Coopers Community

Beer started fermenting again.

IAN

I recently fermented a stout using a liquid yeast. Temp control was o.k. but a little cool, 18-20 C. I racked when fermentation had appeared to have stopped. After racking, the brew started to ferment again and has been going for about a week.

The local brew man says that the yeast has started to feed on each other and I should add a little sugar to fix things up.

I'm a little unsure what to do, I really don't want to open the wort up and add sugar because of the risk of infection, and the fermentation appears to be slowing anyway.

Any ideas?

Ian,

It is quite possible that the radking process has roused the yeast back into action.

Do not be afraid of taking the lid of to add a little more sugar or dextrose, as the brew will have a layer of CO2 that if you're careful will keep it good, dont open it up wide for ages, just peel back the lid throw in the dextrose solution stir gently and reseal.

Cheers,

Greg.

What was the specific gravity when the beer had finished fermenting, and what SG did you start at? How strongly is the beer bubbling? How long did you leave it in primary?

I see a couple possibilities here:

The beer was not finished fermenting when you racked, possibly thanks to the yeast dropping out in cooler weather. Racking revived it and allowed it to finish its job.

The bubbling you see is just a combination of a little CO2 coming out of solution, the temperature warming a little, and the yeast mopping up some residual bits and pieces.

Unless you've had that beer sitting at warm temperatures for quite a while, I doubt the yeast has started to eat itself yet.

Archived