Coopers Community

The 'Oils'

Canadian Eh!L

Hey there Chad

Just to reciprocate, a few years back I worked with a Canadian expatriate who had a love of Southern Rock, American Roots music and obviously Canadian artists.

Anyway I often listen to The Tragically Hip, which is one of groups he put me onto. But more often than that I listen to Cowboy Junkies which I discovered way back when Pale Sun, Crescent Moon was released.

The Aussies gave the world The Oils and what did Canada give in return......Nickelback [sick]

[lol]

[annoyed]

Muddy,

These are apples and oranges.

Midnight Oil is a classic rock band from the 70's, 80's and 90's with a unique sound and message that leaves a lasting impression on the genre. Nickelback is simply forgettable rock from a from a era that is not to be noted for its big players. If you are comparing the two then you are badly out of you're element.[roll]

Some notable Canadian acts in the same genre if you are interested are :

Neil Young

The Tragically Hip (As Scott mentioned)

The Guess Who

54-40

Rush

Gordon Lightfoot

April Wine

Chilliwack

Etc.

Some of my favorite Canadian Contemp. stuff worth noting that I listen to these days are

and while your at it try Bahamas

Come on, Muddy[roll]

Neil Young is (was?) a legend but I've not heard of most of the others.....I know better things have come out of Canada than Nickelback [lol]

I take offence to the bagging of Nickleback's "era" as there have been plenty of "Big Players" in the nineties and noughties.

Muddy,

Once you are a legend you are always a legend aren't you?

I wasn't really expecting you to recognise these bands as they are Canadian bands. I do expect you to tell me what you think of the two acts that I posted links for. [wink]

What do you think?

Bryan Adams is most certainly Canadian but I didn't want to mention him after I's already played my Nickelback card [biggrin]

Chad - I had a listen to some songs from the 2 "Canadian Contemp" artists. I didn't mind Joel Plaskett too much but something about it rubbed me the wrong way (too polished perhaps???). Bahamas I will have to listen again when I'm in a more reflective mood....some real potential there.

Chad - I had a listen to some songs from the 2 "Canadian Contemp" artists. I didn't mind Joel Plaskett too much but something about it rubbed me the wrong way (too polished perhaps???). Bahamas I will have to listen again when I'm in a more reflective mood....some real potential there.

Joel Plaskett is a "one man band" sort of act. In the studio he plays all the instruments, sings, writes, produces, etc. He's really into it. He's from the east coast of Canada. I've got tickets to see him live on the 20th of Sept.[happy]

Bahamas, from what I can gather is a heart broken hard luck lover that sings the blues in a west coast contemparary groove.[cool]

Both these acts are cool an happened to be in the CD player on shuffle along with Midnight Oil when I first posted this topic.

BTW I think Bryan Adams is a Englishman nowadays.[biggrin]

• 1 month later...

I like the Oils, particularly their 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 album/CD. Great tracks.

However the greatest R&R band of my era is without a doubt, ACDC.

And the reason for this, & the reason for their immense following, is because what your hear on their CD's is not even as good as what you hear when you see & hear them LIVE.

Almost none of the current popular artists can reproduce their studio sound because it is "auto-tuned", altered & mixed in the recording studio.

Why anyone would pay real money for this rubbish & call it "music" is beyond me.

Beer.

As much as I love AC/DC, I can't help but cringe sometimes when I hear Brian making a total mess of Bon era songs (and some of his own too). They are a kickarse live band I must agree but I do find them a bit repetitive; I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, they have more variety in their music but still a unique sound that is instantly recognisable.

Hey Kelsey,

You must be in th 40-45 age bracket (just a little older than me), This is the only age group,(in my mind) that listens to IM and JP. They aren't my thing. Way too dated in my mind[roll] .

I do love the fact that you are interested in music and that you post about your tastes![cool]

I'm actually 26 [lol] most of my friends (older and younger) listen to those bands too' date=' I think there's a movement back to the old school sounds... people are getting tired of all the manufactured BS that floods the airwaves. Or maybe I'm just friends with a heap of old school metalheads[lol']

I'm 50 and went to soundwave in brissie last year to see Iron Maiden. the place was packed with teenies, all in the mosh pit with horns up. It was wierd watching 60 year olds getting the young uns headbanging. just goes to show that real music will never die.

Check out the line up for a day on the green Kelsey, Elvis Costello, Sunnyboys, Jo Jo Zep and Stephen Cummings (the sports}Nothing like a bit of nostalgia[biggrin] [biggrin]

I'm actually 26 [lol] most of my friends (older and younger) listen to those bands too' date=' I think there's a movement back to the old school sounds... people are getting tired of all the manufactured BS that floods the airwaves. Or maybe I'm just friends with a heap of old school metalheads[lol']

[lol] [lol] That's pretty funny, Kelesy. This really makes me feel old. Nothing like hearing that the younger folks are into the music that my older brother was into when I as 10. I find it really funny that these bands as well as 80's fashion is back in style. I thought it was bad back then and worse now. I agree that ACDC is a bit repetative over the years but they have been making good music for decades where as IM and JP... well I'm not so sure on that.

Keep on rockin'[cool]

Archived