Coopers Community

Irish Stout Thomas Coopers selection anything like Guinness?

JoeS1

Hi All

Im new to homebrewing, about to bottle my first beer, the Coopers mexican cerveza and would now like to brew a Guinness clone, the Irish stout seems to be a good start.

I have searched here and other forums and the web but am a little confused as to the best recipe for a Guinness clone beer.

Some have said just use the Irish stout can and follow the instructions and also add 100Grams of steeped dark malt.

Others have said instead of making it up to 23litres, only make it to approx 18/20Litres to make it creamier

Are there any ideas here?

thanks in advance

There are different versions of Guinnnes around the world. So, I guess it depends on what Guinness you have in mind??

I developed the Thomas Coopers Irish Stout beer kit (using the recommended recipe on the label) to make a beer somewhere between the Murphy's and Guinness versions (in the 440ml can with the widget).

Of course, you can get a lot closer to the style if you use nitrogen in a keg set-up[wink]

You are yet to tell me what version of Guinness you have in mind. So advising on dark malt additions is a "shot in the dark"...

The addition of 200g dark malt (assuming it is dry) would be quite okay but it would be moving away from the 440ml can Guinness beer.

• 6 months later...

Have just opened the first bottle of a Guinness recipe that I found on another website and it is starting to really taste like the real thing!

Coopers Stout

600g dextrose

400g light malt

500g golden syrup

Fuggles finishing hops

• 2 weeks later...

I have made many brews of Coopers Stout.

The consistency & good taste kept me making again & again.

Then I tasted a friends stout which to me seemed very like the Guinness then available from a keg.

I discovered he simply "doubled up" the 1.7 Kg Coopers stout kit & pitched two yeast sachets. I have followed this procedure now for about 10 years, it is reliable, consistent & as near to Guinness as a kit home brewer can reasonably expect.

I did hear of one champion stout brewer who added a black jelly bean to every 750 ml bottle; but I am well satisfied & have not experimented further.

Guaranteed!!

Rgds,

Peter O

• 1 month later...

Just brewed my first 2 Coopers Kits recently. Want to start a Guiness style for St Patty's. Simon, what method did you use for this recipe? The standard 2 liters of hot water then add these ingredients or was it an extract/boil hybrid? Could you post the procedure you followed?

Have just opened the first bottle of a Guinness recipe that I found on another website and it is starting to really taste like the real thing!

Coopers Stout

600g dextrose

400g light malt

500g golden syrup

Fuggles finishing hops

• 2 years later...

I accidentally added too little water, as the fermentation vessel was pretty foamy at the top, at the time. I missed my 23l mark and ended up with only about 18 liters in bottles. It is still pretty green but it has awesome taste already.

I added 1kg DME in stead of the Coopers recommendation on the tin for Irish Stout. Some of the DME might not have dissolved properly either (I am considering using LME next time to ease this).

My goal is something as close to 440 Guinness tins as possible. Maybe with a bit of aging I end up liking mine more than I do Guinness. Should I rather stick to Coopers's recommendation?

FG was 1016, and I do not have the original reading as I did not have an hydrometer at the time.

Fermentation started around 25/26 C and hovered around 22 after I admitted it to my cooling chamber (1 day later), where it sat for 10 days. I guess my next brew will ferment at a bit lower a temp, (maybe about 20 C) as summer is almost over.

What are your thoughts on what I should do different next time?

It might taste a little sweeter than Guiness, maybe closer to Murphy's. Try reducing some of the malt and replace it with Dex. this may dry it out a bit and give you something closer to Guiness. I have made many batches and now prefer either coopers Irish Stout or OS Stout to the bought stuff. I just use BE2 for both.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried the Coopers Irish Stout some time back, used too little water (by accident) and added 1kg of DME in stead of the recipe on the tin. The stout turned out lovely, but since this was my first attempt at brewing I made a few mistakes. I did not have the exact starting volume and I did not take the initial gravity reading. I ended up with 1016. I bottled about 18 liters.

Then I tried the recipe on the Coopers Irish Stout tin and made sure about the 23liters starting volume as well. 500g DME and 300g Dextrose. Starting gravity was around 1053, and it fermented out all the way down to 1008. This stout is a bit too bitter and too dry for my liking.

