Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the recipe recommend 21 degrees, isn't 18-20 the usual?

Would a couple of degrees higher make a flavour difference?

(absolutely love this recipe, by the way, have been tweaking it for a while [love] )

Why 21C and not lower?? I like to see a little extra ester production in this brew. Seems to complement the dry hop nicely.[biggrin]

I knew there would be a very good reason!!! Thanks Paul

• 1 month later...

So, I put down a Hop Slam last Sunday (30 June), and put the hops in on Day 1 in a Hop Sock.

OG was 1047, and made to the recipe provided:

Coopers IPA Brew can

1 kg LDME

50g Motueka hop pellets

Kit yeast

I thought it would take a while, but FG has seemingly settled down at 1009 after 5 days (6 now). I've tested Thursday, Friday and today - and am just wondering whether it's done?

I've been leaving my brews in the FV for up to 14 days, but this just seems to have chewed through the sugars quickly - potentially as the temperature on this has been approx. 24, rather than 21.

Any thoughts on whether I should just go right ahead and bottle this now? Should I leave it?

Sounds like it is done fermenting. It's not unusual for beer to ferment out quickly, especially at warmer temps.

I would give it at least a few more days to clean up. Since you brewed a little warm, a few more days will allow the yeast to clean up some of the more undesirable flavours it may have produced.

You still want the beer to be warm during the clean up stage, say 18-20 degrees. This will help keep the yeast active. If you can achieve this at ambient temps then removing the heat belt is fine.

Bottling on Tuesday/Wednesday will be fine too.

• 2 months later...

So, after taking the proffered advice, I've now got this beer drinking - and all I can say is wow. I've tried serving it up to people who've been skeptical about my home brewing, and they are genuinely stunned that something that tastes like a commercial brew came from my little FV at home.

Got a Mountain Goat clone in now, but will be doing another run of this shortly, as it's magic!

This is slightly off topic, but I thought starting a new topic would be silly when this one sufficed.

I was initially going to do this recipe but my new local-er brew store didn't have any Motueka in stock and because I am unable to get back for a few weeks I ditched it and went for the Authentic IPA recipe. This is great but after the success of my last dry-hop I am apprehensive about the possibility of having an underwhelming beer. Would EKG be a suitable replacement (either boiled or dry hopped)?

EKG is a great hop, both boiled and dry hopped. It would suit the authentic IPA too.

It is much more subtle than the Motueka though.

If you are after a hop suited to the authentic IPA with a bit more oomph then try Styrian Goldings.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I made a How-To-Brew Hop Slam IPA using the motueka hops for the first time. It definitely wont be the last. [love]

I had to opt for a tin of LME instead of LDME due to availablity but other than stuck to the directions.

It has been in the bottle only 2 weeks and the four bottles that I have had so far are delicious. Hopefully I still have some left for Christmas. It is different but similar to feral brewery's hop hog ale [love].

If you are unsure about making this one and do like a bit of hops then this is a great easy recipe.

Trying to avoid the temptation of putting some more in the fridge right now.[whistling

I'm having a 3rd go at this recipe; the first 2 were as per the instructions, but varying this time to use 25g of Citra and 25g of Cascade.

Any thoughts on how you guys reckon this will turn out? It smells amazing, but am starting to have some concerns about infection due to some white bits floating on the surface\u2026

Hi,

First post on here.

Will be brewing this tonight for my 2nd brew as it sounds right up my street. Couldn't get Motueka hops on the weekend so have went for 50g galaxy pellets instead. I love the smell of galaxy so should hopefully turn out a nice drop.

Welcome to the Forum Michael.

I hope you really, really like Galaxy because 50g dry hopped is a fair bit. I would be nervous about that much Galaxy but then I am a bit soft [biggrin]

I'm sure someone on here has done it before though. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow this is kinda creepy another MichaelJ and doing the same brew! I just did this recipe for the second time but was thinking of using centennial instead of motueka when I dry hop in a few days and came on to ask if this will work well? and then i see my double asking the same question but with galaxy! I thought someone had hacked my password for a second [biggrin] so what do ya think? will centennial work well and should i still use 50g?

Archived