Coopers Community

cookies in computer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nedg

ok if i have about 20 things that are ticked on the start up ...will that chew my net to pieces?????im over this copmputer stuff.google cvhrome still wont load......

Without knowing exactly what programs are listed on your Start up, I would simply say, a number of them potentially can.

I use Windows XP for my Operating System (OS). Programs like iTunes & Apple based applications have Internet based aspects of their programming that regularly access the Internet. Others such as Adobe, Google, Microsoft Messenger, Windows Media Player, Nero audio burning software all create a start-up file that is not necessarily needed to be running all the time, especially from start-up.

If you are running Microsoft XP, click the "Start Menu", Click "Run", Type "msconfig.exe" in the box & click "OK".

You will then be confronted with configuration options. There will be 7 TABS across the top, Left Click "Startup". As you may or not already know, this will reveal the programs that startup everytime your computer starts up.

Underneath the 7 TABS, there should be 3 columns, "Startup Item", "Command", & "Location". To the right of the word "Command" there will be a vertical line. Hover over it & it will allow you to expand that column. Left click & drag that marker as far to the right as you can, to allow you to see a full description of what program names are being pre-loaded as part of your Startup routine.

Any programs you recognise & understand that do not need to be opened at Startup, simply untick. Those you are unsure of, leave ticked. Once satisfied, click "Apply" & close.

If by chance you experience any problems after going through this routine, simply follow the initial steps outlined at the start of my post to return you to the Startup options & re-tick the appropriate program(s) that seem to be acting up.

As a comparison to the 20 you currently have ticked, I have about 8. Final numbers are not important in this situation, but removing the unnecessary programs certainly will help.

I hope that helps. [wink]

CC

Hi Nedg

ok if i have about 20 things that are ticked on the start up ...will that chew my net to pieces?????im over this copmputer stuff.google cvhrome still wont load......

Without knowing exactly what programs are listed on your Start up, I would simply say, a number of them potentially can.

I use Windows XP for my Operating System (OS). Programs like iTunes & Apple based applications have Internet based aspects of their programming that regularly access the Internet. Others such as Adobe, Google, Microsoft Messenger, Windows Media Player, Nero audio burning software all create a start-up file that is not necessarily needed to be running all the time, especially from start-up.

If you are running Microsoft XP, click the "Start Menu", Click "Run", Type "msconfig.exe" in the box & click "OK".

You will then be confronted with configuration options. There will be 7 TABS across the top, Left Click "Startup". As you may or not already know, this will reveal the programs that startup everytime your computer starts up.

Underneath the 7 TABS, there should be 3 columns, "Startup Item", "Command", & "Location". To the right of the word "Command" there will be a vertical line. Hover over it & it will allow you to expand that column. Left click & drag that marker as far to the right as you can, to allow you to see a full description of what program names are being pre-loaded as part of your Startup routine.

Any programs you recognise & understand that do not need to be opened at Startup, simply untick. Those you are unsure of, leave ticked. Once satisfied, click "Apply" & close.

If by chance you experience any problems after going through this routine, simply follow the initial steps outlined at the start of my post to return you to the Startup options & re-tick the appropriate program(s) that seem to be acting up.

As a comparison to the 20 you currently have ticked, I have about 8. Final numbers are not important in this situation, but removing the unnecessary programs certainly will help.

I hope that helps. [wink]

CC

thankyou heaps for that...all those you said that may causse hassles were on the list...i unticked all and am waiting to see what happens, cheers nedg

well im over it...i did a factory recovery and all the crap. got onto this site this morning for 29 minutes and it took 30 dollars worth of net....i cant afford it so im out of here....will try and get computer fixed (dont know how ive recovered scanned all the crap)...catchyas all later, cheers Nedg

Archived