Coopers Community

Coopers Kits in Coles

ExpatSthAussie

While grabbing some last minute supplies at my local Coles last night I spotted a small selection of Coopers brewing supplies in the bevvy section at Coles...[biggrin] Well done to those who spoke up, obviously someone listened. I'll be supporting the brand to make sure that it stays on the shelves..

Recently our local Bi-Lo closed down and a new shopping village opened up in a neighboring suburb, Coles has taken over and didn't resupply the shelves with our beloved amber nectar. I decided I had to speak up and filled out a customer feedback card and mailed it off to head office. Only managed to get PA and basic be1. I guess it's a start and the more they sell the more they will stock hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

Most Coles up in sydney have deleted homebrew from the shelves but in the country i.e Ulladulla they still stock it plus they have their own brand homebrew as well at 8.50.....i might make one just to see what its like next time i come across it

anyone ever done the HomeBrand one from woolies??? similar price..

im not game to make one.. im not skilled enough to know if it tasted bad was my fault or the brews...

haha that goes for me to Del...my mates father in law makes only homebrand brew and he loves it...then again i used to love my real ale brewed any temp with no name sugar too.... im tempted to try the coles one just for the hell of it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear PB2 (I always wonder who PB1 might be [lol] )

What about Aldi as a HBS retailer? I noticed one can get the odd Coopers commercial in there from time to time, at a good price too. Could you encourage your people to speak to their people? Absolutely none of the supermarkets is the NE burbs of Melbourne have anything homebrew now. I know on-line and LHBS are great but ya know, but its really handy not having to drive around especially when there's is that spur of the moment urge going on and the LHBS is closed. Cheers.

When first starting with the brewery, I worked directly for a gentleman named Paul Berger. Many at the brewery called him "Burge". [roll]

Our National Sale Manager has spoken with Aldi on a number of occasions but nothing has come of it as yet. Do you have a Big W store nearby?

Paul. Yes but it is part of Doncaster Shopping Centre which is probably as painful to get into as going to Adelaide CBD especially at this time of the year. On a good Saturday the queue of cars going into the carpark is only 200m long, seriously I'm not exaggerating.[pinched]

Our closest IGA has 2 varieties of cans on the shelf, nothing else, woolworths has Draught, APA and BE2. I would kill even to have an easy supply of LDME. Sorry rant over, I will just have to be more organised in the future. Maybe I can encourage our IGA to do more.

Yes, that shopping centre can be a nightmare for parking [pinched]

The great thing about IGAs is that the stores tend to have autonomy as the store manager is often the owner - as such, they can get in whatever is listed by the warehousing company (guessing this is still Metcash??).[cool]

Whilst on the subject of retailers selling Coopers products (or not selling because they don't stock or restock);

My local K Mart seems to stock mostly the original series, with a smattering of the International series, but never the Thomas Cooper range.

You can also get your BE1 & BE2, as well as bottles, caps, kits, and carb drops, but that's about it.

Mind you this is in Chatswood Chase, where I would expect enough money goes through the place that they could sell the more premium stuff if they bothered to stock it.

Meanwhile the Coles in the same centre has no home brew stuff whatsoever.

I'd love to be able to buy more Coopers stuff from a local store (my LHBS is a bus ride or drive away, whereas Chatswood Chase is just a half hour round trip on foot).

Surely there are enough home brewing enthusiasts on the north shore that K Mart or Coles could do more?

Meanwhile Big W stocks Coopers, Tooheys, and Brigalow at Macquarie Centre, which many would see as the competition for the Chase.

Any chance of Coopers looking into this Paul?

The Thomas Coopers range of hopped and unhopped malt is only available in homebrew shops or the Coopers store.

It is supposed to be a point of differentiation for them. The service they offer is usually another one [wink]

Paul, I'm gonna see if I can have a talk to the IGA manager. Hopefully that will work. I will come with a strategy for that and also see how many other HBer's I can direct there to make it worth his while. Don't know if its Metcash but I will try to find out and get back to you, perhaps then you will be able to give me an idea of what he should have available to stock?

Personally I have no probs with going to a specialty store to get specialty items. It would just be nice to get some basic stuff at spur of the moment availability, not bog stock like what woollies is doing now, cripes, ya can't even get caps now.

The Thomas Coopers range of hopped and unhopped malt is only available in homebrew shops or the Coopers store.

It is supposed to be a point of differentiation for them. The service they offer is usually another one [wink]

Point taken, what I should have said is I just don't understand the halfway attempt by the likes of Coles, Big W, and Woolies going to the effort of having a section where home brew is stocked, but not bothering to keep stock replenished.

For example, today I went to K Mart to get some carb drops; they have two hooks where they are supposed to be, yet I managed to get the last one.

Similarly they had Coopers Lager, Real Ale, Canadian Blonde, Euro Lager, and that was about it, other than BE1, BE2, some bottle caps and one sad lonely looking kit, and one or two boxes of bottles; you would expect they'd be stocking up for Dad's Christmas kits and bits, but no such luck.

I get that they don't stock the full range, and I get that it's Christmas time, but sadly this is typical of any time of year.

Naturally I will continue to purchase from where I can, be it the Coopers online store, K Mart when I am in the neighbourhood, likewise Big W when I'm nearby, or my LHBS.

My point is, if retailers want to sell product, they have to stock it, not just pay lip service.

I would happily have bought a can of APA, or the like, had it been in stock.

Now I'll be looking elsewhere.

And don't get me started on "customer service" - a dozen boofheads walking around wearing high vis is no substitute for having staff working on the checkouts, but that's a whole other subject....[pinched]

Archived