Coopers Community

Little Creatures Rogers' Ale

RhinoC

Hi there,

Just a quick note to see if anyone has tried to blend a similar brew to the Little Creatures Rogers? It is a very enjoyable mid-strength and I am keen to get some different ideas from others out there.

I have tried this recipe:

Morgans royal oak amber

Liquid light malt 1.5kg

Cascade finishing hops

Safale yeast

Although it is a good drop there seems to be something missing and i cannot put my finger on it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Rhino

The colour of Rogers' Beer is quite high, 37.6EBC (around the colour of our Bitter Home Brew) but the bitterness is very low, 17.1IBU (slightly higher than our Wheat Beer). It has plenty of hop aroma (late hopping, probably Cascade and Chinook) that blends nicely with a malty taste and slighty sweet finish - and only 3.8%ABV!

I am guessing your brew is too high in bitterness?? Higher bitterness would mask the slightly sweet finish from the crystal malt.

Assuming you made the brew to 23 litres, your alcohol level would be too high as well.

You could try:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg

Cascade Hop Pellets 10g + 20g

Chinook Hop Pellets 20g

BrewCellar American Ale Yeast 15g

Bring the amber malt (about 1/2 of the can) to the boil in 2 litres of water and add 10g of Cascade for a 15min rolling boil. Then take off the heat and add the rest of the hops, cover and leave to steep for 1 hour.

Strain the contents into the fermenting tub (should be able to buy a straining bag from your local home brew shop), mix the rest of the ingredients and top up to 25litres. Pitch the yeast and try to ferment between 18C to 22C.

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul,

Mate thanks for your help, and i am hoping you can help out again???

I tried the recipe you wrote here for me and found the colour was still quite light, only slightly darker than my Pale Ale which i use the Light malt rather than the amber malt.

I have tried another batch brewing at the moment with the Coopers IPA, i looks darker but i will wait and see. My question is, how do i get that darker colour? Should i maybe also use a dry malt? And the final ABV was 3.2% using half can of Malt. With extra malt i could possibly get closer to 3.8%???

And secondly, can i leave a strainer bag and contents in the wort for the duration of fermentation? Would this allow for a darker colour?

Thanks for you help here mate, it is good fun trying to get a new recipe sorted and so far using only Coopers products...

Cheers

Rhino

G'day Rhino,

I meant for you to use the whole can (1.5kg) of Amber malt Extract. Use half the can in the boil and the rest goes straight into the fermenting tub.

Thomas Coopers IPA is way to bitter for the Rogers' style.

Leaving the contents of the bag in the fermenting tub might increase the hop character but it won't make the brew any darker.

Thanks Paul,

Argh the whole can you say.... I will give it a go.

What is the best way to measure the final colour? Can you still buy the charts that used to be around for comparing the colour or is just best to follow your eye?

And the same for the bitterness? How do you work out IBU?

Maybe i need do some homework...

Thanks for all your help,

Back to the brew shop.....

Rhino

Measuring colour by comparison is the only way for homebrewers - whether it be comparing against a colour chart or side-by-side against the target beer.

I don't know of colour charts being available in Aus' as breweries use a spectrophotometer.

Bitterness may be measured directly with a HPLC or using an absorption method.

• 4 years later...

Give this a try:

Amber LME 1.5kg

Dark DME 0.3kg

Light DME 0.2kg

Roasted Barley \t0.10

CaraPils \t0.15

Caramel Wheat Malt 0.15

CaraVienna \t0.10

Maltodextrin\t0.20

Goldings 25 @45

Cascade\t 40 @15

Cascade\t 25 @5

Crush the roasted barley and let it sit in 1L cold water, cover & chuck it in the fridge, overnight (the day before you brew).\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Strain and boil the liquid only (not the grains) & use it to rinse out your cans, instead of using the kettle.\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

This cold extraction of roasted grain will give you the roast flavour without the harsh astringency/burnt notes.

Take a litre from the mash chuck it in a separate pot and boil it until it turns a DARK red to brown. Add the rest of the mash liqueur on top of this toffee before it burns. Tricky but well worth the effort.\t\t\t\t\t\t

\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

Use S04 yeast.

23l

Should produce:

OG\t1.037

FG\t1.012

\t

IBU\t23.5

EBC\t40.6

bulk prime 170g dex

3.7%

• 4 years later...

Its a long time since the last post. But i was just wondering how you ended up going. Did you end up getting fairly close to the target of 3.8%. And di you manage to get the flavours right?

