Coopers Community

English Bitter

SteveL

Loving the English Bitter...last time tweaked it with 1kg LDM and dry-hopped goldings (tks for the tips paul!)

Am looking at doing the same recipe again, wondering how low volume I can go ie 19 litres? And what would 200g of molasses do to it (just read that in the ESB recipes section!?)

Any other hops recommended besides styrian golding?

Thanks and cheers

Steve

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ESB recipe (in the How to Brew section) was really one that carried over from the now deleted Original Series Bitter. A bit of a play on words, as it is called Extra Smooth Bitter rather than Extra Special Bitter.

I think you should keep with the 1kg of LDME theme rather than using BE1 and Molasses. Yes, there would be no issue with dropping the volume down to 19litres but maybe add an extra cup of simple sugar (dex/sug) to help the yeast attenuate the brew.

Keeping along the UK theme, why not try fuggles with the next brew??

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo Paul, opinion please!!

Today marks day 13 in fermenter for the bitter detailed above, and it's not budging from gravity reading 1016 (started 1043)...is this in the ballpark of what you'd expect?

Am worried about leaving it in fermenter any longer (and, of course, impatience is always a factor with me!)

Cheers

Steve

1016 seems a bit high but if you plan to bottle into PET, go ahead and bottle. The bonus with PET is the ability to degass if they become over-pressured. I reckon this style goes nicely with less fizz so why not throw just one carbo drop in some of the bottles...

Went with EB can, 1kg LDM, half a cup of dex (I forgot you recommended full cup, but such is life!), US04 yeast and dry hopped 15g of fuggles - I read that some find fuggles a bit overpowering so went with a small amount. Made to 19 litres.

Thinking of revisiting that super Scotch Ale next...

Cheers

Steve

Is US04 a combination of US-05 and S-04? :-)

I'm guessing you mean S-04. Was it fresh?

I've never had any success with that yeast. Used it on several occasions but the beer seems to carry off aromas, like stagnant water.

The yeast, supplied with the kit, using the full cup of sugar/dextrose, should ferment the brew down to the 1012 mark.

Yes, S-04, don't know where the US04 came from! Expiry date was something/11 if I recall correctly.

Perhaps that explains why it's stuck at 1016? Never used this yeast before so thought would give it a go...now I kind of wish I hadn't!!

Guess the proof will be in the tasting...will keep you posted

• 3 weeks later...

(Update)

Tasting most impressive after 3 weeks in bottle...thankfully nothing like stagnant water! can't really notice the fuggles aroma much but that may be my novice beer nose...

And thanks for the 1 carb drop tip - going to follow that in future as suits this perfectly. The 1 drop bottles (PET) seemed to get harder quicker than the 2 drop bottles. Both nice though, love it so much am making it again in next few days (bottled a canadian blonde last night for a bit of variation)

cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

This looks like a winner to me! I've got a can of the english bitter that I'm going to give to a friend for his birthday along with these ingredients minus the hops because I can't buy them locally and I haven't gotten around to mail ordering any yet.

One cup of dex is about 250grams right? I've been brewing with a scale and have forgotten the translation from cups to grams. What is the ABV of this brew? I'm thinking it should be bumped up a bit with say 500grams of Dex...

Any thoughts guys? my Buddies birthday party is today [pinched]

• 1 month later...

Hi all, im noob to homebrew and this is my first post but im learning fast...

I have a dilema! I picked up a can of the english bitter the other day after reading the recipe card at Big W for the Extra Smooth Bitter, and have bought the BE1 and molasses to use in it.

Then i found this thread! I also have a 500g pack of Light Dried Malt powder and the 1Kg pack of Dextrose sitting here.

Does anyone have some recipe ideas with these ingredients to end up with a 5% English Bitter with character without using added hops, i dont think im quite ready for that yet.

This will be my 3rd brew in a month after making the Irish Ale and the Lager so i think im hooked!

Welcome Chris [biggrin]

I recently made an ESB styled beer with the Englisg Bitter kit and it tastes great.

This is the recipe I used (I think it originally came from or was based on recommendations from PB2):

ESB - made to 21 litres

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt

250g Of Sugar/dex

Dry hopped 20g Fuggles

Kit yeast or English Ale yeast and fermented at 21C

I'd recommend this - Just skip the fuggles (you'll need to grab some more LDM though). It comes out around 5.3%.

I put down the same recipe 3 days ago (but with 35 g Goldings rather than Fuggles and dark brown sugar and re-cultured Coopers commercial yeast).

Every time the airlock burps (sorry Muddy, still using it [joyful] ) the whole room smells of hops. I'm hoping it settles down a bit over time, it's pretty overpowering. The beer looks and smells fantastic though.

I reckon yours will taste pretty good Kearnage - I would have preferred to use EKG but I had fuggles in the fridge.

Side note - I used carb drops for the whole batch. For some I used 1 drop per 750ml to have a more true to style carbonation but I actually prefer the ones I used regular dosage of 2 drops per 750ml.

[lol] By all means use your airlock mate but just don't come crying here if it isn't bubbling [biggrin]

Wow thanks for the quick response... How did you know i wanted to assemble my 2nd fermenter and put this brew down tomorrow. I'll use the kit yeast and i can keep the fermenter at a stable 21C

I dont think my other half knew what she was in for when she bought the kit for me.

Anyways thanks again guys.

So i had a bit of time on my hands today and found that theres nothing to dry hopping so i grabbed myself some goldings and will give the mix a tweak after it's fermented out.

I can see myself asking for kegs/taps etc from santa this year.

Oh yeah the wort did smell great... can't wait to try it.

Bottled some a few weeks back and opened one last night, amazing really. So easy to make so nice to drink. Awesome colour and aroma, reminds me of autumn in terms of colour and flavour profile. Yummy.

I brewed a bitter about 12 weeks ago' date=' I guess I could best describe the taste as a plasticky flavour, does this sound familiar to anyone?[/quote']

I'd say it is more polyester than plasticky Trusty [ninja]

[whistling

Nah, somethings wrong with yours mate. I held off trying the EB as English styles generally don't interest me but I finally made one a couple of months ago in an esb style and it came out great. I picked up another can today. Good stuff! [biggrin]

Archived