Coopers Community

Toucan - dark ale + stout

SteveL

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

What size fermenters are you using?

I use a 30lt fermenter and have never had a foam-over.

Even with high gravity brews, they foam up a bit but never reach the cling-wrap.

I only usually fill it to about 23lt.

Is the Coopers fermenter only 25lts?

Also, a tip with simple sugar is to add it after the yeast have consumed the malt sugars so it doesn't chew up the easy stuff first and give up on the harder sugars leaving a high FG. (I dissolve it in boiling water and cool it before adding)

• 1 month later...

Did you get this brew on after?

Any feedback on the results, being Irish I do love a good stout.

Did a Brewmaster Irish stout with a full can of Dark LME and 500g brewing sugar. Not a bad brew at all but just a little treacley.

I think I should have went with light or medium extract, maybe?

Anyway interested to hear how this turned out.

Oh and hi from Ireland

• 6 months later...

I'm on my 2nd brew of this recipe,the 1st one I filled to 23lts and of course it went straight out through the airlock.

This time I thought it wise to follow the great advice given on here(ty PB2,Muddy and everyone else who help the noobs).[love]

This batch I've filled to 15lts and will top up tomorrow(4th day).Do I just add the water and leave it alone or give it a gentle stir? Thanks for your help.

Happy Xmas to all,

Phil

Did you get this brew on after?

Any feedback on the results, being Irish I do love a good stout.

Did a Brewmaster Irish stout with a full can of Dark LME and 500g brewing sugar. Not a bad brew at all but just a little treacley.

I think I should have went with light or medium extract, maybe?

Anyway interested to hear how this turned out.

Oh and hi from Ireland

This turned out a cracker...have done a couple now and love it. Has a thick wonderful flavour which rewards patience - mine seem to disappear quickly around the 3-4 month mark though.

Highly recommend this recipe [love]

G'day,

I strongly recommend a recipe from PB2 to replicate the Cooper's Best Extra Stout.

1 Can of Cooper's dark ale

1 can of Cooper's stout

1 kg of dextrose

Re-cultured Cooper's yeast or both the kit yeasts

Simple but very good.

I'm going to be making this stout sometime in the next week, but I have two questions. Can I use 1kg Brew Enhancer 2 instead of the 1kg Dextrose? And having a look at the statistics of the coopers canned kits it seems that these two (stout and dark ale) are two of the more bitter cans, wouldn't a toucan produce excessive bitterness or to I have to do something special to reduce bitterness? Does this recipe need a LONG time to mellow the bitterness?

BE2 would probably do the trick. If you have tasted the commercial Coopers Best Extra Stout that is what it will taste like - but with the higher alcohol that it used to have. It definately gets better with time but it isn't overly bitter at all even when young (when considered in the context that it is a copy of Best Extra Stout.).

So far the Kr\xe4usen Kollar is keeping all of the kr\xe4usen below the lid, I can't imagine the mess if it wasn't there! [surprised

How long does it usually take for the kr\xe4usen to die down? Fermenting at 18C-19C if that's any help...

Here is a picture from the hydrometer sample, can't wait 'till this ones ready! [love]

IMG_3858.jpg?t=1294376935

• 1 month later...