Coopers Community

Toucan - dark ale + stout

SteveL

Well I just downed that longneck primed with one carb drop. In my opinion, it certainly is better than the two carb drops. Still held a very nice head right to the last drop, and just tasted more like a stout due to the lower carbonation. In my next stout batch I will certainly use one carb drop per longneck.

oh and BTW this stout is tasting beautiful [love] it has now been in the bottle for a little over a month.

In my opinion' date=' it certainly is better than the two carb drops.[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback, very comforting given I bottled last night with one carb drop.

It's a ripper, isn't it...and it only gets better with age

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the dark and stout containers. Can anyone quickly tell me the answer to two questions:

1) when and how (if?) do I add the 1 kg sugar?

2) how much blackberry jelly dissolved in water should I add? 250 mL per 23 L?

Thanks to the wizards of brewing for helpful answers in advance.

ATB,

BSL; Manlius, NY USA

Blackberry jelly? Never tried adding that to my brews, if you do make sure to post back about how it turns out. If you haven't made this recipe before I would strongly recommend that you omit the jelly this time so that you have a good benchmark for the flavor difference. As for the dextrose, just dissolve it in hot water in your FV before you add the beer kits. If you are using a small fermenter start with a lower volume of water and top up to 23 liters after the krausen dies down. (usually a few days) Cheers! and good luck! [happy]

Thanks. I did already try the stout-dark mixture with 150 mL of licorice extract in 23L. It was very good. So, I'm ready to try the blackberry flavoring. I'll let you know.

Did you have a suggestion of how to make up the sugar mixture, in terms of water volume and temperature?

Thanks again.

BSL

Actually, pectin is a nature component of syrup from berries. It's basically what's left after you crush the berries and drain the syrup (the goop left over). So, the berry syrup has some pectin it naturally. When you may jam or jelly, you add some more to get the whole mixture to become semi-solidified. Anyway, I should know in a few days how it tastes after some fermentation occurs. I'll let you all know.

BSL

I put a mixture of 250 mL of home-made blackberry jelly with water (half and half) in to the fermentation vessel with the standard ingredients of 1 can stout, 1 can dark, and 1 kg sugar.

It's done fermenting after 7 days. And, the result is outstandingly good. The jelly is homemade from hand-picked fruit, made only with syrup, water, sugar, and pectin.

I thought it might be too 'fruity', but it's not. It is good.

BSL

Manlius, NY

I put down a toucan last week -

2 x Coopers Original Stout

1kg x Dextrose

Temp between 24C - 26C.

OG - 1058

FG - 1011

I thought it would be higher, but it was the same OG measured with glass and plastic hydrometers. After 5 days it was 1012, after 7 days it seems to have bottomed out at 1011. Gonna bottle it tonight...

• 1 month later...

Toucan of Coopers Stout & Dark Ale,500g LDM, 300g Dex, 20g PoR hops (dry).

Fermented at 20 to 22 deg C.

Turned out a top drop at 6 months bottled LDM gives the brew a nice light head.

Note though, may be able to lower the amount of Raw sugar used to prime from 1 tea spoon to about 1/2 to 3/4 as this was a bit gassey.[biggrin]

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I put down this recipe on Saturday as suggested and forgot to check OG.

1xcoopers original stout

1xcoopers original dark ale

1kg dextrose

Used my 60lt FV in case of volcano and pitched yeast at 24'C, should be able to keep temp at about 18'C if weather stays cool.Any thoughts on an FG? I think I'll go with half the usual sugar for priming as well, as a gassy stout don't work!

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Was just wondering if this Toucan Stout recipe would work with Bitter instead of Dark Ale?

Also, would this recipe benefit from any other additions? Maybe a small grain addition like Choc or Black Patent, or another malt to enhance the maltiness?

I was also thinking of adding a slight vanilla flavour, and maybe a slight smokyness. Any ideas how to achieve that?

Thanks.

Mick.

Hi Snags,

Try this one.

Campfire Porter

1.7Kg OS Stout

1.7Kg English Bitter

200g Smoked Malt (cracked & steeped)

200g Dextrose

23L water

160g white sugar bulk prime

14g Cooper's Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

OG 1.054 FG 1.013 ABV 6%

Nice smokeiness with a creamey head. 2 months in the bottle.

If you can't get Smoked malt then try 5ml 'Liquid Smoke'.

Thank you for that.[biggrin]

Not to sound rude[devil] , but which of the two do you think is the nicer brew? Taking into account sessionability, smoothness, flavour etc?

Also, can the grain be cold steeped? Like over night or somehting?

Could Choc Malt sub if I can't get Smoked Malt?

Cheers.

Snags,

I think using the malt make a superior brew but the 'liquid malt' give the same sort of flavour but does not contribute to the body or head retention. I just sampled a 6 month 'Liquid smoke' stout. It is quite nice but does not have the body of the much younger 'Campfire Porter'. Maybe add 20g Crystal malt with your 'liquid smoke' recipe.

I've never done a cold steep myself but I think I've heard it done. I've never used Choc malt either but I'm sure it would do just fine.

I can't make up my mid which I'd rather (PB2's Toucan, or the Campfire Porter) so I'm going to do both with slight mods.[roll]

Toucan Stout

1.7 OS Stout

1.7 OS Dark Ale

200g Thomas Fawcett Pale Choc Malt (30min steep @ 70')

1kg Light Malt Extract

1/2 bottle Boysenberry flavouring

23L

Both kit yeasts

Toucan Porter

1.7 OS Stout

1.7 OS English Bitter

250g Briess Victory Malt (30min steep @ 70')

500g Dark Malt Extract

300g Dextrose

250ml Dark Belgium Candi Syrup

23L

Both Kit yeasts

Thoughts?

I am really not after huge amounts of bitterness, as I would rather a smooth malt driven brew, (maybe lactose may be better than the dextrose???) so if I'm barking up the wrong tree, please let me know. [pinched]

I realise it will mellow with time, and I am planning on these going away until Winter.[joyful]

Cheers guys, you are tops![love]