Coopers Community

James Squire Amber Ale Clone.

Divey

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Cant beleive this beer has been out for so long just bought a slab today as i had a win on Honey Flower ridden by glen boss my favourite jockey.

Must say im dissapointed am getting too much of the sweetness from crystal malt coming through. Seemed ballanced first few beers i drank 3 and onwards sweetness is all i can taste. Funny how its described as distinctive hops???? distinctive as in not there? lol still not bad but expected more at the same time i guess if they were all hopped to the shit house all there beers could be criticised for being too similar. I dont think ill be buying another slab to be honest id rather VB now there using original recepie again [innocent]

Hi Sir Jimmius.

VB in preference to JS Amber Ale? You're kidding right? [pinched]

However, I would say I prefer to drink the Amber Ale on tap, rather than out of the bottle.

Unless they changed the recipe recently, it is still one of my fav commercial brews during the winter. [joyful]

Beer.

The sad part is im not kidding i am really dissapointed how the all i can taste 3 beers and onwards is the crystal malt. I bought it knowing how good malt and shovell brews usually are. But each to there own alot of posts on here support it i guess its an accuired taste that i just dont have beyond 2 stubbies.

Guess ill just have to drink 2 every night and then get onto something else until its all gone. Id rather 150 lashes but for the price i wont buy it until win another horse race. Im trying different things while get my home brew stockpile decent again.

• 6 months later...

My experience personally, the JS Amber Ale is much better on tap, failing that I always poured mine out into a separate glass (from the stubby) to drink as it seemed to make a difference.

With regards to the JS Amber Ale home brew clones, I tried PB2's recipe and thought it was sensational - about to put another down. It's definitely part of the regular rotation now, such a good drop.

I always poured mine out into a separate glass (from the stubby) to drink as it seemed to make a difference.

I've noticed that with a lot of beers. I took a few of my pale ales to a mate's place one night and drank them from the bottle because I couldn't find a glass, and compared to pouring them into a glass they tasted bloody terrible. I think it's because most of your sense of taste is governed by smell and by pouring the beer into a glass you are able to get the full aroma of it that you just don't get by drinking it from the bottle.

• 2 months later...

Hi All, we've done a few basic kit brews and starting to venture into variations and hop additions, hoping to have a crack at an all grain brew in the near future. Yesterday I tried this recipe and hope I did it right.

I can't help you with head Warren [innocent] but I made a pretty good Amber Ale made from PB2's recommendations on another thread.

My final recipe was:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

250g Dark Brown Sugar

15g Cascade (5g @15, 10g dry hopped)

15g Fuggles (5g @15, 10g dry hopped)

6L Boil with 1/3 of the amber malt tin.

This turned out a beer that was very similar to JSAA but with a bit more hop character. Very nice - I'll make this again for sure.

I boiled about 1/3 of the amber malt with 5l of water and 5g of each of the hop pellets, then put the rest of the hops in the fermenter after all the other ingredients were done. I didn't use a hop bag which maybe I should have, and didn't strain the boiled liquid either. I'm hoping that everythig will settle to the bottom of the fermenter. I'll transfer it to another vesel after about 2 weeks, bulk prime and bottle. So maybe this will be enough time for it all to settle? time will tell.

Thanks for the recipe PB2.

- Brad

Welcome to the forum Brad!

Looks like a good beer. The hop matter should settle out in the FV with time. If you have the ability to crash chill it then this will help the process too.

Good luck with it.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, this weel I tasted the brew from my post above.

It tastes good, a bit more bitter than I would like so if I do it again I might reduce the amount of hops in the boil.

A question for those in the know however is will the bitterness subside with further bottle conditioning? it's only been about 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived