Coopers Community

A Look at "The Canuck"!

Hi guys.

As a lot of current forum members already know, the forum has quite a few international friends who contribute here on the Coopers forum. It's very easy to forget sometimes through the pure text of a forum, that these are REAL people in REAL places around the globe. I know I'm guilty of that. [whistling

Anyways, I've done a little digging on the area that Canadian Eh!L currently resides in & thought a few of you might be interested in some of the basic things I found.

The Canuck resides in Golden, British Columbia, Canada, very close to the famed "Rocky Mountains". As you can imagine at this time of year, it is very cold. The weather forecasts for the next 10 days range in highs of -2\xb0C to -8\xb0C. Overnight lows range from -7\xb0C to -15\xb0C. The area this time of year seems to also hover in the 80%+ humidity zone. Precipitation forecasts an average of 20% chance of either rain or snow over the next 10 days.

Basically damn hard, rugged country!

On a more humorous note, some of the surrounding peaks/mountains have some interesting names. For example...

Frigg Tower

Frigg E1

Frigate Mountain

(I'm guessing they were named after someone yelled, "Frig it's F****** cold here!!") [lol]

Blanket Mountain & Blanket Creek Park (are self explanatory)

Potential Golden, BC slang you should know..

Loonie - The common name for the Canadian one-dollar coin.

Toonie - The common name for the Canadian two-dollar coin.

Two-Four - A blue-collar term for a case of 24 beers.

Mickey - A flask-sized bottle of hard liquor.

Chinook - (Pronounced "shinook" in some areas) A warm, dry wind blowing down the eastern slopes of the Rockies across Alberta and the prairies. Chinooks can cause the temperature to rise by 20\xb0F to 40\xb0F within 15 minutes.

Poutine - (pronounced poo-TEEN) French fries served with cheese curds, and covered in gravy. Originated in Quebec but now prevalent across Canada.(Awesome delicious heart attack in a bowl. You aren't Canadian until you've played some hockey and stopped for some poutine and beer.)

Boonie-bouncing - Going through the bush or on logging roads driving quads, bikes, or trucks for fun and noise.

Bones - Dollars. "That cost me 50 bones."

Tantoaster - Big storm.

...just to name a few.

On a personal note, I am interested in whether Canadian Eh!L is a Firepit BBQ Smokehouse, a Jita's Cafe, or The Kicking Horse Grill kinda guy? (He'll know what I mean!) [biggrin]

I enjoyed the read on all things BC, & now have a new found appreciation for what you deal with from day to day.

I'm not gonna call ya "Canuck" anymore, I think I'll call ya "Skookum" from now on. [rightful]

Anthony.

He definitely lives out in the middle of no where.

I know how he feels about the cold We just got about 12-15 inches of snow last night and the cold weather is just getting here. It is not unusual to hit -20f at night and only 0 during the day.

G'day Beerlust

That's some pretty interesting stuff old cocky. You do like your research. Did you know our old mate Ned comes from Ulladulla. Mate I like to hear about the foreign legion here but Ned he comes from God's own country. I could just picture myself over in Ulladulla gettin' on the turps with Ned. No way I'm gettin on the turps with any snoozer in Canada or anywhere where its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey .. eh!

yes it is gods country i live on 80 acres (77 of which is virtually national park) i sit on my verandah and look at the mountains and feel quite lucky[biggrin] [cool] couple more beers im feeling quite[cool] then last few beers im without doubt feeling[crying] [lol] and i got abit of hospital to do soon BUT when im back your more than welcome to get on the turps with me here at Ulladulla......awesome place.[biggrin] p.s that offer extends to all of you regulars on here...your all more than welcome...why offer extends to canada as well., cheers all..oops and ireland also lol

Hey Lusty,

Thank's for showing some interest in my little corner of the world.[cool] I really am lucky to live in such a beautiful, grand and laid back sorta' place. Most of us around here know how lucky we are which makes for a happy, friendly, fun and safe place to live.

I work in the mountains and forests everyday and get a real healthly taste of the outdoors. Summer or winter, rain, snow or sunshine, it all has it's momment of hardships but if you are prepare and dressed for whatever Mother Nature has in store for you then everything will be... Golden![cool]

I'd have to say that I'm a Jita's Cafe man out of those three. My SWMBO used to work there and can make a mean sandwich[love] !

The nickname "Skookum" is a noble one I think. I hope I can live up to that one. Thanks![cool]

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Blake,

I used to live near TO. I did my highschool years in Oshawa[crying] . I wouldn't say is the east coast, though! There's got to be 1000+km's before you could taste salt water to the east[innocent] !

Haha, yea but it's as far East as I've been in Canada. I dunno if you'd happen to know where I can get Coopers Kit from in the Toronto area?

Blake,

Try your major grocery store. A&P?[unsure]

I can't see any, there is one in Hamilton but I don't own a car so it's hard to get there and I'm not sure if they will deliver it.

It's to expensive to buy from home or even buy from America.

Blake,

A&P was just a suggestion. I would say any big chain grocery store will stock it. I pay $17.99/can[w00t]. It's not cheap, I try to stock up when it goes on sale. This is a big reason I have move to all-grain.[joyful]

I've ended up sourcing a similar kit to the Coopers gear at a local home wine making store.

They sell all the Coopers beer ingredients so it will be a good start for me.

Ohh Nooooooo' date=' I've unknowingly setup a Canadian hotline! [lol']

Only kidding. [biggrin]

Welcome to the forum BlakeD. [happy]

Anthony.

I'm Australian :) I just live in Canada now.

You could say I'm infiltrating [ninja]

You could say I'm infiltrating

Hmmm...what's to say you're not a Canuck trying to infiltrate? [ninja] [lol]

On a more serious note, so what are you brewing at the moment over there Blake? & aren't you cold??!! [lol]

Anthony.

On a more serious note, so what are you brewing at the moment over there Blake? & aren't you cold??!! [lol]

Anthony.

Well I am trying to get my permanent residency sorted out so who knows [biggrin]

I'm not brewing anything at the moment, I haven't since I left home, I have only just settled down now and found a place to live for over a year so I can start. Trying to source ingredients and equipment.

The cold isn't to bad, sure beats the 44 degrees in Sydney last week. I'll take minus any day of the week now.

Anthony.

Well I am trying to get my permanent residency sorted out so who knows [biggrin]

I'm not brewing anything at the moment, I haven't since I left home, I have only just settled down now and found a place to live for over a year so I can start. Trying to source ingredients and equipment.

The cold isn't to bad, sure beats the 44 degrees in Sydney last week. I'll take minus any day of the week now.

next thing youll be playing hockey [biggrin]

The cold isn't to bad' date=' sure beats the 44 degrees in Sydney last week. I'll take minus any day of the week now.[/quote']

Atta boy Blake! Way to man up![biggrin] [bandit] [alien]

you can stop poaching our blokes too Chad lol

Look Ned. We don't want all you blokes over here. All you Aussies seem to do is get drunk' date=' poach our fresh tracks (ski out all the fresh snow) and [b']TRY[/b] to style all our ladies![biggrin] You're nothing but trouble over here![lol]

ive never tried to style a lady yet lol[lol]

Archived