Coopers Community

Coopers Draught

MatthewB

Anyone got any recipies for a killer draft?

I have tried several combinations with this product. My favourite so far has been ALL MY BREWS ARE DOUBLE BATCHES 40litres final vol, 2 cans draft, 1x#1BE, 1x#2BE,1x500g Light Dry Malt.

I have also tried saaz hops - with the above - didn't really like the flavour - I may have used too many

Then I tried 1 liquid light malt can , 1x#1 BE - ended up tasting really really nice - but was more of an ale and I am not a huge fan of ales - I am more of a larger or draft person.

Lastly, I tried the 1x#1BE, 1x#2,BE 1x500g light dry malt and 200g crystal malt grain - again I didn't like it - too earthy and strong - others loved it though.

Any one else got some experiences to share?

If you are using the yeast supplied with the Draught Beer Kit (it's ale yeast) and you prefer lager over ale, you can reduce the amount of ale like aromas and flavours by fermenting the brew at lower temp' - it can go as low as 16C-18C. Of course, it will take a few days longer to finish fermenting.

Instead of the yeast in the kit, I'm currently making a batch using Danstar Nottingham yeast. It was brewed Saturday, and is happily bubbling away as we speak. I'm keeping the temperature between 57 and 60 F (14-15 C), which is supposed to give the brew more lager-like characteristics. I've added a 50/50 blend of maltodextrin and pilsen dried malt extract (roughly a kilo). I also made it a 5 (not 6) US gallon volume.

I will post my results when it's ready. Usually I follow a 2 week fermentation, 2 week carbonation, 2 week conditioning schedule. However, since I'm trying to brew it more as a true lager, this will probably go 2.5/2.5/2.5.

Although, maltodextrin is to some extent fermentable, its primary role is for adding body to the brew, not alcohol.

The combination of the beer kit, 1kg of malt extract and reduced volume should result in a brew with plenty of body.

If it's more alcohol that you want, add some dextrose.

Archived