Coopers Community

Toucan - dark ale + stout

SteveL

Ah, ok, would US-05 be better than the kit yeast?

I think I'll try 250ml of the candy syrup in the "Porter" recipe just to see how it turns out. From reading a bit, I think I will like what it might add.

Other than that, do the basic foundations (amount of ingredients) sound right?

Cheers.

Mick, US-05 would be fine. But so would the kit yeast.

You may read on here about people not using the kit yeast but it generally has nothing to do with the style of yeast.

The Coopers yeast is a good quality hardy and forgiving yeast. The problem usually is the way the cans are stored by the distributors and retailers. Sitting the cans in an extremely hot environment is unkind to the yeast.

You just don't know.

Having said that, the few times I have used kit yeast have worked out fine.

You can always make a starter with the kit yeast to ensure they are viable and increase the quantity.

Or for a few bucks get yourself some yeast from LHBS.

Ok thanks for that.

I might just stick with the kit yeast for the time being.

And I meant to write rehydrated yeast, not recultured. . [pinched] which is making a starter? Is that correct?

Damn I feel stupid asking these questions![pinched]

The Coopers yeast is a good quality hardy and forgiving yeast. The problem usually is the way the cans are stored by the distributors and retailers. Sitting the cans in an extremely hot environment is unkind to the yeast.

You just don't know.

I've never had a problem with the viablity of Cooper's yaest. I use other yeast to acheive a different taste or style.

For dark beers or stouts cooper's kit yeast is great. If you are going for an American PA US-05 is the go.

• 2 months later...

I kegged this one last Tuesday (6 days ago) and I am surprised that I am able to drink it now. Well I expected I could drink it but as to like it this young was another question. Not a bad drop young as to old..

1 can Stout

1 can Dark Ale

200g choc malt steeped at 65C for 30 minutes in a coffee plunger

500g LDM

500g Dextrose

Fermented and CC for about 3 weeks.

As I said I was surprised I am able to actually like this so young. It's been a while since I did the Stout/Dark toucan and the last time I only used 1kg dex and bottled for 8 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

In the past I have brewed a coopers toucan dark & stout but am just starting to delve into the all grain method now.

My kit recipe was:

1.7kg coopers stout can

1.7kg coopers dark can

1.5kg Amber Liquid Malt (from homebrew store)

Plus aroma hopping and a few grains steeped and added. I only brewed 18L and it turned out delicious!

Anyway I was hoping someone could help me work out a rough grain recipe to create something similar to above. Obviously the ingredients of the cans can't be disclosed but I just don't know where to start to make something as similar as possible using all grain.

Thanks Heaps!

• 9 months later...

I'll be putting this one down later on tonight. Doing it as Muddy has recommended.

1 Can of Coopers Dark ale

1 can of Coopers Stout

1 kg of dextrose

Re-cultured Coopers commercial yeast

Looking forward to the volcanic Krausen. Quite fitting really seeming as Mount Tongariro (NZ) is erupting at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

I like stout any time of the year primarily in winter I [love] [love] [love] LOOOOOVVEEEEEE[love] [love] [love] Coopers best extra stout so I am really looking forward to doing this recipe. Just 1 question we usually avoid using large amounts of dextrose with a max of 300g. Seems a lot of people like this recipe so the 1kg of dex musn't be noticeable.

Yeah, it's a top drop I must say. My batch is currently 3 months in the bottle, I tried one at 2 weeks, and since then I've been trying one each month to see how it's progressing and it's coming along nicely. For some reason the 1kg of dex isn't noticeable, it's really there to boost the ABV. Mine came out at 7.1%. [lol]

It'll be two weeks in the fermenter tonight, and I think I might bottle it. Specific gravity seems to have stopped going down at around 1.016, which probably seems about right given the amount of dark and roasted malts in the kits. That's with the re-cultured Coopers yeast as per Muddy's recipe done to 23 litres.

What final gravity readings has everyone else got with this one?

P.S. This one is going to taste awesome in a few months time!!!