Coopers Community

Coopers Australian Lager

BrettV

Hi fellow brewers. I was wondering what is the best brewing sugar to use for the coopers australian lager? My first brew was the coopers aussie lager with the standard coopers brewing sugar. Turned out nice but is there any other sugars that are better for this brew?

Many brewers have moved on to using Brew Enhancer 2 with most of their brews.

In your house, the chief brewer is you!! As the CB, you can choose to use any form of fermentable sugars. Take notes of your process and ingredients then judge the beer for yourself.

For recipe ideas, go to the How to Brew section.

• 3 months later...

I am about to attempt my first ever homebrew using the coopers kit. I have read that lagers should be fermented in colder temps. Is this true of the lager that comes with the kit, the australian lager? The instructions give a ferment temperature range of 21-25 degrees, but in my house in the SA winter, I'm getting 8-15 degrees.

The lager that comes with the kit has an easier ale yeast but is made to mimic a lager. It should be brewed in the low end of the 20-25 deg range (as low as 18 deg even) if you can, but it will also ferment at much higher temps. It will not do well at low true lager temps.

Cheers

Dan

Thanks Dan, I just came across similar info on the OCAU wiki page on homebrewing. They suggest replacing the yeast that comes with the kit with a 'superior yeast' as the kit one is designed to survive on the shelf and in transit through a range of temps. I think I will go and buy some real lagert yeast so I can brew without having to worry about modifying the temperature yet. Thanks

Ben, or you could try the Coopers European Lager kit (maybe this recipe)

It comes with a true lager yeast.

For Ale yeast you can try re-culturing the Coopers Pale Ale yeast, commercial yeast

Saves buying yeast, you get to drink the pale ale, and you can re-use the yest from the fermenter, so everyone's a winner.

The good thing about being your own brew master is you can do anything you want, and if it does turn out badly, you can hide the evidence. [tongue]

Archived