Coopers Community

Aussie vs. Yank Terms?

Motley Brue

Sorry. Nothing to do with beer, but I was curious as to slang and other terms we use. For example...in the US, But not necessarily the whole country ( I live in the south, yet born in Canada) some terms are..

A lot; plenty = A shitload; A bunch;

Friend = Bud, Partner, Buddy

Everyone = You guys (north) Y'all ( south)

Beer = Brews; Cool Ones

Women = Chick ( old term); Babes; Hotties; Sweetie

Breast Implants = Store bought. Women call them fake. Men don't care.

Sex = Get lucky;Get laid; Nookie; Hide the salami; Bang; Knock the bottom out of ( insert name )

Football= Not soccer. Played with oblong ball similar to rugby.

Crikey = what Australians say; similar to our Dang; Damn; Holy shit.

Yankee= Any American living up north. Don't call a Southerner a yank/yankee. A Southern bred American = Redneck; Good ol boy; Southern boy.

Goodbye= See ya; Later; I'm outta here.

Anyways...thought I'd try a weak attempt at entertaining some of you. I'd welcome any of your terms. I'm not faint of heart or easily offended so let it fly. Take care/Cheers

G'day Motley,

If it isn't about beer the "Everything Else" section is probably the best place to post a topic.

I'll add my 2c to your list from an Aussie perspective (but like everywhere some sayings will be purely regional)

lot; plenty = A shitload; A bunch;

I'd probably go with a lot or shitload on this. nothing else really pops to mind.

Friend = Bud, Partner, Buddy

Mate

Everyone = You guys (north) Y'all ( south)

Some would say "youse" but I'm too cultured for that :) others would "all you wankers" before getting into the specifics of who they're talking about. "You guys" would make an appearance too.

Beer = Brews; Cool Ones

Women = Chick ( old term); Babes; Hotties; Sweetie

I guess chick would be a common slang here.

Breast Implants = Store bought. Women call them fake. Men don't care.

Don't really know about breast implants apart from the why bother factor - they just look stupid most of the time. I guess "store bought" is pretty common everywhere.

****= Get lucky;Get laid; Nookie; Hide the salami; Bang; Knock the bottom out of ( insert name )

I guess "to score" or "scroed" would fit here. Anything else may force Paul to get his delete stick out.

Football= Not soccer. Played with oblong ball similar to rugby.

We generally call football soccer and rugby league or union football or footy. I guess aussie rules get called football or footy too but I wouldn't know much about that funny little game ;)

Crikey = what Australians say; similar to our Dang; Damn; Holy shit.

Crikey is something Americans say (usually in an English accent). Yes it is an old Aussie saying but isn't really used much apart from when someone is taking the piss. Steve Irwin took it overseas but he was never really famous here - just overseas. He was generally a source of embarrassment to us until he died. It was only then that he got a lot of attention over here.

Yankee= Any American living up north. Don't call a Southerner a yank/yankee. A Southern bred American = Redneck; Good ol boy; Southern boy.

They're all seppos to me. Seppo = septic tank = yank.

Goodbye= See ya; Later; I'm outta here.

I guess see ya or later would get a run. I can't think of anything else (It is early).

I haven't really given much really Australian slang as that is another and much bigger can of worms that would take too much explaining. Maybe later - I have to do some work now.

I'm sure others will have more to say on the matter.

See you round like a rissole!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived