Coopers Community

Grain Mill

Scottie

Hey AG gang

If I am going to continue on this path I am going to need a grain mill. So far my grain has come crushed from CB in Qld and the postage ain't cheap. My LHBS does a good range of grain, at reasonable prices and also in bulk, but they don't mill the grain for you.

So what type of grain mill do you boys use?

BTW

I am still planning partials using Coopers kits or Coopers liquid malt extracts.

e.g.

A Coopers Pilser

An English Bitter based porter

Another Stella IPA

And a number of American Pale Ales with unhoped Malt extract.

I use a Millmaster mill that I bought from CB when I got my urn and all the other things for my AG upgrade. It cost about $250 I think. It has two knurled rollers, one of which is able to be moved to adjust how fine or coarse the crush is. It also comes with a hopper that holds about a kg of grain and I think the handle was separate (weird but anyway). It works really well I think. You'll have to build some sort of stand to put it on though. There are other mills cheaper than this one which I'm sure work just as well, I haven't used them though so I can't really comment one way or the other. I'm happy with mine so that's all that matters really. [cool]

Cheers Kelsey

I did a bit of searching last night, BillK uses one of these too saw a video of it n action. Keen to get one but at the moment Craft Brewer don't have any in stock.

Do you use a handle or something else like a drill?

No worries mate. Yeah at the moment I just use the handle and hand mill it, although I have thought about using a drill on it, just to make it a bit faster. It's not that difficult for the most part, just slow. It works out alright in a brew day itinerary though because the strike water of 35 litres takes a while to heat up to temp, so there's less waiting around once it's milled if I use the handle. Plus it's about the only exercise I get. [lol]

The Barely Crusher, does it just barely crush the grains? [lol]

You're doing a 3v setup aren't you, Chad? I'm guessing this would be why there is more to do for your brewday. I'm still on BIAB and will be for the foreseeable future, in my experience so far, there's a fair bit of standing around doing sweet FA. Once the grains are doughed in I clean my mill and reseal grain bags etc.. and I've still got 50-60 mins to wait for the mash and nothing to fill the time. [lol]

North American prices always make be drool [pinched] .

I ordered some gain and hops for my next partial, $32 to my door, then I still need to get the extract and I will rinse the yeast from my current batch.

After I ordered my grain I noticed that Craft Brewer now have the Mill Master Mini Mill in stock, with the hopper and delivery the cost is $288.15. Even without buying in bulk I will save $15 a brew by shopping locally, that means it will take 19 brews to pay for the mill. At my new rate of brewing, it will take just over a year to pay back the investment.

Tax came back last week and I briefly mentioned to SWMBO that I was in the market for a grain mill. I have the order in all I need to do is enter the card number and hit "pay securely now".

Is it easier to beg for forgiveness or ask for permission [innocent] ?

Perhaps Hairy could work out the NPV of my project for me and I can use that as more ammunition come begging time [biggrin]

The Barely Crusher' date=' does it just barely crush the grains? [lol']

[lol] Oops![biggrin]

You're doing a 3v setup aren't you, Chad? I'm guessing this would be why there is more to do for your brewday. I'm still on BIAB and will be for the foreseeable future, in my experience so far, there's a fair bit of standing around doing sweet FA. Once the grains are doughed in I clean my mill and reseal grain bags etc.. and I've still got 50-60 mins to wait for the mash and nothing to fill the time. [lol]

Try having three young boys and a women to keep you busy[innocent] [happy]

North American prices always make be drool [pinched] .

I ordered some gain and hops for my next partial, $32 to my door, then I still need to get the extract and I will rinse the yeast from my current batch.

After I ordered my grain I noticed that Craft Brewer now have the Mill Master Mini Mill in stock, with the hopper and delivery the cost is $288.15. Even without buying in bulk I will save $15 a brew by shopping locally, that means it will take 19 brews to pay for the mill. At my new rate of brewing, it will take just over a year to pay back the investment.

Perhaps Hairy could work out the NPV of my project for me and I can use that as more ammunition come begging time [biggrin]

Sorry Scottie, NPV calculations won't help you with ths one if you are only looking at 19 brews (ie, your actual break even time).

The present value of your cost of the mill will be $288. The PV of your savings over 19 brews will be less than $288 meaning it is more expensive than you thought.

However, if you continue brewing for a number of years at a healthy rate then your NPV calcs will look very good, depending on your dscount rate or weighted average cost of capital.

I haven't heard from Scottie all afternoon. I hope he didn't pull out the 19 brew NPV argument or he is in serious trouble [biggrin]

I'm smelling what your stepping in....just throw a young girl into the mix as well.....!!! Keeps us honest that's for sure.[biggrin]

Maybe one day mate... [lol] Gotta get a bloody woman first. [bandit]

Personally I would rather have non bloody women. But that's just me.

Archived