Coopers Community

Little Creatures Rogers' Ale

RhinoC

I certainly will take your word for it lusty' date=' your tips on here are always bang on. If you recommend it, it shall be brewed.

But, would you do it straight up as is, or tweaked on hops or yeast?[/quote']

Hi Farls i am about to try the Nelson on Anthonys advice also just dont have enough centennial for the hop boil and no lhbs for 400 kmssad Maybe ill use chinnook ?

Cheers Gary

Maybe a new thread is required to get a Rogers style beer on the recipe list. There isn't many on the mid-strength list' date=' and if the Rogers was added it would be the best on it.[/quote']
Ive brewed this three times now {PB2 S Rogers clone }' date=' one is in the fridge as i type and another maturing in the beer cupboard .After circa 8 weeks this is one of the best beers ever especially that extra chinnook .Should go in the recipe section i agree though[/quote']

With the advent of the new craft fermenter, & a lot of higher flavoured ABV beers being more popular for ROTM's, unfortunately the mid & light ABV beer categories have been neglected somewhat.

I agree, it's probably time for a new addition. tongue

In the meantime gents, perhaps give the following a go...

Nelson's Light

This beer is listed in the light beer section of the Coopers DIY recipe bank, but I'm not sure why it claims to produce a 2.9% ABV beer unsure, as my brewings of this recipe using the ingredients specified, at the ferment volume specified, have me end up with a beer around 3.5% once you include the added sugar required for bottle carbonation.

Take my word for it, this recipe produces a truly outstanding light to midstrength beer. coollove

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Anthony thanks for the tip i will brew that Nelsons tomorrow , One thing though and have been reading your advice a lot on this forum, if i was to use an 1.5 kg lme and 1x 500 gm ldm instead of 3x500gm ldm which should give around 1.7kg malt ? Do you think this would interfere with the recipes intended taste ? Also i looked in the beer freezer and im short on centennial for the boil , have plenty of chinook , cascade etc , what would be a good sub as the boil is for bitterness .

Cheers Gary

Hello Farls & lennyking.

No probs using the 1.5kg LME + 500gms of LDM in place of the straight 1.5kg of LDM in the recipe outline. Fermentability will be slightly different in my experience with subbing LME for LDM but not by a whole lot. Expect a little more body (a good thing in a light beer) & a tad more ABV% around 3.7% (bottled) by IanH's spreadsheet calculations.

Cascade or Chinook will be a suitable substitute for the Centennial if you can't obtain it. Be aware of the weight adjustment required for using either of those hops or else you could upset the intended bitterness of the beer.

As an example my current stock of Centennial has an alpha acidity level of 10.2%. 25gms of that listed in the recipe outline equates to approx. 23.56 IBU. My current Chinook has an alpha acidity of 11.1%, so 23gms would give me 23.58 IBU. My current Cascade alpha level is only 8.3% so I would need 30gms to obtain the required 23 IBU listed in the recipe. Just be mindful of that. wink

It's a very easy brew to put together that makes what I think is an outstanding light to midstrength beer. love

I wish the brewery would put it into mainstream production. cool

Cheers & good luck with it guys. I hope you enjoy it as much as both I & my father do. joyful

Lusty.

Hello Farls & lennyking.

No probs using the 1.5kg LME + 500gms of LDM in place of the straight 1.5kg of LDM in the recipe outline. Fermentability will be slightly different in my experience with subbing LME for LDM but not by a whole lot. Expect a little more body (a good thing in a light beer) & a tad more ABV% around 3.7% (bottled) by IanH's spreadsheet calculations.

Cascade or Chinook will be a suitable substitute for the Centennial if you can't obtain it. Be aware of the weight adjustment required for using either of those hops or else you could upset the intended bitterness of the beer.

As an example my current stock of Centennial has an alpha acidity level of 10.2%. 25gms of that listed in the recipe outline equates to approx. 23.56 IBU. My current Chinook has an alpha acidity of 11.1%' date=' so 23gms would give me 23.58 IBU. My current Cascade alpha level is only 8.3% so I would need 30gms to obtain the required 23 IBU listed in the recipe. Just be mindful of that. [img']wink[/img]

It's a very easy brew to put together that makes what I think is an outstanding light to midstrength beer. love

I wish the brewery would put it into mainstream production. cool

Cheers & good luck with it guys. I hope you enjoy it as much as both I & my father do. joyful

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty i found 15 gm of centennial and added 10 gm of chinnook for that 30 min boil so a tad extra bitterness may offset the extra malt ? By the way the pilsener recipe you posted a while ago with hop editions is nearly three months now and tastes great ( big head and crystal clear ) Cheers and thanks a heap.

