Toucan - dark ale + stout

SteveL

I've been brewing Stout+Dark Ale for a while now:

1 Can Coopers Stout Extract

1 Can Coopers Dark Ale Extract

1 Kg Unhopped Dark Malt Extract

1 Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

1 Packet of Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast - 10g

(50% activated with 2 tsp sugar, water, 50% sprinkled)

50g Cascade Hops

26 litres total

Activated hops with boiling water for 5min, and then dumped the bag into the FV.

OG 1072

PT 22C

FG = 1022

Est. ABV 7%

The yeast flocculates well, and is good for salvaging.

Primary fermentation takes at least 2 weeks, followed by 2 weeks of secondary fermentation (2 glucose tablets / 750ml)

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding partially filling the FV: if I do a standard two cans plus 1kg dextrose in a 30l FV' date=' do I need to partially fill it will the 30l give enough headroom?[/quote']

I have two fvs, one is the Coopers 34 litre with Krausen thingo, I haven't had it leak doing toucan stouts. The other FV, I suppose it's 30 litre, it can leak a little.

I'm certainly glad I only filled to around 15-16l in my 30l FV. 24 hours later it is bubbling vigorously at 19c and the foam is near the top.

I was going to say it would be fine in a 30 L FV if you have temperature control.

I've only ever had one go volcanic.

I've been brewing Stout+Dark Ale for a while now:

1 Can Coopers Stout Extract

1 Can Coopers Dark Ale Extract

1 Kg Unhopped Dark Malt Extract

1 Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

1 Packet of Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast - 10g

(50% activated with 2 tsp sugar' date=' water, 50% sprinkled)

50g Cascade Hops

26 litres total

Activated hops with boiling water for 5min, and then dumped the bag into the FV.

OG 1072

PT 22C

FG = 1022

Est. ABV 7%

The yeast flocculates well, and is good for salvaging.

Primary fermentation takes at least 2 weeks, followed by 2 weeks of secondary fermentation (2 glucose tablets / 750ml)

[/quote']Why only re-hydrate half the yeast? You're better off doing the whole lot. It doesn't need sugar either, only plain tap water boiled then cooled to mid 30s degrees. You can add some sugar after it's been re-hydrated properly to give it a bit of food and also bring its temp closer to that of the wort, but it's of no real benefit putting the sugar in straight away.

Also, hops don't need to be "activated", what you've done is simply a short hop boil. Advisable not to throw all the hop matter into the fermenter either, boiled hop matter doesn't provide any benefits in the fermenter. Simply pour the water through a strainer into the fermenter to keep the hops out, or if they're in a bag remove that then pour the water into the fermenter. The water is where the aromatics and flavor compounds are once the hops have been soaked, steeped or boiled.

So, after 5 days, I topped up my Toucan from 17l to 23l. The krausen had settled by then but I noticed it had left a fair bit of residue along the walls of the fermenter before I topped up. This residue is now submerged following the top up. Do you think it will affect the beer in any way?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this one (1 stout, 1 dark, 1 kg dex) and have pitched yeast with wort at 15L. Took OG which is 1.075

Is this the reading I use to work out Alcohol Volume or do I take OG when I fill up wort to 23L in a few days??

Cheers

Samisons

Just started this one (1 stout' date=' 1 dark, 1 kg dex) and have pitched yeast with wort at 15L. Took OG which is 1.075

Is this the reading I use to work out Alcohol Volume or do I take OG when I fill up wort to 23L in a few days??

Cheers

Samisons[/quote']

You should be able to check your ABV here.

Calculator

I must get another toucan on. Twice I've been asked this week if I'm brewing one.

In fact I'll probably make two.

*Actually just taking a look the garage and I have 3 cases of aged stout.

There's also about 45 bottles of one I made in November. I picked up the wrong

grain though for that one. I picked up black malted grain instead of choc maltpicard.gif.

I tried one the other day. It's OK but not as good. Luckily the grain was $1

and the Stout was $5 because it was out of date by a couple of months.

so looking at brewing a stout...

new to stouts and toucan brewing and want it to be good.

