Coopers Community

The Ashes

JohnE9

As a dyed in the wool Aussie cricket supporter of senior years, I am very nervous about the upcoming Ashes series.

I think the Poms are going to give us a hiding. Probably deserved as our batsmen cannot put together decent scores in sucession. Warner and Pup possibly the only exceptions. If they go cheaply then Australia will be in deep trouble.

The bowlers are OK but you need runs on the board.

Oh, by the way my Chubby Cherub is fermenting merrily away at 19C

enclosed by frozen bottles of ice in a tub of water.

Thanks blokes, for all your expert advice.

I used to think a quick ferment in the mid 20's or higher was good. Alas, no longer.[cool]

As a dyed in the wool Aussie cricket supporter of senior years, I am very nervous about the upcoming Ashes series.

I think the Poms are going to give us a hiding. Probably deserved as our batsmen cannot put together decent scores in sucession. Warner and Pup possibly the only exceptions. If they go cheaply then Australia will be in deep trouble.

The bowlers are OK but you need runs on the board.

I'm not nervous about it; I have accepted that we will be beaten.

We have lost the ability to play for five days and to finish off opponents. The last series in England was fairly even (apart from one test) yet we lost 3-0.

I think Australia will be competitive and they won't get smashed (in all tests) but we just won't win.

England do rely on a couple of key players though so a few injuries and we might get away with it.

Good work on the Chubby Cherub [cool]

Me either. When does the first Test start again? Being on late shifts I can watch a fair bit of each days' play before work.

Thursday 21 November 2013

If this was another forum I could start a rant about searching before asking questions [biggrin]

Gidday all,

Whilst torturing myself watching the Aussies try and play cricket, I put down another brew whilst testing The Cherry Cherub.

Very tasty that recipe. In a word I would say it is peachy

and delicious.

Being a silly old fuddy daddy nowadays, I don't keep written records anymore.

I think it had a 1.7 kg Coopers Draught tin, 500g of BE1 and 500g of BE2 and a goodly half bottle of CSR Golden Syrup. And yeast from the Draught kit.

Brewing at ambient temp, about 22C.

Didn't either bother with OG since I know it has enough sugars in that FV to ferment out at about 5.5% ABV.

Now, back to the cricket.[devil]

Well done John

You may have got this thread rescued from Siberia by introducing a recipe. I've got my Ashes variant in the FV, due for bottling on Saturday. It's a middy that should come out around 4% after priming. The original Ashes was a Mid strength that allowed PB2 to knock back a few during the ashes without getting smashed. I'll be drinking mine, green or not, on Boxing Day.

Well, well, well.

After yesterday's rant, I am completely humbled by the Aussie's efforts in dismissing the Poms cheaply.

Cricket is a funny game.

It is theoretically possible to bowl out a side for 0 runs in first innings and 0 runs in second innings.

Your side could be all out for 1 and still win.[lol] [lol] [lol]

I think our "test" sides in backyard cricket used to achieve that.

You may have got this thread rescued from Siberia by introducing a recipe.

I don't think it matters.. it's in the Everything Else section which is exactly what it's for. It says in the header "Talk sport, jokes, etc.." [rightful]

I don't think it started in the Everything Else section. Even a recipe couldn't save this one.

Hey Hairy

This is the first time I have caught you out, O wise one.[rightful]

It did start in the Everything Else section.

I agree though, it was a pretty ordinary recipe. I like simple and easy.

Anyway, 1 up in the Ashes contest.[happy]

[lol] I'm a pretty big 12th Man fan.

I actually think it would be awesome if what happened in the Boned CD happened in real life - that is Channel 9 sacking the whole commentary team and getting Billy to impersonate all of them in the commentary box. It'd be way better than the rubbish they usually crap on with. Even though they're imaginary games, you can actually picture what's going on.

To be honest, they're pretty ordinary. I was lying down the other day listening to the TV as a radio wasn't handy and had absolutely no idea what was going on in the game. I understand you can see what's going on so they don't really have to describe it like the radio but it would help if they talked more about the game instead of all the other garbage. [lol]

Greetings to all the cricket lovers,

After a surprising win in Brisbane, now we face the pommies in Adelaide. A dead, dull wicket.

Expect a draw.

The English batsmen will dig in and refuse to give up.

Our quicks will try in vain. It will be up to our batsmen to put together two good scores in a row.

I can't see that happening.

A good time to put down some Ashes ale.

You never know, the drop-in pitch might have more life than we expect??

But if you are talking about typical Adelaide oval pitches - I think the last twenty years of test matches has yielded 16 results!

Still, it's always a good time to put an Ashes Ale together [biggrin]

I've never been a fan of drop in pitches. They are cricket grounds first and foremost and I think they should just do what the Gabba did and tell the footy players to harden up (pardon the pun) and get over it. The SCG is another one that leaves the pitch there during footy season and it never seems to get complained about.

Either way, looking forward to the match! [biggrin]

Archived