Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got like 21 liters of Slam here then, waiting game starts now :) Used 10g @ 20 and 20g @ 10 as suggested by Hairy. My kitchen never smelled this good before :)

Should have around 70g left as I got 100g, will dry hop that in a few days :)

Wohooo so excited! :D

EDIT: Forgot to say, my reading showed 1040 or 1041, hard to see :P And I used one pack of Safale US-05

Just put the rest of the hops in a hop bag in the fermentor :) the waterlock has been bubbling like crazy these days, so I'm hoping everything is alright :) The temperature in the room I have it in has gone up and down from 20 to 22 degrees, so I should be ok there I think.

Hey,

So airlock activity stopped after a few days (I know it doesn't really mean anything), and today I took a look in the bucket. Got a nice yeasty smell and it looked like below. I'm thinking everything is ok, but since it's my first brew I would like to hear your opinions too. This is after 7 days.

2013-04-04111735_zpsbc443b85.jpg

Gravity sample... 1.013'ish as far as I can see. Since this was my first test and it's only been a week, I'll leave it a few more days and then take another sample :)

Sample taste... Considering this is room temperated, probably not finished, and not carbonated, I'm very impressed. I could smell and taste the hops, but at the same time, I think it was really smooth. I'm not sure that my Slam gotten as much dry hopping as it should since I had the pellets in a small bag. Perhaps I'll just put them straight in the fermentor next time

And, ofcourse, a picture!

2013-04-04184216_zps86da4f47.jpg

Depends how small the bag is, the hops will expand when they are in the brew. I usually dry hop in stainless steel tea strainers, they only hold about 10g each but I have 5 of them. Using 10g per strainer I find gives them plenty of space to expand without filling the strainer i.e. there's still space in it for them to move around freely. The last couple of brews that I have chucked in around 30g I have noticed a definite hop aroma and some added flavour as well. And no hop matter in the bottles either.[happy]

But plenty of people chuck them straight in "commando style" with no problems either.

I'm not sure that my Slam gotten as much dry hopping as it should since I had the pellets in a small bag. Perhaps I'll just put them straight in the fermentor next time

They should be fine in a bag as long as it a suitable fabric such as a stock back, muslin or a fresh chux. I'm personally against just chucking them in as I don't like to need a toothpick after drinking a glass of beer [innocent]

How much did you dry hop? I think I used to do 60-80g for this one, always contained in a hop ball or stock bag and it was always a great beer.

I chuck my dry hops straight into the FV I find I have no issues with hops in the finished beer after cold crashing for a few days (I generally do 5-7 depending on the style of beer).

You have to have the fridge setup for that though. Without a fridge I would probably use a bag of some sort

I bottled mine earlier this week, finished at 1009 from 1044. I like the hint of lemon in the aroma from the Motueka. I used the flowers as PB2 originally suggested...but it isn't as strong of an aroma as my other beers with 50gm or so of pellets dry hopped. Very pleasant though.

I have been using 15gm per mesh ball, but might have to go down to 10gm then, as the hops are fairly compressed when I pull them out. Worried this is not maximising the release of oils from the hops.

Dropped the latest SMOTY Ale into keg and PETs (take-aways for people at work)' date=' so I thought it might be nice to do another Motueka Slam IPA. [cool']

The first time I made up this brew I dry hopped with 40g of Motueka flowers but this time - 80g![devil]

The recipe:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

80g Motueka Hops (hold them in a new cleaning cloth)

Made to 21 litres

Coopers commercial ale culture (an ale yeast of your choice will suffice)

Going in tonight with this exact recipe except 30g Galaxy Pellets dry hopped instead of 80g Motueka flowers and US-05 Yeast.

Just bottled my Coopers Pale Ale Clone using the commercial yeast harvest - despite being warm and with no gas, when tasted it was really close to the real thing. Makes me realise just how important the yeast is when it comes to determining flavour

I bottled mine earlier this week, finished at 1009 from 1044. I like the hint of lemon in the aroma from the Motueka. I used the flowers as PB2 originally suggested...but it isn't as strong of an aroma as my other beers with 50gm or so of pellets dry hopped. Very pleasant though.

I have been using 15gm per mesh ball, but might have to go down to 10gm then, as the hops are fairly compressed when I pull them out. Worried this is not maximising the release of oils from the hops.

Just tapped a keg of this one, after my LCPAish keg blew out.

I used 50g of Moteuka pellets in a large hop bag. Pulled my first beer and I'm getting a subtle hint on lemon also. Going to have to pull another glass and get my daughter to tell me what aromas she can detect, she is the best judge in the house.

Its been kegged for 10.1 weeks after sitting in the FV for 2.6 weeks. As far as a verdict, well its definitely drinkable - I'm just heading for another. Will it make my top 5? The jury is yet to return a verdict!

Pulled my first beer and I'm getting a subtle hint on lemon also. Going to have to pull another glass and get my daughter to tell me what aromas she can detect' date=' she is the best judge in the house. [/quote']

She says Lime [rightful] I says four's enough [roll]

Archived