Coopers Community

Yeast Starters?

Rory

Yeah i use the mr malty one. Works ok as well. Like anything consistency is the key to having repeatability.

Slurry is a great unknown. I have previously used it extensively in both ales and lagers but have all but given up using them in ales. Reason being pitch amount has such a bearing on the final taste of the beer and with slurry its just a guess really. No calculator in the world will predict it accurately. Lagers on the other hand slurry is a great option. Err on the side of overpitch and it makes just the same beer as a normal pitch IMO. Plus you save good $$ not making a 3 or 4 litre starter.

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-49-starting-right

Theres some interesting stuff in this podcast on starters and yeast in general 

I've always liked reading & listening to Denny Conn. I've learned a fair bit & challenged myself on the back of info he has provided.

Based on what I listened to in this podcast & the figures I looked over in the Mr. Malty yeast calculator, I'm no longer going to bother buying a stir plate as I really feel there is no need given my level of brewer & what I regularly brew.

Thanks for the link Capt. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

I like listening to these guys as they are no nonsense brewers to a degree and they do their homework. 

I thought you may want to listen to that with the questions you were asking. 

One thing about all of that podcast there wasn’t anything on the harvesting from starters which would have been interesting to hear their take on it. 

But it’s also the reason I just whack the harvested yeast in the flask, spin for 24 and harvest. Throw the starter in the brew. I’m really not fussed with cell counts as I know it works.

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Key takeaways from that podcast:

• don't worry about cell counts, just need to make sure your yeast is active when pitching
  • don't worry about stir plates, the shaken not stirred start method works better

Cheers,

John

Yeah they sort of lost me in the first few minutes when they said that cell counts are not important just active yeast. Experience especially with the CCA yeast has told me a 1L starter of active CCA yeast will eventually get the job done but it will be very slow and full of esters from overstressed yeast. Compared with a 1.5L one with active yeast which ferments quite quickly and has only a hint of pear esters. 

If it didn't make a difference why wouldn't the results be the same?

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If it didn't make a difference why wouldn't the results be the same?

That's a good point. I guess the only thing is that it's a different batch of yeast in both of those scenarios, so hard to isolate the exact cause. Unless you've done it enough times to see a pattern!

Oh the other thing, I shouldn't have wasted money buying an Erlenmeyer. He is right about them being terrible boil vessel ... they do make great volcano simulators though.

Cheers,

John

I have no trouble boiling in an Erlenmeyer, but I've found it's the malt extract used that makes a difference. The stuff I have currently is quite tame when it boils, but I have used a finer one in the past that erupts like a volcano and also results in a bunch of grey crap floating around in the wort. I always buy the coarser stuff now so I don't have to worry about boilovers or that grey crap.

At the end of the day, the reason I do what I do with yeast and starters is consistency and confidence in the fermentation. And that's exactly what I get. Every batch ferments out well, in the expected time and with the flavor profile desired. Pitching random different amounts will likely work most of the time but there's always a small chance of failure. 

Archived