Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

Well you're right that another week after dry hopping will help settle it out, but it has to be left still in order to do so. If you're lifting it out of the tub and back in every day it will stir up the trub a bit. It takes a lot more time to change the temp of a volume of liquid, compared to the same volume of air. If it starts to get too cold then removing the ice bottles should help stabilize it because the surrounding water isn't being chilled down any more. It may drop a degree or two but it should start to warm up again after that.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi David, the IPA kit is pretty full on, especially with some hop additions. I dont think the temp range and variation is going to do much harm, although stability is definately disirable. Consider an STC 1000 and brew fridge if you can.

i think the most important thing with the IPA kit is time. Leave in the bottle for at least a month mate, but longer will make a big diff[biggrin]

Hey Nick, thanks heaps mate. I will try and hold out for at least a month. Will be hard. My self control is pretty shit i must admit.haha My first brew has only been in the bottle for a month on saturday just gone and only 3 king browns are left. Im trying to hold onto them for as long as possible. My 30th birthday is in June, I want to keep hold of at least one of them till then. Fingers crossed bro. [biggrin]

Cheers Ned, Ive been trying to rely on just putting fresh ice blocks before work and chaning them in the arvo. Seems to be staying fairly well. My wife says that it still tends to rise to about 24 when she checks it but most of the time it stays around 20 degrees.

Thanks again Kelsey, you've been real helpful mate!!! Im sure without the advie from good brewers such as yourself I would really struggle!!!! I put the Centennial hops in the FV last night after boiling the hop bag for 15 mins to sterilise. Did a SG reading and it was 1010 exactly. OG was bang on 1050. After work today I had a look and looks like fermentation has finshed. Doesnt look like much is going on inside the FV. Im guessing the FG will be around 1006-1008. As of last night, the calculations amount to about 5.7 % after secondry fermentation. Im guessing with the FG being around 1006-1008 it will be around 6-6.2% after secondry fermentation. But Im going to leave the FV in the tub for about another week. Planning to do another SG reading next Monday and Tuesday and then bottle on Thursday if they are stable readings. Thanks again for the advice Kelsey, you're a champ!!!!! If it turns out well, Im pretty sure I owe you a brew mate!!!!! Will keep you all informed, but looking good so far [happy]

No worries mate! We have all been where you are, I'm no expert on brewing but I will help out when I can. If it wasn't for the help from the guys on here I'd probably still be making kits, fermenting at 400 degrees and wondering why it tasted like arse. [lol] Then again, my first brew was like that and prompted me to search online for these types of resources. It's good to be able to pass on the knowledge I have gained, while also learning new things myself.

You may well find the SG stays at 1010, but it could drop too. Good plan to check the SG next Monday and Tuesday though, that gives it a good amount of time to finish if there is still a couple of points to go. I reckon it'll turn out nicely though! [biggrin]

No worries mate! We have all been where you are' date=' I'm no expert on brewing but I will help out when I can. If it wasn't for the help from the guys on here I'd probably still be making kits, fermenting at 400 degrees and wondering why it tasted like arse. [lol'] Then again, my first brew was like that and prompted me to search online for these types of resources. It's good to be able to pass on the knowledge I have gained, while also learning new things myself.

You may well find the SG stays at 1010, but it could drop too. Good plan to check the SG next Monday and Tuesday though, that gives it a good amount of time to finish if there is still a couple of points to go. I reckon it'll turn out nicely though! [biggrin]

Cheers Kelsey. Really appreciate everyone's help here, you've all helped me heaps. Im learning more every day thanks to all you top blokes (and gals) on this forum. The brew is looking great at the moment, staying around 20 degrees and certainly looks like it finished fermenting a few days ago. I will still be happy if the SG stays at 1010 Kelsey. Would be nice if it came down a little bit more because I do like the stronger IPA's but Im not gonna complain. [lol] Im sure its gonna turn out well. Can't wait to try it but still a while off that yet. Gonna try and have self control and leave it for at least a month after bottling. Not sure how i will go but will try harness the inner will power.hahaha One question, the FV is still in the laundry sink in water and i put frozen bottles in every now and then, but Im gonna have to take it out to do the SG readings on monday/tuesday and then bottle next thursday. Should I take it out today so it has more time to settle before the readings and bottling? Or should I leave it in there to stay at 20 degrees. If I take it out, I can try to still keep it as cool as possible with wet towel around the FV. But obviously won't be able to use frozen bottles. Not sure what best way to go is. Because I dont want to take it out for reading monday then put it back, then same thing tuesday and then again for bottling thursday. Any advice would be really appreciated. Cheers everyone and by the way, HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!! Hope you all enjoy a few cool bevvies and BBQ. [w00t]

[lol] Yeah leaving the bottles longer will get easier as you build up stocks, but it does take a little while to do.

One question' date=' the FV is still in the laundry sink in water and i put frozen bottles in every now and then, but Im gonna have to take it out to do the SG readings on monday/tuesday and then bottle next thursday. Should I take it out today so it has more time to settle before the readings and bottling? Or should I leave it in there to stay at 20 degrees. If I take it out, I can try to still keep it as cool as possible with wet towel around the FV. But obviously won't be able to use frozen bottles. Not sure what best way to go is. Because I dont want to take it out for reading monday then put it back, then same thing tuesday and then again for bottling thursday. Any advice would be really appreciated.[/quote']

I would probably just take it out now and put wet towels around it if you want to keep the temp down. It's really the first few days of fermentation that are the most important regarding the temp because that's when the flavours are formed by the yeast. Keeping it at 20 or 18 or whatever for as long as possible is a good idea though, but I think you can take it out of the water now with no problems. Like you said, better to just take it out once rather than numerous times. [biggrin]

You can move an FG without disturbing the trub if you do it gently. I take my FV out of the fridge and move it to a bench for bottling. Just be steady with no big lurching movements.

