Coopers Community

Smoty Ale

John

Hi all.

My SMOTY has had 2 weeks in the bottle so was due for a tasting this weekend.

At bottling stage I was concerned that it was too bitter as I couldn't taste the malt flavours. Also the colour was quite brown. After 2 weeks the malt falvours have come through in spades, the bitterness is well balanced and the colour is awesome - dark with a red tint when held to the light. A really tasty recipe well worth repeating.

For me - another 2 weeks or so will make it even better - the hops was still slightly too prominent for my tasebuds in a dark ale. Cheers for the recipe PB2!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW - careful - hold onto your clingfilm ladies - it is an active ferment...

I used my blow-off tube into the softdrink bottle - a bit of foam in the tube nut nothing like the stout volcano.

Trusty - I used some yeast that I salvaged and cleaned from the trub of my last Sparkling Ale a few months ago. It was originally cultured from Pale Ale.

It went off like a frog in a sock [surprised [w00t] [surprised

It was scary - I feared for my life when I opened the brewing fridge.[devil]

It fired up pretty quickly and reached the top and delicately kissed the cling wrap before retreating slightly back into the darkness.

Hi GUys

I'm a little behind the times but I'm gunna do this one next. From reading this thread and speaking to a mate though - sounds like I need to take some care during the ferment.

Would it be advisable then to only add one sachet of yeast and maybe add another one a few days in rather than add both at once and risk a ferment-over? This is my first two-can mix so I'm a little cautious.

Thanks!

I'd add both yeasts Chris. If you're worried about an overly active ferment you could reduce your volume by a few litres and then gently top it up to the 23L mark a couple of days into fermentation once the foam has dropped back a bit.

I did mine to the full volume and it came up and gently kissed my cling wrap before receeding. I still have it sitting in my brewing fridge but it was pretty much done in 4-5days at 18C.

I'll give it a go then! I've got about 70 bottles on the shelf below my fermenter in my brew fridge conditioning, they're gunna get awfully sticky if we have an overflow.

More in a couple of days! :)

Not the same? GRARGH. I sent the girlfriend to the brew shop (before you start it's at the end of the street her twin lives in so she passes a lot more often than I do) and she asked for East Kent Goldings and they gave her these two packets.

Do I use them the same way? i.e. 10g in my boil @ 15 mins, then 20 at flame out?

Edit:

This mob http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=623 seem to imply it's the same stuff, just grown elsewhere.

The back of the pack says "A noble armoa hop developed in England in 1790. Soft, earthy, vaguely farm-like aroma. Widely Cultivated".

If I order some REAL EK Goldings online, are they right to be shipped unrefridgerated?

I WAS SO CLOSE :(

At the risk of sounding like a WW, terroir plays a major role in hop character, as it does with grapes.

"EKG is EKG". Grab EKG rhizomes and grow them somewhere else on the planet, voila , a different hop. [sideways]

Still worth the effort of making the brew with Goldings and evaluating the end result for yourself. [cool]

For future reference Chris, Craftbrewer, who you mentioned up a couple of posts, are very reliable and helpful.

I have had hops sent by them to Sydney several times. They arrive quickly, fresh and in a shrink rap foil package. They were all in better shape (and cheaper) than if I trudged out to my LHBS to get them.

I bottled my Smoty Ale Saturday 15 May after 17 days in the tub. Given the long settling period, will there be ample yeast to fully carbonate in 2ndary fermentation? I tried one after 1 week and there wasn't much fizz of which to speak...[pouty] I had them inside in esky's (1 hard, 1 soft) and moved them to the brewhouse where i have a constant 18-19oC.

I used a recultured yeast from 2 CPA Longies (my first go and it all went to plan, although I didnt check activity with a microscope [innocent] "

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Paul, I 've been able to drink my first SMOTY Ale today.

Here is the photographic proof

smoty-ale.jpg

As has been already mentioned, its quite bitter, but still pleasant to drink. I wonder how its bitterness will develop over time.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to Paul, I 've been able to drink my first SMOTY Ale today.

Here is the photographic proof

smoty-ale.jpg

As has been already mentioned, its quite bitter, but still pleasant to drink. I wonder how its bitterness will develop over time.

WOW, very jealous Tricky. I tried another of my SMOTY's last night and it had minimal carbonation still, even after reviving the yeast and warming for another week. the hops have mellowed somewhat, the flavour is very pleasing, for flat beer.

I used recultured pale ale yeast and left it in the fermenter for ages, something like 18-19 days. do you reckon a combo of this is the reason for flat beer? (when I say flat, there is a small amount of bubbles on the outer edge of the glass - I tried a plastic cup, same - with almost no bubles rising to the surface)

Is there anything I can do to save this terrific tasting brew?

You could try running through the process again - ie. warm the bottles above 20C, give them a shake to re-suspend the yeast and leave them to condition.

I find that this style presents very nicely with less carbonation and around 8C, a bit like the Motueka Slam IPA - loved it straight out of the FV. [tongue]

You could try running through the process again - ie. warm the bottles above 20C, give them a shake to re-suspend the yeast and leave them to condition.

I find that this style presents very nicely with less carbonation and around 8C, a bit like the Motueka Slam IPA - loved it straight out of the FV. [tongue]

Thanks PB2,if there was enough yeast to bring the wort down to bottling fg there shouldn't be a worry about there being enough yeast to carbonate? I am a little worried about my first effort at reculturing....I know your angle with the lower carbonated dark beer, this is just too flat to enjoy.

After 1 week of warmth following a resuspensory shake I have had the heat pad in with the 26 longies. I will put another in the fridge, give it a few days and have one last crack before another "shake'n'bake".

everything is crossed!

• 2 months later...

Archived