Coopers Community

cider

Dutchbrew76

I'm interested in doing a sweet cider too. I was going to use 12L of aldi apple juice and 8L of Apple & Pear juice. I was thinking of useing lactose or maybe just splenda to bring the sweetness up. I was going to use Safale S-04 yeast and maybe a bit of yeast nutrient. I am also considering adding malt (for which the purists would surely beat me with their handbags).

So basically I'm just saying that I'd also be interested in any advice or ideas that anyone may have.

The nutrients in the malt may help the yeast.

If you keg - you won't need to add lactose or sweeteners - just stop the ferment short of FG, rack to a secondary and cold condition for a week or so, transfer to a keg and force carb with CO2.

Cider is more subtle in flavour than beer so I would be using something cleaner than S-04. Nottingham, perhaps??

Might be worth checking the ingredients on the Brigalow can - it may have some form of artificial sweetener??

If not, you will probably need a lot of lactose (bucket loads) to achieve the sweetness that your other half likes. There are degrees of sweetness, what commercial ciders do you have in mind?

Dropped into Two Brothers the other night and tried their new pear apple cider, called Gypsy. Very easy to drink on a hot night and the wife loved it.

I asked Andrew how they get the residual sweetness. A similar technique to Paul's suggestion, he said that they estimate when the brew will get to around 4% and then they put the chillers on. When its chilled they filter it into the serving tanks. It doesn't matter if it is 4am, Andrew will head down to the brewery to put those chillers on.

Just like home brewing, I suppose but on a bigger scale.

Paul...nats always on at me to make a cider.....

maybe Coopers should make a kit cider?

What do you think would be the best way to do it? from a kit?

or can i just get 23 liters of juice.....would be kinda expensive....then just chuck some yeast in?....ale?....or Lager? would that work?

anyother ideas?

Cheers! :P

You'll have some idea by taking a reading of the SG. Why not plan to make a brew at around the 15 litre mark, once mixed, take the SG reading and if way too high add some more water.

A very rough rule of thumb for estimated alcohol when also secondary fermenting:

OG 1028 - 3.5%

OG 1032 - 4%

OG 1036 - 4.5%

OG 1040 - 5%

OG 1044 - 5.5%

OG 1048 - 6%

Archived