Coopers Community

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2

Dropped the latest SMOTY Ale into keg and PETs (take-aways for people at work), so I thought it might be nice to do another Motueka Slam IPA. [cool]

The first time I made up this brew I dry hopped with 40g of Motueka flowers but this time - 80g![devil]

The recipe:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

80g Motueka Hops (hold them in a new cleaning cloth)

Made to 21 litres

Coopers commercial ale culture (an ale yeast of your choice will suffice)

Have got pics on TweetPhoto (yet to work out how to put them directly on the forum).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the recipe Paul. I was actually planning on asking people for ideas on how to best utilise my leftover Motueka hops so this recipe was a godsend.

Wouldn't the chux be a bit of a concern in a brew. They tend to drop blue fibres when used so I would assume they'd do the same in the fermentor. Also, do you sanitise them or use them fresh from the pack?

As for posting photos you just need to upload them to an image hosting site like Imageshack which is pretty self explanatory if you look at the link although it usually doesn't work for me first go but does when I click on the "Can't Upload? Try This." link next to the upload now button. I don't use them much so there might be better sites around.

[rightful] EDIT: I hope you don't mind Paul but I thought I'd add your photos.

pb21.jpg

pb22.jpg

pb23x.jpg

Thanks for throwing the images on Muddy! [w00t]

Been using the cleaning cloths for many brews with no prob's. Good for specialty grains, hops, berries, citrus zest, etc. [cool]

It's a step up on cleaning grain bags, hop socks, etc. then sanitising them for the next brew. [pinched]

I will hit the geeks up to find out if I can get the images from TweetPhoto without having to host them on another site. [sideways]

WARNING, this is a personal perception and nothing more - flowers tend to give less coarse flavour and aroma - DUNNO, the whole thing may be that heaps more bulk (not weight) is required to achieve the same level of hopping. [unsure]

Might need to run this by a Master Brewer to get a more definitive reply [whistling

Far out... You beat me to it Paul...

I'm doing a Brewmaster IPA on Wednesday dry-hopped to the eyeballs with something good! (Depends on what's on the shelf)

Same kit and kilo of malt, but 1056 Wyeast yeast and hops as above!

Super Alpha - grassy and pine needles/lemon grass.

25G sounds allright - I would be a little nervous about 80g of this one.

Let us know how it turns out.[cool]

Yeast (liquid) was pitched before the hops. If you use dry yeast, and you don't want to re-hydrate separately - sprinkle the yeast, cover and let sit for 30mins, stir in and add the hops.

Finished at 1008.

Mine quit at 1.012, kegged as well, very nice flavours out of the sample.

John, PB2 was using flowers instead of pellets, so you use about a third less (by weight) of pellets compared to flowers. Dunno where I heard that, probably on the internet so it must be true.

Can't wait for this one.[tongue]

• 1 month later...

Blew the keg dry, containing Clips-Ale 1000, a couple of days ago and now have the Motueka Slam IPA on tap - an absolutely stunning beer [love]

Oddly, the glass doesn't smell so great when left empty for a few minutes - normally quite the opposite when a beer presents so nicely...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It tasted like the nectar of the gods. Absolutely fantastic. Bloody marvellous. Like there was a party in my mouth...Good [biggrin]

I might try 60g next time but then again maybe not. I definitely didn't think anything was lacking when I used 40g but may add more just to see what it is like.

Hiya guys. Now that its warming up over here I want to try a IPA brew. I have a can of Coopers IPA and have access to dry malt, malt extract etc but still have no sourced a shop that sells hops. So can't really do this recipe.

Does anyone have a recipe for IPA for a novice? I have not dabbled with any dry ingredients so not really sure of the preparation or correct usage.

Cheers,

Rob

Archived