I am looking to do this myself soon. But i was thinking along the lines of an amber ale can, an amber malt extract can, some stella and cascade hops (as that is what rogers use), then top the whole thing up to 25L at least.

I was looking up Rogers ale recipes a year or so ago and ended up brewing the recipe PB2 posted in this thread. It turned out really well, I enjoyed it, and my family/friends loved it. It's a cracking brew from a very easy recipe. I'll probably up the chinook a bit though, love the chinook.

It's a crowd pleaser Gary. Very tasty for a mid strength, enough flavour for the those with taste, but not so much to scare off the mainstream drinkers. Next time I do it (when I get around to it) I'll probably add another 10g cascade to the boil and another 15g chinook in the steep. I'll see how that goes, but a dry hop of 20g centennial would suit too I think. Or a dry hop of 20g mosaic would be different, but good.

You could obviously really hop it up, and it would very nice, but would be further from the original.

Nice, I reckon the extra 10g chinook will give it the nudge of flavour I felt was missing on an otherwise very good kits and bits beer. I'll keep my eye out for your review in a month or so.

The cascarillo is on my to do list, in similar styles I've really liked the chubby cherub and midnight mosaic.

One day I'll move on on to more complex stuff, maybe even AG. For now with a young family and busy job, the coopers site recipes and other similar ones I find or make up are easy to do and produce good brews.

I love cracking a brew, having that first taste, and thinking "f#&k that's good".

• 1 month later...
Nice' date=' I reckon the extra 10g chinook will give it the nudge of flavour I felt was missing on an otherwise very good kits and bits beer. I'll keep my eye out for your review in a month or so.

The cascarillo is on my to do list, in similar styles I've really liked the chubby cherub and midnight mosaic.

One day I'll move on on to more complex stuff, maybe even AG. For now with a young family and busy job, the coopers site recipes and other similar ones I find or make up are easy to do and produce good brews.

I love cracking a brew, having that first taste, and thinking "f#&k that's good".[/quote']

The cascarillo is a corker. i can definitely recommend. Only bottled it back in late august and already it tastes fantastic. Only comment would be to maybe up the hop bill a little bit. not too much though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone just tried my brew of rogers ale that pb2 formulated a while back ,only change added 10gm extra chinnook hops at flame out ( thanks Farls good tip )and what can i say , absolutely awesome after 6 weeks in the bottle .This is worthy to be in Coopers recipes Paul ? Cheers

I'm glad it worked out lennyking. I've recently done the dass alto and helgas kolsch (not quite ready to taste) but I think next up will be the Rogers, definitely worth doing again. With the extra chinook of course.

And for the record I went to brew it again last night, but realised too late I didn't have a can of Amber malt extract. And the electronic scales were flat!

I still brewed but changed it around a bit. Light malt extract can in place of amber. With no scales I guessed the hop weight and also chucked in about 20g of left over Amarillo I found in freezer (it must be at least 12 months old) at around 20 min.

The rest is the same, cascade in the boil, chinook in the steep.

I'll end up with a decent mid-strength session beer, I guess kind of like an American pale ale. I know it won't be as good though as part of what I really liked was the particular sweetness the Amber malt gives.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive brewed this three times now {PB2 S Rogers clone }, one is in the fridge as i type and another maturing in the beer cupboard .After circa 8 weeks this is one of the best beers ever especially that extra chinnook .Should go in the recipe section i agree though i brewed mine to 24.5 l and abv 4.9%.

Maybe a new thread is required to get a Rogers style beer on the recipe list. There isn't many on the mid-strength list' date=' and if the Rogers was added it would be the best on it.[/quote']
Ive brewed this three times now {PB2 S Rogers clone }' date=' one is in the fridge as i type and another maturing in the beer cupboard .After circa 8 weeks this is one of the best beers ever especially that extra chinnook .Should go in the recipe section i agree though[/quote']

With the advent of the new craft fermenter, & a lot of higher flavoured ABV beers being more popular for ROTM's, unfortunately the mid & light ABV beer categories have been neglected somewhat.

I agree, it's probably time for a new addition. tongue

In the meantime gents, perhaps give the following a go...

Nelson's Light

This beer is listed in the light beer section of the Coopers DIY recipe bank, but I'm not sure why it claims to produce a 2.9% ABV beer unsure, as my brewings of this recipe using the ingredients specified, at the ferment volume specified, have me end up with a beer around 3.5% once you include the added sugar required for bottle carbonation.

Take my word for it, this recipe produces a truly outstanding light to midstrength beer. coollove

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived