Coopers Community

Extra Dextrose...

Tug Boat Ben

Following the time honoured tradition of not reading the instructions fully before hand, i have just mixed my first batch of sparkling ale and added a little too much dextrose. well a lot actually, 1kg instead of 300g... :oops: figured i had made one good batch the second couldn't be that hard right...?

my question is this. is the batch ruined completely? can anyone tell me the likely outcome of this mixture now? ie is it a total waste and should i start again straight away or is there a slim chance that what comes out the other side will be drinkable (even if it tastes nothing like it was intended)

many thanks in advance

TuggboatBen,

From what I've read previously on this board, the yeast shouldn't have any trouble fermenting out this beer fully.

It's just that it will be a little stronger than it would otherwise have been.

I gather you added the can of malt extract, as per instructions, plus the 1kg of dextrose, as not per instructions?

Depending who you listen to, dextrose contributes only alcohol, or alcohol and little else, to your beer. So basically you'll just end up with a beer that's stronger. If you'd added, for instance, way too much malt extract then your beer would have ended up quite sweet due to the unfermentable sugars in the malt extract.

Archived