Coopers Community

Beer Can Chicken!

AussieJosh

So me and the "lady"...

are having a few family members over tomorrow night for dinner. Im going to cook two chickens on the webber, she will do roast veg inside and bring cake from work![happy]

Anyway the first chicken i will put in with Hickery wood, when it stops smoking like crazy 10 - 15 mins later im going to put my "beer can chicken" in...im going to shove a can of Dr tims up it! (thats pale ale in a can)

Im just posting this cause i have heard people talking about it and watched a few vids on beer can chicken on youtube.....have any of you ever made a beer can chicken!? and thoughts!?

cheers... :)

I find that it works really well, cooking the chook evenly whilst keeping moisture in the breast-meat. They smell a bit beery when they are first pulled out of the weber but this smell becomes quite subtle by the time the chook is carved.

Open the can and dring about 1/3 then stick it in the chook.

Have also done this successfully with turkey, the can laid on its side. It's a bit more fiddly because more beer needs to be taken out of the can and it may spill a bit when positioning into the bird.

So Peter, Physics is not one of your strongest subjects then?......[pinched]..don't feel too bad, when we were young and living in Rural SA, manifold cooking became popular, that was tying a tin of something to the tractor manifold with wire for a couple of laps of the paddock then you had a nice warm meal ready for you, one of my mates tried it but didn't punch a hole in the tin, he pulled up to get the meal after a couple of laps only to have it explode all over the place, luckily he was still on the tractor or he no doubt would have been quite seriously hurt I would reckon.

[lol] Nice one Ross

[rightful] Please tell us you opened the can first Peter [biggrin]

I haven't made one for a few years but they come out pretty good - I do have concerns about what chemicals may come of the can and it's colourings though [unsure]

I've also indulged in a couple of beer bottle chickens years ago in Thailand. The chicken was placed over the bottle and then covered in an old cooking oil tin. The dry chaff stuff leftover from growing rice was then heaped on top and burnt. It turned out very, very nice. Not sure how safe using bottles is though.

I've cooked it a few times. More to show off than to cook a gourmet meal. [biggrin]

I buy a fancy beer can, drink the beer and then add my own brew, with some garlic cloves to about 1/2 the level of the can. Larger cans are better. [happy]

Coat the chicken with paprika and your favorite spices. [joyful]

I did one with lemon slices under the skin that turned out very well. [lol]

first, get a good dry rub (paprika, pepper, salt, lemon rind,thyme) and gently apply this between the chicken skin and the meet. Be careful not to tear the skin. Open the can, drink half of it and stick the rest in the chicken. Grab half a lemon, and shove it in the top opening - this will ensure the moisture stays in and it also imparts a lemon flavor to the chiken.

Archived