Coopers Community

Easy Pale Ale

anthony m1

Hello Everyone

Just thought I'd share the recipe of what I'm drinking tonight. Turns out a nice light coloured, hoppy ale.

1x Can of Canadian Blond.

1kg of Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g of Dextrose.

20g of Cascade pellets boiled for 10min ( in 5lt of water with 500g of Dry Malt then strained in to fermenter)

20g of Chinook pellets dry hopped on day 4 of ferment. (when I don't have chinook[love] I'll sub it with Cascade.)

Yeast: US-05, 2 weeks at 18c

Cheers

Anthony

nice! So how does it taste no? Your last part, added on day 4 of ferment..how does that affect everything? does it make your primary fermentation last longer then or is it the same? Do you bottle then for 2 weeks or keg it? sounds great !

Hello Dennis

I add the second lot of pellets on day 4 because they say less of the aromatics will be scrubbed away by the ferment. It shouldn't make the ferment take any longer. I'm bottling atm but used to keg.

Anthony

very cool..Bear with me b/c I'm still new to this...Take it slow please..lol....So you add the pellets on day 4....Do you stir them in and how long can you leave the lid off that far into primary fermentation? Is it drop them, stir them, and reseal immediately? Thanks for the help! Do you still bottle then for 2 weeks minimum?

No extra bittering Anthony? I would have thought all that malt would make it a bit too sweet. [pinched] How long has it been conditioning for? I do like the Yankee hops though - might have to try! [happy]

Hey Dennis, I just pop the top off and chuck them in then throw the lid back on. Never had a infection from it. I've read the beer is a bit less susceptible to infection once its been chugging along for a while. Paul might be able to fill us in on if that's true or not. Ether way never had a problem.

Hello Ann, I've found the 20g of cascade over 10min adds just enough extra bitterness. Although a 10min boil is traditionally considered a flavor addition there is still a noticeable bitterness produced, and with the bitterness from the tin its just enough for my tastes.

I usually don't brew often enough. So most the time I'll have my first bottle after two weeks. And its not a bad style to drink young.

Cheers

Anthony

OK, got it! That is a decent whack of Cascade. I've got a Cerveza on at the moment with a 15gm @ 20 min and 15gm @ flameout additions of Cascade and after reading your post yesterday I chucked in another 15gm dry last night (5 days to go till bottling). Only used BE2 though, but I'm beginning to like my beer more and more bitter, so should be OK. Hope I like the Cascade - haven't tried it before (I just luuuuuv Amarillo [love] , so hoping it's similar. Can't stand the Euro-type hops!) [roll]

Archived