1 x coopers Dark ale

1 x coopers stout

500g dextrose

2 x can yeasts

Using the standard coopers FV (red 2 piece tap) do i need to add say 15ltrs, then top up to 23ltrs once the krausen has died down? or if i can find my krausen collar...will that be eniough to stop the overflow...or will it be ok with the 23ltrs straight up?

And

do i have to re-activate the coopers yeasts or will both can yeasts be enough?

and

brew temps? 19-21c?

thanks guys!

so looking at brewing a stout...

new to stouts and toucan brewing and want it to be good.

1 x coopers Dark ale

1 x coopers stout

500g dextrose

2 x can yeasts

Using the standard coopers FV (red 2 piece tap) do i need to add say 15ltrs' date=' then top up to 23ltrs once the krausen has died down? or if i can find my krausen collar...will that be eniough to stop the overflow...or will it be ok with the 23ltrs straight up?

And

do i have to re-activate the coopers yeasts or will both can yeasts be enough?

and

brew temps? 19-21c?

thanks guys![/quote']

I think you'll get away with the collar. I've only ever had one of mine go volcanic.

I just top up to 23 or 25 litres and stick it in the fridge at 20C.

I reactive the yeast, both packets that is.

I put anywhere between 500g and a kilo of dextrose depending on how I'm feeling on the day.

I always steep 250-300 grams of Choc Malt grain to go in mine too. I & my friends think that it makes a much better beer.

Hi All,

Put this toucan on 7 days ago. Pitched yeast at 27 degrees but quickly cooled wort down to 21-24 degrees over the past week.

OG was 1.072 and current gravity is 1.012

This seems to have happened real quick (7 days). Will check it again in 3 days time. I assume it will be about the same. Then can I bottle?

This is only my second ever brew still a bit gun shy

Does this sound Ok?

.....Taste of beer is good.

Hi All' date='

Put this toucan on 7 days ago. Pitched yeast at 27 degrees but quickly cooled wort down to 21-24 degrees over the past week.

OG was 1.072 and current gravity is 1.012

This seems to have happened real quick (7 days). Will check it again in 3 days time. I assume it will be about the same. Then can I bottle?

This is only my second ever brew still a bit gun shy

Does this sound Ok?

.....Taste of beer is good. [/quote']

Any help much appreciated!!!innocent

I have a rule of thumb, whenever you think it's time to bottle, leave it for another couple days.

I missed that with my second last brew and it's overcarbed in the extreme! Glad I used PET bottles for that one. Shame because it's such a nice beer, the Zesty Blond recipe.

Hi RepSpec.

so ive got mine bubbling away at the moment...

whats the going rate for bulk priming?

I was thinking around 6g/ltr?

The general consensus seems to be if you plan to drink them early (within the first 2-3 months) then prime as normal. If you plan to age them beyond that point' date=' then lower your priming rate towards half the normal rate.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

the plan was to cellar it until winter (june-ish) and go from there.

My standard is 8g per ltr so your suggesting 4g per ltr? First time making a stout

I always use 8 grams per litre, so 184 grams per 23 litres for my other style of beers.

For the first stout I made I used 100 grams of dextrose. It was rubbish. Hardly any carbonation whatsoever.

For the next one I upped it to 140 grams. Still wasn't that great.

Now I use 7-8 grams and it seems fine. At least I like it and so do my mates.

I've got three cases out in the garage. One lot is from June 2016 which I used 8 grams per litre.

The other lot is from last February and unfortunately I didn't write down how much dextrose I used. I might put one of each in the fridge and try them later in the week.

Hi All

Just a question on the toucan recipe being discussed in this thread. If i fill only to 15 litres (to allow room for the krausen to expand - filling to 23 after the krausen subsides) i will not be able to get an accurate OG reading will I?

In that case I would need to go by Ian H's spreadsheet for a guide to what the OG would have been?

Cheers

Simon