Coopers Community

Coopers brewery tour

GrahamB8

Just got back from a week staying with family in Adelaide (best ANZAC day in the country btw).

Anyway I talked my cousin into going on the Coopers brewery tour and after a bit of phone grovelling with coopers they let us on [biggrin].

Now Ive done a few tours most recently the Carlton one and the actual mechanics are very similar but the actual tour itself and the knowledge of the tour guide put the others in its shadow, we even got to peek into a live mash and boil.

The usual run down of merchandise at the end (I got a tshirt and another beer mat for the bar) then we got onto the tasting.

We tryed all the beers Coopers are producing and even the APA from a can which is under a different name because the flavor from fermenting in a can is different from the bottle (which I didnt know so was kinda cool).

At the end the guide treat us all to a taste of a 2009 Vintage ale which was a very pleasant suprise.

So if your in Adelaide pay them a visit, its only $20 and you get to keep your tasting glass and all proceeds goto charity.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from a week staying with family in Adelaide (best ANZAC day in the country btw).

Big call mate, been to Townsville on ANZAC day ?

2,500+ troops & marching down the Strand with planes, choppers & jets passing over. Huge.

Glad you got looked after in Radelaide.

AdamN

Paul did buy me a beer on my visit [cool]

The pleasure was mine [biggrin]

I'm scheduled to fill in as tour guide this week so there will be a lot more shouting going on [lol]

• 2 months later...

i did the tour last year.. was a great trip. ive also done the Hieniken tour in Holland, The Guinness tour in Ireland and the Jamesons tour..

out of all the brewery tours i rate the coopers one the most informative and relevant. the others just use old warehouses/storehouses and a lot of video tutorials.

best part of the Guinness tour was the end.. my gf doesnt drink.. so i had 2 pints of Guinness.. then a couple little old ladies came up to me " you look like a man that enjoys a pint of 2.. here is our coupons, we dont drink it" so i ended up having 4 pints.. then we had to rush off to the Jamesons Distillery. where i got stuck into that too.. was getting mashed by dinner time :D

i did the tour last year.. was a great trip. ive also done the Hieniken tour in Holland, The Guinness tour in Ireland and the Jamesons tour..

out of all the brewery tours i rate the coopers one the most informative and relevant. the others just use old warehouses/storehouses and a lot of video tutorials.

best part of the Guinness tour was the end.. my gf doesnt drink.. so i had 2 pints of Guinness.. then a couple little old ladies came up to me " you look like a man that enjoys a pint of 2.. here is our coupons, we dont drink it" so i ended up having 4 pints.. then we had to rush off to the Jamesons Distillery. where i got stuck into that too.. was getting mashed by dinner time :D

[lol] I did the same thing.

My wife doesn't like Guinness or whiskey so I had her share of the stout and directly followed it up with her share at the Jameson distillery. I was a write off by 11am.

My wife doesn't like Guinness or whiskey so I had her share of the stout and directly followed it up with her share at the Jameson distillery. I was a write off by 11am.

sounds like the start to a perfect day[biggrin]

• 6 years later...

Hi guys.

Yesterday I finally did the Coopers Brewery Tour. And have a guess who ended up being our tour guide? You guessed it, the one & only PB2! 🙂

I don't want to discuss too much of what was shown & spoken about as to not ruin the experience for those contemplating taking the tour but do have a couple of pics on one area I found very interesting & thought the AG'ers here would too, without being too much of a spoiler.

Below is a picture up in the mash tun room. Take note of the row of screens in the background. This is the Coopers mash filter.

CoopersMashFilter1.jpg

....a slightly closer pic of about half of it....

CoopersMashFilter2.jpg

Unlike us home brewers, Coopers absolutely pulverize all of the grain into a powder resembling the consistency of flour & mash this. Whereas a home brewer does a crush to maintain some fragment level of grain that acts as a filtering bed, or you run into problems of stuck mashes & stuck sparges. No such problem here for Coopers as after the mash is complete the wort is pushed through this mash filter of some 100 odd filter screens & then sparged. Compressed air is used in some way to prevent the screens from clogging, & the spent mash solids are drawn away, & collected for use in livestock feed, while the filtered wort is transferred to the fermentation tanks. A bit of a shame no brew was happening on the day, as I would have loved to have seen this in action.

A home brewer using a crushed grain bed as a filter is pretty happy to achieve 75% efficiency. This pulverized grain & mash filter method allows Coopers to achieve 98-99% efficiency according to PB2! Quite amazing! 😎

PB2 is a wealth of knowledge & I enjoyed listening to him explain the various areas of the brewery, the processes involved, history & development aspects of the brewery, along with some of the stories he was able to tell the group that only someone who has worked for the company for a long period of time could possibly know & share. His often dry humour throughout was great.

I really enjoyed the tour & would highly recommend it to those interested. I was lucky enough to have a short chat with PB2 after the tour, & may have chatted longer but could see he was keen to get back to the office. 😉

Thanks for your time on the day Paul! 👍

Lusty.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Interesting stuff, but wouldn't it go to the kettle before the fermenting tanks? 😜

Oops. Yes. 🤭

As there was no brew happening on the day, we moved through some areas a little quicker than others.

Cheers,

Lusty.