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it but Dr Smurto'a light Amber is supposed to be very close.

I can't rememer where I got it from but I have this in my notes as:

"Kit recipe (based on a 5L boil using only the dry extracts and the liquor from steeping the grain - add the kit at flameout)

1.70 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 60.71 % = 1 x tin Coopers Lager

0.50 kg Light Dry Malt Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 17.86 %

0.20 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 7.14 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.36 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.36 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (800.0 EBC) Grain 3.57 %

10.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU

10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

15.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

The tin of Coopers Lager is ~22 IBU so with the extra ~8 IBU from the small boil you should be in the ballpark of 30 IBU.

?

Or

If you wanted to do a full extract then try this (based on an 8L boil with the wheat extract added after flameout)

1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 44.12 %

1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 44.12 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.41 %

0.15 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.41 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (800.0 EBC) Grain 2.94 %

5.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU

10.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.1 IBU

10.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

15.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

15.00 gm Cascade [6.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale"

Well i finally got around to brewing a "clone". Its only an extract recipe. Currently cold crashing but early indications (gravity readings/tastings) are that its quite good. Only major issue is the high gravity. Either my hydrometer is out or the FG is 1022. Waaaay to high for my liking.

• 1kg Liquid Extract (Amber)
    1kg Liquid Extract (Dark)
    1kg Liquid Extract (Wheat)
    1kg Maltodextrine
    600g 80L Dark Crystal Grains (Steeped in 4L hot water for 30min, Sparged with 2L hot water)
    50g EKG Hops
    40g Cascade Hops
    60g Ella Hops
    Safale/Fermentis S-04 Yeast

Batch Size was 28L, Boil Size was 12L

All fermentables were included in the boil (this was a massive mistake in hindsight as it was waaay to high gravity wise and took ages to boil)

Hop Additions where as follows...

• 0 min - 50g EKG
    40min - 20g Cascade
    60min / FO - 10g Cascade & 40g Ella

Pitch Temperature was 20 Degrees C, Ferment Temperature was 16 Degrees C

Dry hopped with 20g Ella and 10g Cascade on day 10

Commenced Cold Crash on day 11

Added finings on day 12

I will be bottling / kegging on day 15

I've attached the brewers friend file

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I just poured a stubby of the Nelson's Light out into a glass to sample it before presenting my father with a couple of cartons tomorrow on his birthday. It tastes terrific as usual! happy

Nelson

Mine finished a little higher than expected FG to end up around 3.2 - 3.3% ABV. Just perfect for Dad. cool

It really is a lovely little beer to drink & I should brew it or something close to it more often.

The drinking quality of this beer far exceeds how simple it is to make. Thanks again for the recipe PB2! smile

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I have been troller for a while now, and enjoy this forum,

I am on to my 4th brew now,so far all have been drinkable, but the nothing outstanding, the 4th is the PB2 Rogers clone, and also a a upgrade with with ferment fridge that has been steady at 18c,

I must say I stuck my snout in the FV and it smelt grouse,

so Q

Now two weeks into fermenting, took a SG toady 1012, will check tomorrow again, tomorrow, if the SG is the same, I could "cold crash" and could somebody explain to me the benefits of a cold crash, or just get it bottled??

cheers and beers

Gary.

Hi Baltic & welcome to the forum. smile

"Cold Crashing" or "Cold Conditioning" is an effective means of clarifying your beer prior to bottling/kegging. These lower temperatures force many unfermentable materials such as floating hop matter, grain matter, yeast etc. to drop from suspension & compact at the bottom of the fermenter leaving you with lovely clear beer above that. happy

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Beerlust' date='

I will give the CC a go I think, what sort of temps do you try to drop down to?? and how long do you hold it at a low temp, before bottling??

Thanks,

Gary[/quote']

As close to but not freezing ideally. Aim for around 1 to 2 degrees. And around 4-7 days should be about right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, and PB2,

Thanks for the tips with the LC Rogers clone, and with my questions, my PB2 Rogers clone is sensational, !! and it has only been conditioning for the past 10 days, I have only opened a couple of small swing tops for tasting, and could hardly stop! cannot wait to taste after 6-8week, if there is any left,

Cheers, Gary

Archived