Coopers Community

Hobgoblinish

anthony m1

Hello All

I'm new here, great forum.

Thought I'd share my favorite Coopers kit based recipe. Stumbled across this one by accident. Just threw a few left over ingredients together that I had lying around. Came out as close as I've come to Hobgoblin with out really trying.

1x Coopers English Bitter

1kg of Coopers Light Dry Malt extract

300g Brown Sugar

250g of Crystal Malt cold steeped the night before.

12g of East kent Goldings

12g of Styrian Goldings

Both boiled in 4lt with steepings and 100g of extract for 5min

Yeast: Nottingham fermented Around 18c for 3 weeks

Dry hopped with 12g of Fuggles 4days into ferment.

I'm really enjoying this one and hoping I can reproduce the results of this accidental brew.

Cheers

Anthony

G'day Luke

I do it out of laziness I guess. Its pretty easy to chuck the grains with cold water in a container the night before. Then on brew day all I have to do is strain and boil. The sugars in converted grains like crystal will dissolve in cold water, just takes a little longer.

It works well for me and over such a small amount of grain you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference due to steeping method.

Cheers

Ant

Good one Anthony! Might try this method. I have a reputation for liking "easy and simple" and I guess this allows you to strain the grain, squeezing to get every drop of goodness without the risk of burning your hands...[cool]

Borris,

It would be worth while trying just to see. I've done a fair bit of both hot and cold methods. I reckon you'd get a bit no matter how you'd steeped the grains. I've had a close look and tasted the spent grains from a 12hr cold steep and there isn't much left.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...
Ahh now you got me thinking. I might try starting out with hot water around 50c then leaving it over night. Best of both worlds.[happy]

Well, results are in from the cold steep challenge. I ran a side by side comparison using 100g chocolate and 50g black malt in each sample.

1st sample was cold steeped for 24 hours. 1 litre hot, but not boiling water added to grain in a large bowl (as above). Stirred for 60 seconds then covered and left out at room temperature for 24 hours.

After 24 hours grains were tipped into a pot through a fine sieve and sparged until sparge water was almost clear. This took approximately 2.5 litres of hot water to achieve. This may have been due to a lack of sufficient water in the initial "wet down" as grain on the botttom was clumped.

Second sample was placed in large saucepan with 1.5 litres cold tap water and slowly brought up to approximately 70 degrees. Temp maintained for 45 minutes with occasional stir. Grains were then sparged into a large pot and rinsed until sparge water was almost clear. This took significantly less water than the cold steep method, possibly due to the time steeped with hot water or possibly due to the greater quantity of steep water, I'm not sure.

Both samples of grain were then sucked, tasted and chewed to determine effectiveness. To my unsophisticated, meat pie conditioned palate there was no difference in the spent grain and so it would appear that either method was equally successful. The only difference being that there was a greater quantity of liquor remaining from the cold steep method due to extra sparging.

Archived