So I tried to brew the same kit again, now aiming for 23liters, but I wanted it to end near 1016 like my first batch (hopefully tasting less bitter and less dry). After much reading and points calculations I worked out that I should use the Coopers tin + 1,5kg of DME.

The starting gravity turned out to be only 1044. How on earth is this possible? I am pretty sure I added the right amount of water and DME and the tin's contents has to be the same. According to all the calculators on the web I've tried, my initial gravity should be considerably higher (at least 1051).

Any insight from you gurus would be appreciated

1.5kg DME can be a PITA to mix in properly. Was yours mixed thoroughly? You can often get a false lower OG reading when the ingredients haven't been mixed in fully.

If this recipe doesn't work out then you could look into adding lactose to your next brew to counter the bitterness and dryness.

I had a Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout today and it was a lovely drop [love]

Hi Hairy

I could not agree more. I had that problem when I brewed a TCS Traditional Draught the other day. I added the DME to hot water and it made terrible clumps. On that subject - the Traditional Draught had a strong ginger smell right from the tin. It is bottled now, but still the ginger smell lingers. Is this normal?

For yesterday's brew, I followed the advice from PB2, i.e. add the DME to a drip-dry fermenter, then add 2 liters of very hot water then swirl. OK I did not swirl but I stirred vigorously and it seemed to dissolve pretty easily. I actually added 3 liters of just boiled water.

Maybe with some luck, the DME will all dissolve and I will get my target final SG [happy]

The yeast will ferment it whether it's dissolved or not so you shouldn't have any problem with the final gravity.

+1 for Kelsey's comment. Every now and then i have a shocker when i dissolve my DME, but come bottling time theres just lovely smooth trub....no lumps at all[biggrin]

• 1 year later...
1.5kg DME can be a PITA to mix in properly. Was yours mixed thoroughly? You can often get a false lower OG reading when the ingredients haven't been mixed in fully.

If this recipe doesn't work out then you could look into adding lactose to your next brew to counter the bitterness and dryness.

I had a Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout today and it was a lovely drop [love]

Hi Hairy. Can you share a recipe for the Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout? Sounds yummy.

Hi Hairy. Can you share a recipe for the Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout? Sounds yummy.
Sorry Christina' date=' I haven't brewed this one, I just drank it at a pub.

I also tried searching the net for a recipe but there was nothing out there.[/quote']

You mean the recipe for that beer listed on this page... whistling

Thirsty Crow Beer Bio: Vanilla Milk Stout

I hope that helps....the pair of you. wink

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Ha-ha-ha, thanks Lusty! lol

Yes, the recipe does look good, and as you say, not too hard to convert to extract....I am still new at this, but here is a kits and bits version of the recipe that I came up with using Brewer's Friend recipe calculator and Ian's spread sheet (they give me different stats but this is my best guess):

Thirsty Crow style Vanilla Milk Stout

1.7kg Coopers Lager

1.5kg Coopers light LME

400gm Lactose

325mg Crystal 30L

275gm Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate

325gm Thomas Fawcett Black Patent

15gm Kent Goldings x 10 minutes

23ml Vanilla Extract

23 liters of water

1 pkg S-04 yeast plus kit yeast

Bulk prime with 155gm table sugar

How does that look Lusty, and Hairy? I added a 10 min hop addition to get the IBUs up.

Unfortunately my LHBS does not carry pale chocolate malt, only regular chocolate malt. Is there any way to work around that, say using less chocolate malt, maybe half as much?

Hi Christina.

I ran your recipe through my brewing calculator, & given the fact you wish to use the lager kit as a base, I reckon you've done very well with your conversion. smile

I wouldn't worry about the chocolate malt issue. If you are concerned, ask yourself, do I want to sacrifice flavour for colour? I think I know what your answer to that will be. biggrin

The only other thing I thought worth noting was the yeast fermentation advice on the Thirsty Crow page. I personally wouldn't follow that advice if using the S-04. I'd pitch in the low 20's & ferment it @ the 21°C mark it mentions "over course of ferment".

It hits all the right marks for a sweet stout, & depending on attenuation from the combination of the S-04 + kit yeast, it should finish somewhere around the 1.020 mark.

If you do go ahead with the brew, keep us abreast of how it all goes. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 years later...

Archived