Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

4.2 used to be my favorite number [cool]

Bottled mine last Sunday' date=' 48 bottles of different sizes. Can't wait to try some :) Mine ended up at 1.009.[/quote']

Hey Tobias

That sounds pretty right, mine went 1.01.

It's a good kit and I took the lazy way out on this one. Mixed with a kilo of LDM, pitched kit yeast at 24'C and fermented at 22'C. Hops dropped in on day 4, set and forget!

It didn't go down too bad last night, but my keg is over carbed due to a fridge mishap in February. Based on my last two kegs it will take about a week to settle down, provided I continue to draw a coupe of glasses of on a regular basis [wink]

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I chuck my dry hops straight into the FV I find I have no issues with hops in the finished beer after cold crashing for a few days (I generally do 5-7 depending on the style of beer).

You have to have the fridge setup for that though. Without a fridge I would probably use a bag of some sort

You could rack your brew off the trub and hops to a secondary a couple of days before you bottle. This practise is not en vogue around here but it is a time proven method.[roll]

Had my brother over today, and we made a Stout. Anyway, when we were done, we tried the Slam (my first brew ever) which has been carbonating for a week today, and we both thought it was really good! :) Will be interesting to see what another week or two will do with it :)

Had my brother over today' date=' and we made a Stout. Anyway, when we were done, we tried the Slam (my first brew ever) which has been carbonating for a week today, and we both thought it was really good! :) Will be interesting to see what another week or two will do with it :)[/quote']

Good to hear Tobias

This brew will only get better from here. It's just under a week since I kegged mine and its starting to pour much better. Its 11 weeks since I kegged it. My future son in law came around last night and tried one. He was also impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
Good to hear Tobias

This brew will only get better from here. It's just under a week since I kegged mine and its starting to pour much better. Its 11 weeks since I kegged it. My future son in law came around last night and tried one. He was also impressed.

Three weeks in bottle now, and sitting here with another Slam. I've been trying to take it slow drinking them. I probably have a good bit over 30 left. I'm starting to wonder why everyone isn't brewing... Starting this must have been one of the best ideas I ever had :)

Hi All,

I'm new to brewing & thought I would try a Motueka slam for my 4th brew!

Went with PB2 recipe with

Coopers IPA kit

1 Kg LDM

50g Motueka hop pellets dry-hopped

Safale US -04 yeast

21Lt

OG 1044

I pitched the us-04 yeast at 24deg

Here's were I am a bit confused [unsure] don't know why but I pitched the IPA yeast that came with the can as well [pinched]

Then brewed at 20 deg! After 2 days the SG was down to 1012[surprised

Have I pitched too much yeast![crying] If SG reading is the same after another couple of days how long do I leave in the FV before bottling!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers Tim.

Hi Tim,

It's better to pitch too much yeast rather than too little. S-04 is usually very fast to ferment out so don't worry. Brewing it at 20 degrees is a good temperature. A final gravity of 1.012 would be within the normal range of both those yeasts, but it could go lower.

Most people would recommend you leave the beer in the FV for about two weeks before bottling. Maybe add the dry hops after a week in the FV.

No reason to panic so far. Good luck with the rest of this one!

Hey Scottie' date=' sure it wasn't the shotgun pointed at his head that made him [i']say[/i] he was impressed? [unsure]

[lol]

It could be that he is unwilling to give an unbiased opinion. My Dad came over from GC this week and sampled my Southern Cross Pale Ale (bordering on IPA) and was very quick to admit that he didn't like it. In fact later in teh night someone mentioned coriander and I said that I've put that in my latest beer to which Dad responded "I believe that you\u2019re definitely putting something in it".

As for the current thread, time to go and pull a Moteuka Slam from the keg. And no following the first tasting I didn't offer Dad a Motueka, dropped back to the safe as houses bottled Styx River Pale which he found to his liking.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is now PB2's recipe of the month. A long time coming [love]

I hope Coopers have a huge supply of Moteuka, the recipe contains a link to this thread, so I can imagine this one selling out real quick.

Hi all,

After a brief (failed) attempt at home brewing a few years ago i am going to give it another go now that i have a bloke at work who's brains i can pick.

I was about to do an IPA like this one but with Amarillo hops but i might try this out instead after the good feedback in the thread.

We don't have any Motueka hops locally so i have to order them. Is it better to get flowers or pellets if they are travelling across the country and possibly being left in a letterbox for a day?

I reckon pellets would travel better Alex - But this is only an assumption on my part.

Thanks.

I couldn't wait for hops to come from over east so i bought some Amarillo hops to use. They only had pellets though.

I was going to use the packet ones and steep for 10 minutes in the bag before adding to the brew in the fermenter.

Is the process the same with pellets? I just need a bag to put them in and then steep for 10 mins?

No you dry hop these ones - they stay in the fermentor until bottling. I use tea balls but you can use a clean chux....If this is the thread I think it is there should be a full description including photos at the start of the thread. You can use the same method for pellets. I used to use a stock bag from an asian grocer but chux works well too.

Some people just throw the pellets in the fermentor but I don't like bits of hops in my beer.

No you dry hop these ones - they stay in the fermentor until bottling. I use tea balls but you can use a clean chux....If this is the thread I think it is there should be a full description including photos at the start of the thread. You can use the same method for pellets. I used to use a stock bag from an asian grocer but chux works well too.

Some people just throw the pellets in the fermentor but I don't like bits of hops in my beer.

Ah thanks.

Sorry for the silly questions. I have lots to learn.

So i just put the pellets in a chucks cloth or hop bag and then put in the fermenter once all the other ingredients are in?

I read in this post that some put in on day 3 and some at the start and it didn't seem to matter.

I usually dry hop at day 3 or 4. But depending on who you listen to it is six of one or half dozen of the other whether to do it at the start or a few days in.

So just listen to the person that is advocating the method you want to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived