Coopers Community

James Squire Golden Ale

Clinster

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a nice brew down that is close to the JSGA.

1 tin Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers pale liquid malt extract

15g @ 15mins

15g @ 5 mins

15g dry hopped in secondary

Kit yeast

8L of water, add the liquid malt bring to the boil. Add hops as above (time is given as minutes from the end of the boil). 1 week primary ferment at 18degC, rack, dry hop and leave for another week. Bulk primed with 170g dextrose. Leave a month and then enjoy. Mine have been in the bottle for 4 months now and just keep getting better.

Cheers

DrSmurto

Sorry forgot to add that im a newbie only done about 4 brews so all of what you explained was a bit over the top.

Is there an easier way to explain the process!?

Cheers Heaps! as im keen to try it!

:oops:

Amarillo it is. Cant get enough of this hop!

Clinster. Its a pretty simple brew. Walk ya thru it.

Put 8L of boiling water into a pot. Add the liquid malt extract, stir and once its boiling again add the 15g hops. Let it simmer for another 10 mins and then add another 15g of hops. Wait another 5 mins and then turn off the heat. Stir in the contents of the Coopers Sparkling Ale can. Cool this down using your preferred method (I get 3 of those esky blocks in a sink of water and sit the saucepan in it for 15 mins). Add to fermenter, top up to 23L. Pitch yeast at 18-20deg and leave to ferment for 7 days. Rack (transfer via food grade tubing) to another fermenter and add another 15g of hops directly to the barrel (or tie them up in a small piece of pantyhose). Leave for another 7 days and then bottle as usual.

If you dont have a 2nd fermenter or dont want to rack, simply drop the hops into primary once fermentation is done (~7 days). Leave 7 days and then bottle.

Pretty easy. A little bit of extra effort is worth it! If you dont have a pot big enough to boil 8L then do 4L and add only half the tin of malt. Continue as above.

Cheers

DrSmurto

If 4 litres is too much for you, reduce the boil to 2 litres. Just bring to the boil 1/2 of the 1.5 kg Malt Extract in 2 litres and make the hop additions with the first 15g for 15mins then remove from the heat and add the next 15g then let steep for 15-20mins.

Strain into the fermenting vessel and mix in the rest of the malt extract and Home Brew Kit. Add water to the 18litre mark and give a good stir then check the brew temperature. Add cold water as neccessary to bring the brew temp down to 18-20degC. (Have about 3-5 litres of cold water ready in the fridge.)

In isolation, there is no requirement to boil Coopers Malt Extract and Home Brew Kits.

• 2 years later...

Depends on your purpose for racking.

If it is just for clarifying prior to dropping it into keg then force carbonating - you may as well chill it down to 1C.

If you are looking to ferment it further in secondary - 18C will do the job.

I used to rack, and I thought it was the extra something that made my beer really good.....Then I heard a podcast with Jamil Zainasheff saying it was a waste of time. So I didn't rack and guess what, my beers are still really good! :roll:

Geez Luke. From the day I started work at Coopers, I've been saying that racking is generally a waste of time and it takes Jamil's dribble to finally convince you. :roll:

Even Frank (our homebrew hotline dude) racked every brew when I first started here. I asked him why. He said risk of autolysis. I said pffft!! These days, he doesn't rack :wink:

Having said all that, racking has its place. I like to rack messy brews off primary eg. a RIS. Also, not a bad idea to rack if fermenting a high alcohol brew and pitching a second yeast (like champagne yeast). Rack from a fermenting tub that has a heating source at the base - but the best answer here is moving the heat source, not racking.

Maybe racking is the best solution for you if you dry hop? Just depends on your technique...

How long do you like to keep the hops in contact with the brew?

Are you using pellets, plugs, whole flowers?

Are you planning to keg it?

Do you have some kind of cage/bag for holding the hops?

I've never hopped anything I am so haven't got a technique yet.

My questions relate to the brewing method described by Dr Smurto in the opening post. I assume he is talking about using pellets.

I'll be bottling it and will purchase a hops bag for the dry hopping stage if necessary.

I really don't have much idea about hops or what the method of dry hooping he suggests adds to the brew. All I know is that I recently tried a Golden Ale and found it noe to offensive and added it to my brewing wish list.

Any recommendations, tips or alternative methods of achieving a beer in the style of JSGA would be appreciated.

I am still a few weeks off having a go at it as I already have a pilsener on the go and a sparkling ale next in line. I just like to plan ahead as I like to buy enough for a few brews when I have to make the hike to my nearest home brew supplies store.

Geez Luke. From the day I started work at Coopers' date=' I've been saying that racking is generally a waste of time and it takes Jamil's dribble to finally convince you. :roll:[/quote']

I'm pretty open to suggestions! - Read - Gullable!

• 2 months later...

1 tin Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers pale liquid malt extract

15g Amarillo @ 15mins

15g Amarillo @ 5 mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped in secondary

Kit yeast

8L of water, add the liquid malt bring to the boil. Add hops as above (time is given as minutes from the end of the boil). 1 week primary ferment at 18degC, rack, dry hop and leave for another week. Bulk primed with 170g dextrose. Leave a month and then enjoy. Mine have been in the bottle for 4 months now and just keep getting better.

I've had this in the bottle now for about 6 weeks done to this recipe (Although from memory I think I accidently dry hopped 25g instead of 15g after a week of fermentation) and I have to say it is a pretty fine drop indeed - Highly recommended!

Nice one Dr Smurto!

On the subject of amarillo, I have just tasted another winner. I did a "Fruit Salad Pale Ale" as per Pauls recipe in the December 2006 newsletter (http://www.coopers.com.au/media/files/1790.pdf).

Beautiful! Is has only been in the bottle a few weeks so it is still a little green but it showing signs of being a gold medal drop.

Muddy im heaps big on tasting my brews early and reguarly.......ya miss heaps if ya dont!!!

when im keggin i find even more so that, SOME BEERS peak early!

im even making LAGERS with extra grain that are peaking in the keg at 3 weeks n the like!

and :lol: when its peakin ............................I TEND TOO NEED DAYS OFF WORK!

cheers mate

matt

Yeah I like to have a first taste at 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes it's love at first sight but others it takes a few more weeks (or months!) to get that warm and fuzzy feeling. While I always stash at least a cases worth away for longer term enjoyment I still enjoy the early taste. It is a great way of following the beers evolution from something ordinary to something you want tell the world about (Which you can't really because there's not enough to go round :lol: )

• 1 year later...

Muddy ,I Made

ASQ/G ALE

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

500LDME

500LDME/Wheat

15gm Amarillo for 15 min

15gm Amarillo at 5 min

12gm Amarillo at flame out

12 gm Cascade at flame out

Love the flavour but has a lousy head

You reckon about Dr Smurto\u201ds is the go.

I have not seen Coopers Pale Liquid Malt E xtracy at Big W.

Do you know if they sell it.

Warren

I Made

ASQ/G ALE

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

500LDME

500LDME/Wheat

15gm Amarillo for 15 min

15gm Amarillo at 5 min

12gm Amarillo at flame out

12 gm Cascade at flame out

Love the flavour but has a lousy head

You reckon about Dr Smurto\u201ds is the go.

I have not seen Coopers Pale Liquid Malt E xtracy at Big W.

Do you know if they sell it.

Warren

(This is the second post on same subject, could not find it so here goes again)

You really need to give your beer a few months in the bottle for a killer head. Dr Smurto's recipe is very good.

Like the Thomas Coopers range you will need to get the Coopers Malt Extracts at a Home Brew Store or order them from the Coopers Store (20% off for all of January). You could use dry malt but you'll still need to go to the home brew store to get wheat malt.

Archived