Coopers Community

James Squire Amber Ale Clone.

Divey

I have made Amber Ale clones quite a few times. I am pretty sure it needs some roasted grain. The JS Amber Ale off tap has a very slight toasty roasted grain taste in it, I think. My friends think the ones I have made with a bit of grain taste more like the commercial Amber Ale.

Cheers

Lucas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boiling the malt will do nothing toward reducing sweetness. I'm interested to know what led you to think this might be the case??

Just guessed as i figured boiling hops does the same thing.

I think ill add more bittering hops next time. Longer boiling time?

Don't worry about it Paul, I was simply having an amature stab. Only got 5 brews under my belt over here!

I was thinking boiling the malt could increase it's bitterness, but i now realise that i should be boiling the Hops to increase its bitterness for balencing as you mentioned before.

I have made Amber Ale clones quite a few times. I am pretty sure it needs some roasted grain. The JS Amber Ale off tap has a very slight toasty roasted grain taste in it, I think. My friends think the ones I have made with a bit of grain taste more like the commercial Amber Ale.

Cheers

Lucas

I agree. I steeped 30g chocolate malt with 300g of crystal in an extract brew I did (recipe not mine, I found it on AHB from user Tony) I also used Willamette hops with it.

Recipe is

2 x tins of Coopers Pale malt extract

300g crystal

30g chocolate

40g Willamette @ 40 mins

20g Willamette @ 5 mins

Grains steeped in 2 litres for 30-60 mins @ 70 degrees. Bring 1 tin and 12 litres of water to boil. Add grain wort. Do your hop boils.

Thats the recipe I did and it's not too bad. You can use the Coopers Pale Ale kit maybe get rid of the first willamette hop boil. If you just do the 20g for 5 mins and dry hop the Fuggles and Cascade as PB2 suggests, I reckon it's going to be a pretty tasty brew.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I made an J/Squire Golden Ale clone on 5 Dec tasted it today 9 Jan very nice but it has one drawback being a lack of head, the head is minimal but the taste is very good. Ingredients were.

1 CAN COOPERS PALE ALE

500 Light- DME

500 Light- DME/W

15 GM Amarillo 15 min

15 GM Amarillo 5 min

12 GM-F OUT

12g CASCADE AT FLAME OUT 300 DEX

23 LITERS

YEAST COOPERS BOTTLE PALE ALE CULTURE

Boiled the W/DME and DME with hops.

Then added the Coopers can.

Can somebody help with the head? Some like a good head?

I got the recipe from some ware of the net.

Warren

I can't help you with head Warren [innocent] but I made a pretty good Amber Ale made from PB2's recommendations on another thread.

My final recipe was:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

250g Dark Brown Sugar

15g Cascade (5g @15, 10g dry hopped)

15g Fuggles (5g @15, 10g dry hopped)

6L Boil with 1/3 of the amber malt tin.

This turned out a beer that was very similar to JSAA but with a bit more hop character. Very nice - I'll make this again for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

Due to the problem of obtaining Coopers L Amber malt, how would your repice for J/S PaleAle go with 1.2 of LME instead of the liquid malt?

Would the different between pale malt and light malt effect the taste or just the colour?

• 2 weeks later...

M8's,I am having some serious dejavue here. This one sounds close to what I'm doing with my "Pale Ale" post. After reading all 3 pages,I may just boil the Kent Golding for 15 mins,adding the Willamette for 5 mins more. Since they are 4.5 & 4.7% alpha acids respectively,they may add just the right amount of bittering. I'm using 3 lbs of plain extra light SDME,with 1 can Cooper's OS lager malt. I want a pale ale with more mouth feel,a bit more color,& def more hop flavor/aroma. Besides,freshops.com said the Kent Golding is what they use in English bitters (with flowery tones),besides ales. And Willamette is,as they say the top US aroma hop,with tones of flowers,fruit,earth,& spice. I thought it would balance out nicely with the Cooper's ale yeast. Ale yeasts are want to produce fruity esters by nature,so...why not use hops that will further refine those flavors to make them more palatable? This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to git-r-done & compare notes. I came up with the recipe,then read this post,& wow! dejavue,man!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

I'm going to do a brew with a mate, and he requested a JS Amber ale style beer.

So I've read through the posts, and I've got a question about the use of dark sugar... Why use it? Is it just for colour? I've got some pale chocolate malt that I'd like to use up. Will that work in the place of dark sugar?

A few people have made this one. What do you think about:

to 23L

1.70kg Coopers Pale ale

1.50kg Amber LME

0.25kg med crystal

0.20kg pale choc

5L boil

20g EKG for 20 mins

10g Fuggles dry hopped

10g Cascade dry hopped

(because I've got to use three hops... right?)

By the way, I chose those hops because they're what I've got. The order and amounts can change.

Nottingham yeast

The ianh spreadsheet says it's pretty much on the money for most of PB2's post on the specs (with a couple of extra IBUs, alc 5%, EBC 39, IBU 22.6). But not sure about the flavours.

If anyone's got any thoughts or reports on their attempt, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

-Dylan

I made one with the APA kit a few months ago, but I thought it gave the wrong sort of flavour, it wasn't really like JS Amber. Also the amber malt gave it a sweet flavour I wasn't too keen on. You're on the right track with the crystal and choc malt though.

I have another version in the FV that I found on AHB from Tony, it goes (and I've modified it slightly from the original):

3 kg Light LME

580g LDM (for the boil)

300g Dark Crystal

30g Pale Choc

7 litre boil

40g Willamette @ 50 mins

40g Willamette @ 25 mins

20g Willamette @ 15 mins

S-04 or Nottingham yeast and 23 litre batch.

It works out about 25-27 EBC, and a bit over 30 IBU I think. But you could always reduce the boil time or amounts used if you do decide to make that recipe and want the IBUs a bit lesser, or maybe make both recipes and see which one you like better[biggrin]

It tastes a lot closer to it out of the fermenter than the APA based one to me, just with a bit more hop presence than the original. I believe Willamette is the main (maybe only?) hop used in JS Amber, so if you can get a hold of that, use it. If you've got Medium Crystal you could go 300g of that and 50-100g of the Choc for the color and that nutty flavor it has.

Thanks Otto man.

That's really helpful. I'll go the all extract approach, and get some willamette and dark crystal. Any thoughts on the dark brown sugar?

"sorry Bart dude, this thing's for emergencies only".

"sorry Bart dude, this thing's for emergencies only".

[lol]

No worries Dylan. I believe the alcohol content of this recipe is a bit higher (about .5% more) but I'm not too worried about it.

I didn't use the dark brown sugar in either of the brews I made, I'm not really sure what it's there for, it could be for color because it'd pretty much ferment out I would think. You could put it in if you like, I might try it when I make another - JS Amber is one of my favourite beers so I'll probably be making a fair few batches to try and get close to it[lol]

Hey Otto

I spoke to a friend who's used dark brown sugar. He said it gives the "raisin like" favours that PB2 mentioned somewhere in this thread.

I think I'll add a 100g or so with dark crystal and pale choc and see how it turns out.

You may want to use some if you have another go at it.

-Dylan

Interesting. I can't say I've noticed any "raisin like" flavours in JS Amber Ale, however, my tasting skills probably aren't as advanced as PB2 and others. [lol] But yeah, I'll probably brew up an all grain version some time, might chuck in a bit of dark brown sugar and see how it turns out. No harm in trying, and I highly doubt it would make it taste like crap. [cool]

Archived