Coopers Community

James Squire Amber Ale Clone.

Divey

I would like some assistance in making a JS Amber Ale Clone.

I am basically a 100% all grain brewer these days but a friend of a Son has asked if I could assist him making a 50 litre brew using kits and cans of malt extract to make a JS Amber Ale Clone. This is something I did probably close to thirty years ago but I'm now asking for assistance

I have a huge range of hops in cones, pellets & plugs.

Admin - from other post that has been deleted:

Can anybody help me with a 50 litre brew utilising 2 Coopers kits, 2 Cans of Malt extract and a brew enhancer?

Regards,

Divey.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From their website -

Ingredients: a blend of pale and crystal malts, 3 distinct hops and an ale yeast.

Tasting notes: deep copper with a creamy head and a long, slightly nutty finish, 5%abv.

Interersting that there is no mention of hop character in the tasting notes when "3 distinct hops" are listed in the ingredients??

Yeah, that's a little strange. You would have thought they would have mentioned something like a "complex blend of English Hops" or anything similar considering what you have pointed out in their blurb.

Do you have any idea where I should begin with this challenge?

Tasted and tested.

It presents amber with subtle red hues and a beige head. A hint of hop aroma - perhaps slightly herbal and citrus?? Medium body with raisin and dark brown sugar flavours (not sweet, though), insufficient bitterness to clean up the palate.

Colour - 39EBC, SG - 1010, Bitterness \u2013 18IBU, Alc - 5 % abv

The Australian Pale Ale beer kit in 23 litres will yield the appropriate bitterness. Add a can of Thomas Coopers amber malt and 250g of dark brown sugar.

Perhaps go for dry hopping with a blend of Fuggles and Cascade - only 5g of each.

The yeast with the kit will cope nicely wit this recipe \u2013 ferment at 18C \u2013 21C.

Double-up ingredients for a 46 litre brew.

Comment - I think this recipe will give something fairly close to JS Amber Ale but the this beer could easily accommodate 3 times the amount of hop addition (15g of both hops or more if you like), 1/3 in the boil for 15mins and the other 2/3 dry hopped.

Once again, another beer I haven't tasted for quite a while...

As I recall, JS Golden Ale is the amarillo hopped brew, bright and around about the same alcohol as our Pale Ale (4.5%). Underwhelmed is a term that comes to mind but it was a while ago.

More homework whinge, whinge...

I quite enjoyed Dr Smurto's Golden Ale:

1 tin Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers pale liquid malt extract

15g Amarillo @ 15mins

15g Amarillo @ 5 mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped in secondary

Kit yeast

8L of water, add the liquid malt bring to the boil. Add hops as above (time is given as minutes from the end of the boil). 1 week primary ferment at 18degC, rack, dry hop and leave for another week. Bulk primed with 170g dextrose. Leave a month and then enjoy. Mine have been in the bottle for 4 months now and just keep getting better.

The amarillo is probably a bit more in your face than the the real JSGA but I reckon it is a winner.

LOL Muddy did i spell somthing wroung?

Paul, Underwhelmed....your a hard man to please!

I think JS GA is a cracker of a comercial beer.

MMmMmMmMmmmm I LOVE Amarillo!!!

When i was at the SA beer fest last year i was chatting to a guy on the JS stand Michael Jackson. (not the singer/dancer and not the book writer) He was the most in the know about beer, its history and its ingridents out of all the beer reps there. He was the one that told me GA is JS most sold beer. I think the GA taste a little like there Summer Ale.

Tasted and tested.

It presents amber with subtle red hues and a beige head. A hint of hop aroma - perhaps slightly herbal and citrus?? Medium body with raisin and dark brown sugar flavours (not sweet, though), insufficient bitterness to clean up the palate.

Colour - 39EBC, SG - 1010, Bitterness \u2013 18IBU, Alc - 5 % abv

The Australian Pale Ale beer kit in 23 litres will yield the appropriate bitterness. Add a can of Thomas Coopers amber malt and 250g of dark brown sugar.

Perhaps go for dry hopping with a blend of Fuggles and Cascade - only 5g of each.

The yeast with the kit will cope nicely wit this recipe \u2013 ferment at 18C \u2013 21C.

Double-up ingredients for a 46 litre brew.

Comment - I think this recipe will give something fairly close to JS Amber Ale but the this beer could easily accommodate 3 times the amount of hop addition (15g of both hops or more if you like), 1/3 in the boil for 15mins and the other 2/3 dry hopped.

Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a whirl in the near future.

When you dry hop, do you use pellets or plugs?

• 1 month later...

Just bottles this and its Solid with sediment. Put it up to the light and could not see anything through it.

I hope it settles and is still good.

I think its maybe because i forgot to strain it when pouring into fermentor.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a feeling its the Dark Brown Sugar making it too sweet, I was thinking of trying this:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract

250g Dextrose

10g Fuggles

10g Cluster

also possibly 10g Cascade.

Using the same qty of malt exract will yield a similar amount of residual sweetness, assuming the FG is about the same.

Boiling the malt will do nothing toward reducing sweetness. I'm interested to know what led you to think this might be the case??

Reduce the perceived sweetness by reducing the amount of malt extract in the recipe or increasing the amount of bittering hop to balance the sweetness.

Archived