Coopers Community

The Front Bar, General all topic every day chit chat thread.

Del

Hope you're all having as relaxing a night as I am.

Yep, pretty relaxed Phil, but a day convalescing with stout and endone will do that[lol]

interesting combination... after my failed op.. i went for coopers pale and valium.. dropped tab into a pale.. by the time you finish the beer.. your in la la land... good times...

enjoying a coopers stout right now actually..

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in a little town called Yandina and its pretty much redneck rampage around here' date=' but the local has just put 150 lashes on tap. It was either fourex or fourex gold before[biggrin']

I have bad memories of that place. As a kid me and my parents went on a road trip and got stuck in traffic for about a thousand years on the Bruce near there because some clown decided to have a crash. [lol]

I forgot my pub also does have 150 Lashes and Chancer Golden Ale on tap as well. They have had these for a while though, and used to have Nine Tales amber too. Not sure why they went for the porter but I ain't complaining! They also have Kosciuszko Pale Ale on tap which isn't a bad drop.

First up is a pint of Little Creatures Rogers' Ale whilst I wait for kick off in the mighty Bulldogs match.

you'd be very happy Hairy tonight then!

Yep, not much in the way of competition though. The Eels are very ordinary.

I live in a little town called Yandina and its pretty much redneck rampage around here' date=' but the local has just put 150 lashes on tap. It was either fourex or fourex gold before[biggrin']

Nick

You are lucky

My home town is about twice the size of Yandina, three pubs and five clubs non of which have anything on tap or in the fridge that closely resembles a Craft Beer. One pub has Guinness on tap and another has Cascade Export Stout in the fridge. The two bottle shops stock the occasional craft beer but this ain't a Yuppie town by any stretch of the imagination.

When I go out I drink Stout [rightful]

my local is a SANFL club.. 3 doors down the road.. got 150 lashes on tap.. which is better than the previous swill they had..

when on tour and we get to perth im usually hitting the fat yaks and the Golden ales.

Just got the lawns mowed front and back before it starts pi$$ing down here in the NE of Adelaide. [cool]

I freakin' love the rain. Slippers, on the couch under a blanket next to my dog (his name's Scotty, and he thinks he's a lap dog even at 17kg [love]) and a strong dark beer to warm me up.

Doesn't get any better, although I'd probably enjoy summer if I were a skinny frakker. (Sorry, watching BSG at the mo. [cool])

Well you are doing better than me today Phil. As far as measurable achievements go, I have done diddly squat so far today, although I have been playing with the kids and tormenting the wife so all is not lost.

The little ones are due for a rest after lunch so then I will get to the shed, I have 3 brews to bottle and hopefully get a couple more on either this afternoon or tomorrow. V8 Supercars are on telly today so perfect for bottling/making beer.

Life is good...!!![biggrin] [cool]

I've got two lots to bottle as well Wal. An AIPA made with the Real Ale kit and an all grain Belgian Pale Ale.

The AIPA is for my bro-in-law, so he's coming round to help. Should be a nice arvo. Just gotta keep the beer tally low enough to fly under the radar when the boss gets home later. [lol] [unsure]

Del, here's the stout we'll be making on Saturady mate.

Del's Breakfast Stout

Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specs

---------------Batch

Size (L): 22.0

Total Grain (kg): 5.980

Total Hops (g): 25.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.57 %

Colour (SRM): 39.0

Bitterness (IBU): 39.4

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

4.006 kg Pale Ale Malt (67%)

0.598 kg Wheat Malt (10%)

0.478 kg Roasted Barley (8%)

0.419 kg Flaked Oats (7%)

0.299 kg Cane Sugar (5%)

0.120 kg Chocolate (2%)

0.060 kg Black Malt (1%)

Hop Bill

25.0 g Galaxy Pellet (12.3% Alpha) @ 67.5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66\xb0C for 90 Minutes.

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

whoa... looks amazing! i cant wait to try this in a month or 2.. but i cant wait to learn to be able to do something like this.. next week!

so ill need a 25L white plastic Jerry can from bunnings???

whoa... looks amazing! i cant wait to try this in a month or 2.. but i cant wait to learn to be able to do something like this.. next week!

so ill need a 25L white plastic Jerry can from bunnings???

It doesn't have to be white, any colour will do [biggrin]

Phil's recipe is for 22 litres so you may be better off with a 20 litre Jerry can. A 20 litre can will actually fit around 22-23 litres of hot wort.

Phil can confirm though.

Phil, do you always make this with Galaxy for bittering and do you seriously add it at 67.5 minutes? Did you get Scottie to work that one out for you? [biggrin]

Have been quite inactive since my English Bitter and Amarillo Pale Ale bottled about 3 weeks ago.

The English Bitter was made with 1,5kg Amber Liquid Malt, 700g Honey, 8g each EKG and Fuggles dry hopped and kit yeast. It's an awesome brew and you can really taste the honey.

The Pale Ale was the Pale Ale kit, 500g wheat LDM and 1kg LDM. Total of 100g Amarillo and it's also a good one :)

Hopefully these will last me until temp lowers and I can start brew again. Already have 6 recipes ready and I want to do the Honey Bitter and my old Stout again too :)

Phil' date=' do you always make this with Galaxy for bittering and do you seriously add it at 67.5 minutes? Did you get Scottie to work that one out for you? [biggrin']

I can see why you'd think that in hindsight Hairy. [lol]

No mate, I don't add it at that time. I am constantly tasting my beers and assessing where my no chill sweet spot lies.

I've got two lots to bottle as well Wal. An AIPA made with the Real Ale kit and an all grain Belgian Pale Ale.

They both sound pretty good. I got my three bottled, all three of them happened to be Coopers recipes, Irish Red Ale, Cascarillo Amber Ale and Hop Slam. All tasted the goods as well - can't wait for the next few weeks to go by so I can start into them.

The AIPA is for my bro-in-law' date=' so he's coming round to help. Should be a nice arvo. Just gotta keep the beer tally low enough to fly under the radar when the boss gets home later. [lol'] [unsure]

How did you go? Get them done, and did you manage to stay under the radar????[innocent]

Del, here's the stout we'll be making on Saturady mate.

Del's Breakfast Stout

Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specs

---------------Batch

Size (L): 22.0

Total Grain (kg): 5.980

Total Hops (g): 25.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.57 %

Colour (SRM): 39.0

Bitterness (IBU): 39.4

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

4.006 kg Pale Ale Malt (67%)

0.598 kg Wheat Malt (10%)

0.478 kg Roasted Barley (8%)

0.419 kg Flaked Oats (7%)

0.299 kg Cane Sugar (5%)

0.120 kg Chocolate (2%)

0.060 kg Black Malt (1%)

Hop Bill

25.0 g Galaxy Pellet (12.3% Alpha) @ 67.5 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66\xb0C for 90 Minutes.

Fermented at 20\xb0C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Don't forget to bottle one into a PET Phil[love]

G'day Scottie,

Dark Debbie. Well, where do I start - there was this girl I once knew..........

No not really, it's not nearly that exciting...!!!

My wife's best friend (Debbie) happens to like dark ales, like Tooheys Old and Carlton Black, so of course being a home brewer I saw that as a challenge to make something better than that.

Morgan's Iron Bark Dark Ale kit

Liquid Dark Malt - 1kg

Hallertau - 15g @ 10min

US-05

23lt

It's quick, it's easy and best of all it is delicious.

Archived