Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

I'm not really sure what you mean Rob? An IPA for the novice (or the expert for that matter [biggrin] ) would be as per can instructions or perhaps the AUTHENTIC IPA.

If you can order some Motueka (AKA B-Saaz) I'd highly recommend it. The motueka slam recipe is very simple - you may be able to get CRAFTBREWER to send them to Spain for a reasonable cost (Subject to customs).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... to send them to Spain for a reasonable cost (Subject to customs).

Are you kidding? Why not purchase them in Europe? I buy hops from Czech Republic

http://shop.ebay.com.au/hopsnstuff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

and the US

http://www.nikobrew.com/

sooooo much cheaper ($22 AUD for 453 grams), pellets only, of course, flowers would be fine in Spain.

Do a google search for hop suppliers in Europe...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My latest iteration of this brew has 100g of Motueka. When young, it was just a bit too over the top (resin like character) for my tastes [pinched]

So, I'll stick with 80g as my limit. As with most overbearing characters in beer, it's mellowing with time. [cool]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Muddy...

referring to PB2's post on page one: "If you use dry yeast, and you don't want to re-hydrate separately - sprinkle the yeast, cover and let sit for 30mins, stir in and add the hops."

That seemed to indicate to me that hops were added some 30 mins after yeast pitched? Not the normal dry hop on day 3-4? [unsure]

I hadn't seen that post Steve.

I'd take PB2's advice over mine but my method would be to sprinkle the yeast and then dry hop at day 3 or 4.

Thanks again Muddy.

I assumed your method is the way to go, until I read that post.

Not sure about effects of dry hopping so soon ie before fermentation has started? So might play safe and dry hop on day 3/4 as suggested.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

bump

Hi Paul,

If you're around, just wondering about these couple of previous posts, hoping to lay this brew down tomorrow and still have a little voice of uncertainty in my mind re the addition of the motueka...

cheers

Sorry Steve, didn't realise you were still looking for confirmation on this.

It doesn't make a lot of difference at what stage, during ferment, the dry hop addition is made. It's really more a matter of adding when convenient. [biggrin]

The notion of CO2 gas scrubbing out hop aroma during fermentation doesn't really apply to tiny wort volumes such as 23litres. [wink]

Sorry Steve, didn't realise you were still looking for confirmation on this.

It doesn't make a lot of difference at what stage, during ferment, the dry hop addition is made. It's really more a matter of adding when convenient. [biggrin]

The notion of CO2 gas scrubbing out hop aroma during fermentation doesn't really apply to tiny wort volumes such as 23litres. [wink]

No worries at all Paul, as always appreciate the advice...and yours also Muddy!

I just didn't want to bugger up the brew, currently can't get enough of the IPA [love] so looking forward to this one very much...

cheers

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey dudes. Im a novice, looking at putting down my 3rd brew this weekend. Love American IPA's but with the advice on here, looking at putting down the Moteuka Slam IPA. I want the brew to be quite strong around the 6-7% range as well. I was gonna pick up the Thomas Coopers IPA can tomorrow and order the Moteuka hops from over east (Im in western australia). Hoping the hops arrive by the weekend. Whats your thoughts on adding Centennial hops as dry hop as well as the Moteuka? Will it work? Seems like a oddball mix but just thinking out loud. Or should I stick to a Centennial/simcoe dry hop if going for the American IPA? Also, how much Moteuka hops should I be using with pellets? They come in 90g packs. And is it okay to just throw the hop pellets straight in the primary fermenter or should I use a hop filter bag? This was gonna be the brew I put down this weekend:

\u2022 1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA

\u2022 1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt

\u2022 500g Sugar or Dextrose

Dry hopped with (50g?) Moteuka Hop pellets and (30g?) Centennial hop pellets?

Do you guys think this will work? Im happy to be a guinea pig and give it a crack if you dudes reckon it might end up drinkable. [lol] Cheers guys!!!!

Hi David.

When using kits for the first time, I generally brew them in the most basic form suggested, so that I have an understanding of what the kit tin produces in terms of flavour/aroma/bitterness.

I do understand your eagerness to move into forward flavoured beers using hops you believe will be accommodating. In this case, I would suggest you follow the Moteuka Slam recipe to the letter for your first time at bat.

The base Thomas Coopers IPA kit is a sensationally forward flavoured kit in even it's basic brewed form. Yes I've brewed it. The Moteuka IPA Slam recipe is the advised advancement recipe of that kit tin to further enhance & compliment the flavours it already contains.

My advice is to brew the Moteuka Slam IPA exactly to the recipe instructions. After that, by all means fiddle with it to mould it into something that might suite your tastes slightly better.

One of the great things about this website/forum is that many good recipes have already been assembled, tasted, tested & proven. It's like someone has already assembled the cake & you get to roll up & lick the cream off the top. [biggrin]

The Moteuka Slam IPA is one of those cakes you get to lick the cream off the top. [cool]

Anthony.

David, there is no rule stating that you have to brew the basic kit first or even stick to a recipe. If you want to go all out or tweak a recipe then go for it.

If you want a bigger base for your IPA then you could start with the following:

1.7kg Coopers IPA

1.5kg Liquid Light Malt

500g Dry Wheat Malt

500g Dextrose

23 litres

You will need more than the kit yeast for this. At a minimum you will need a packet of US-05 and if you want to pitch the correct amount then you will need to use half of the kit yeast packet too.

The IPA is a good base bitterness but I think you will need to increase the bitterness a little for a big IPA. The rest of the bitterness you can add in a hop boil from 20 minutes down so that you get a heap of flavour too. Add some hops every 5 minutes so that you have the following hop additions:

20 minutes

15 minutes

10 minutes

5 minutes

Dry Hop

If you haven't already done so, download IanH's spreadsheet from AussieHomeBrewer and play around with the quantity. Maybe aim for IBUs around 70 (the kit alone will give you about 52 IBUs in 23 litres).

I have used Moteuka as a single hop in IPAs and it was great. I can't really comment on Moteuka with Centennial as I have never done it but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I think the Little Creatures Bright Ale is Moteuka with Cascade so you are in the same ballpark as that.

I haven't got the spreadsheet with me at the moment but if you want some help with the qty of hop additions or the method then shout out. There are heaps of guys on here that will help.

Archived