Coopers Community

Wattle seed Stout

Matty H

I'm thinking of experimenting with roasted wattle seeds there are a couple of commercial beers out there that have used them.They have a hazelnut coffee aroma witch i think would be a great addition to a stout. I was thinking of steeping 200g for 20-30 mins and adding that to a coopers original stout kit with 1kg of light dry malt. Am i wasting my time any thoughts would be great

Haven't used them, Matt.

From where do you get them? Are they pre-roasted? Would imagine they need to be cracked and steeped or even boiled??

Stout may be too strong and mask the wattle seed?? Then again, they may complement each other nicley...

I can get them preroasted or unroasted whole or crushed. Theres a local store in my town that sells them. theres a few brewerys near where i live in the southwest of WA that have used them sparingly.I havent seen a stout yet but thought the flavours would be perfect together. I supose its just trial and error getting the right mix and flavour. If you ever come across wattle seeds have a whiff you'll know what i'm talking about then. I also think it would be a nice aussie stamp on a beer. I've got another few days till my fermenter is free i'll have a crack then and let ya know how she turns out

• 3 months later...

I did try it and it tasted horrible i think wattle seed has tannin in it. I cant even describe the taste very disapointing.

I have tried a wattle seed beer at a brewery in southwest W.A once and it was very nice. I'm sure it contains tannin though thats the stuff that makes river water brown looking lol. Still tasted better than V.B

Archived