Coopers Community

James Squire Golden Ale

Clinster

Muddy , do BIG W sell light liquid Pale Walt Extract?

Was going to make the Dr\u2019s JSGA but will have to go to Nth Sydney again if the big W don\u2019t sell it. You gave his stuff a wrap.

Imade one

I Made

ASQ/G ALE

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

500LDME

500LDME/Wheat

15gm Amarillo for 15 min

15gm Amarillo at 5 min

12gm Amarillo at flame out

12 gm Cascade at flame out

Love the flavour but has a lousy head

What do you reckon/

Warren

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats going on? I answered this about an hour ago in another thread [unsure]

No, you can't get any malt extracts at Big W you'll have to order from Coopers. If you go to Nth Sydney you'll have to buy Morgan's Malt Extract as that is all he gets (Coopers owns Morgans in some way or another I believe) - I prefer to buy the actual Coopers product myself out of blind loyalty (remember 30% of for all of January at the Coopers store).

Muddy, these are Dr Smurto's words, not mine.

"If you dont have a 2nd fermenter or dont want to rack, simply drop the hops into primary once fermentation is done (~7 days). Leave 7 days and then bottle". This was on his second post about JSGA.[biggrin]

Warren

No Muddy, you can't get DME at Big W, at least not on my last 3 visits.

Nor suggar pills, bottle tops, dreaded hydrometers or various cans.

Think they are getting rid of stock, wonder if they have had ablue with Coopers.

They had Toohey's stuf????

I saw a vid on youtube where you put 1/4 cup DME in a small sauce pan with 1-2oz hops,& boil no more than 15 mins. Less depending on how much hop bitterness you want to add to your brew. Since you add this to your mixed wort in the fermenter (extract kits),this is akin to a 1st addition. He then added 1oz of hops some 3 days into fermentation for aroma,which is usually your last addition in all grain,or mini mash.

• 1 year later...

I already feel silly asking this question..

This is my favourite brew so I need to know how to make a double batch because I've just obtained a 60L fermenter. I've been brewing this recipe for a very long time using the 4L method. To make double, do I need to double the 2L method or can I continue with the same volumes of the 4L method but double the hops??

Any help would be great.

...? I think you had better re read your post there Milney! It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I brew all my stuff in a 60l FV and make a double brew, I only do kits so it is pretty simple, I just double the ingredients I would use if I was making a single brew!

The only exception is if I make a stout using two cans plus fermentables and the odd time I experiment with different cans and combinations. Basically if you have a brew that you do in a 30l FV and you want to do a double version in a 60l vessel, you would need to double whatever you normally use in it!

Milney, are you talking about the size of the boil?

The bigger the boil the better. You can still do the same size boil for a double batch but you will have to double the quantity of hops and leave the malt the same (ie. to achieve the same gravity).

However, you do need to make sure it is of sufficient size so that you get the best utilisation from your hops and that you don't lose most of your liquid to the trub.

For a big batch, see if you can do a 6-8 litre boil. Adjust the malt accordingly (ie. double it for 8 litres) and use double the hops.

I think that is your question (sort of) answered [unsure]

Rossm,

Sorry mate, if you look at the recipe it refers to an 8L boil, 4L boil and 2L boil (depending on the size of the equipment available). I read somewhere once that the gravity is important when boiling hops (Hairy mentions gravity in the next reply). I\u2019m not sure how important this is but this is what motivates my question given I want achieve a 46L wort.

Hairy,

Yep, you\u2019ve answered my question perfectly, thanks for the reply. I can still use the 4L water to 750 grams of malt extract, just double the hops.

What do you mean when you say,

\u201cHowever, you do need to make sure it is of sufficient size so that you get the best utilisation from your hops and that you don't lose most of your liquid to the trub.\u201d?

I\u2019m interested you\u2019ve said the larger the boil the better. Perhaps I should invest in a bigger pot one day? Or should this be matter of priority??

Thank again,

Milney [/size][/size]

With regards to the trub, the more hops you add the more crap left in the bottom of the pot. You will lose some liquid to this.

As for hop utilisation, some people are of the opinion that the boil size affects hop utilisation ie. smaller boil = less utilisation. But other people dispute this; I don't think it has been proven one way or the other.

The main thing is to ensure the gravity of the wort is around 1030-1040 regardless of the size.

As for hop utilisation, some people are of the opinion that the boil size affects hop utilisation ie. smaller boil = less utilisation. But other people dispute this; I don't think it has been proven one way or the other.

The main thing is to ensure the gravity of the wort is around 1030-1040 regardless of the size.

I have always thought it was due to the gravity of the wort. I always do 2L boils when adding hops to my kits and haven't seem to have any issue with utilising my hops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I put 2 X sachets of Safale US-05 into the 56 litre mix.. Was this a mistake? At the time I must've been thinking I was making a Fat Yak, hence the Safale...! Perhaps my first mistake..

Will the two sachets affect my brew adversely? Perhaps it was appropriate given the larger volume of the wort?

Would one sachet of Safale US-05 have been sufficient?

Regards,

Milney

• 1 month later...
I had a nice brew down that is close to the JSGA.

1 tin Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers pale liquid malt extract

15g @ 15mins

15g @ 5 mins

15g dry hopped in secondary

Kit yeast

8L of water, add the liquid malt bring to the boil. Add hops as above (time is given as minutes from the end of the boil). 1 week primary ferment at 18degC, rack, dry hop and leave for another week. Bulk primed with 170g dextrose. Leave a month and then enjoy. Mine have been in the bottle for 4 months now and just keep getting better.

Cheers

DrSmurto

Thanks Doc smurto. Just tasted my go at this. Although still early (2 weeks in bottle) it tastes really incredible, it has no head, but we'll give it time. I also forgot to dry hop. Anyway, two thumbs up.

[edit: dry hop not dry ferment] :D

You have left out what hops were used.

This reminds of something I've read before?!?!?! Oh yes..It was the thread Christopher was quoting [biggrin] ...Deja Vu all over again:

Dr. Smurto' date=' sounds good! Can we assume that your hop addditions are Amarillo?[/quote']

:oops: Amarillo it is. Cant get enough of this hop!

From this thread

A bit of a worry that I can remember a thread from years ago but can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday [lol]

Archived