It also helps if you are extremely strong with a good core. My rippling six pack helps [innocent]

It also helps if you are extremely strong with a good core. My rippling six pack helps [innocent]

There's my problem. [lol] I'm actually thinking about taking my brew out of the fridge and moving it to my "trolley bench" after cold crashing and letting it warm up in the ambient air. Is this a good idea, or is it better to leave it in the fridge and reset the temp controller to 18-20?

Tested the SG of my Motueka Slam today, 1,009, after 2 1/2 weeks in the FV. Due to keg this one today and while the kit brew (Honey Blonde) that I kegged on Saturday was nothing to rave about this one is [love]. It is going into keg #6, which has 2 half full and 3 full kegs in front off it. I reckon it needs to come up the batting order a bit.

Followed the recipe to the T, that's a first, using pellets instead of flowers. The hops have been floating around in there for 2 weeks [happy].

No more kit brews planned, extracts only, but I will be keeping an eye out for Paul's (PB2) next recipe of the month [wink].

Have got the FV out of the laundry sink now. Its staying at around 24 degrees now, can't seem to get it any lower even with wet towels. [annoyed] Ah well, Im sure its gonna be okay, well hopefully. [lol] Did a SG and its 1010, which its been for over a week now so Thats the FG. Starting at 1050, FG 1010, so calculated after secondry fermentation in the bottle at 5.7% ABV. Little lower than i thought it would be but tried a sample and i was stoked!!!! Think Im on a winner. If anything, didnt have a huge amount of hop aroma. Think I might try dry hopping with more Centennial next time. Might up the Cascade too but will see. Would having the pellets in the FV seperately rather than in the boiling bag help with aroma?

Btw, all this talk about six packs has got me worried. [lol] I used to have one, its my 30th birthday this year and Im certainly starting to move frimly away from a 6 pack to a keg. haha[biggrin] Actually I shouldnt be happy with that but oh well [roll]

You can move an FG without disturbing the trub if you do it gently. I take my FV out of the fridge and move it to a bench for bottling. Just be steady with no big lurching movements.

ok ok the BS has begun i see lol

Ive bottled the IPA. I was super impressed with the sample I tried before bottling. Actually was quite bitter. Is there any way of working out the bitterness rating? The Cascade and Centennial hops seemed to work really well together. Obviously I will know how it turns out better when I try proper sample after secondry fermentation in a months time. Just put down another brew last night. Ive put down a German Pilsner. Will start a new thread in the recipe section soon. Would appreciate any advice for anyone wanting to give any. Cheers guys. [happy]

• 1 month later...

Kit yeast or US-05 with this?

I have a packet of US-05 coming with the ingredients for this. I wasn't strictly planning to us the US-05 in this brew but bought it just in case... So, I know I "should" use the US-05 instead of the kit yeast but I'd like know what the experts think...

Suggestions/pros & cons would be much appreciated. I'll always have a use for the US-05 elsewhere.

I usually have a six pack while I get organised to move an FV!!![innocent] I've got 3 to do this weekend so it could be a big afternoon. At least I'll have the motor racing to watch on tele in the shed...!!!

There's my problem. [lol] I'm actually thinking about taking my brew out of the fridge and moving it to my "trolley bench" after cold crashing and letting it warm up in the ambient air. Is this a good idea, or is it better to leave it in the fridge and reset the temp controller to 18-20?

I just bottle it at the cold temp and let them warm back up in the bottle. I don't think it matters either way.

I'm with Hairy on this one. I don't think it really matters. Sometimes I just bottle it cold and sometimes I might just turn the fridge off a couple of days beforehand if I think of it. I haven't noticed a difference between either method.

Either one is fine.

I personally would go with the US-05 for the main reason that it is 11.5g and is a better quantity to pitch than the kit yeast.

Cheers Hairy. I actually have several packets of Coopers Ale yeast from Sparkling Ale and maybe a couple from the APA cans. The eldest would be a year old.... Perhaps I'll give one of those a go to compliment the one that comes with the IPA can??

• 2 weeks later...

Going to bottle this within the next day or two. It seems the hop bag has absorbed quite a bit of the wort. Do we ever squeeze the hops bag when using this volume of hops??

I apologise in advance for the potentially dumb question..

No such thing as a dumb question Milney [cool]

I wouldn't recommend squeezing the bag as:

1. It wont achieve much

2. It will be cloudy liquid

3. Handling and squeezing the bag just adds another source of potential infection to your beer.

4. Can't think of any more reasons at the moment.

I can't imagine you would really get much liquid out of it anyway.

Hi,

I'm just getting into brewing and waiting for restocking of the DIY kit here in Sweden, hopefully within a week or two :)

I've been reading a lot of recipes and want to do a lot of fancy IPA's. But after reading this thread a few times, I've decided to start my first brew with the Motueka Slam, since I could actually get hold of Motueka here. I'm really excited! :)

Oh well, I'll probably update once I have the kit and gotten started. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Thank you Hairy :)

Will the Motueka Slam benefit anything from a boil with 10g Motueka adds at say 7 and 3 mins or something, or is it a waste with the 80g dry hop? Maybe do a boil and dry hop only 60g? :)

Or should I just go with the dry hop?

Archived