hr OG - 1056 with a strong aroma / tast of the honey which should mellow with fermentation ( its a darker / stronger flavour then adverage honey but one that i really like so thought id give it a go) the honey itself has a kind of a caramel flavor to it with a floral aroma.

i will continue to update at a later date with FG, ABV% & tasting info......cant wait to drink this one [biggrin]

first time for me to, ihad a few packets given to me by my local micro brewer so put it to help with the aditional fermentables

i did get this from the mauribrew web site though http://www.maurivinyeast.com/yeast.aspx?id=4&menu=open&parentid=282&menuid=286#Ale 514

select ale 514 in the drop down box, there is a pdf file there aswell that has some technical specs

• 3 weeks later...

so this end'd up with a FG of 1016 so works out to be aprox 5.8% its been in the bottle 2 weeks now so i cracked a couple of bottles at lunch. the first bottle first sip was a little more bitter then i expected with a subtle honey after taste not to bad it was drinkalbe, ( bottles being pour'd in to a beer glass ) but as the glass started to get low the bitterness disapeared and the honey was a little more noticable ( quiet a nice drink )

but whith the seccond glass i poured i was distracted and come back to it about 3-4min later tasted a lot smoother & loved it [biggrin] so im very happy with how it turned out. i might have a few more to drink here & there but im keeping a few to the side for a couple of months to see how they turn out ( if i can hold out [lol] )

• 2 weeks later...

well ive been away for 2 weeks so they have been in bottle for 1 month now. it has smoothed out a bit ( bitterness & honey flavour ). but i must say this beer goes really with Spicy Indian Food[love] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Archived