Coopers Community

tinny taste

c43989

Two possible explanations:

1. your water source may have a metallic flavour,

2. traces of chlorine can give medicinal or metallic flavours.

From where do you source your water and do you use bleach (hypochlorite) as a sanitiser?

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Richo,

2 things:

thing1.

Bleach is OK in VERY LOW CONCENTRATION, followed by thorough rinse and dry.

thing 2.

anything better? Yes; Woolworths Home Brand Nappy & Laundry Powder, non-scented version of course. Cheap, readily available and absolutely non-residual.

hope this helps

Kip

I'm glad you asked.

SODIUM PERCARBONATE @ 346g / kg, with some secret enzyme which I'm guessing is one of the Oxygen response bioreactive things which can lyse, that is dissolve some family of bacteria.

I guess your point is that it's a bleach. Yes it is, but it's not a Chlorine compound, and I've had some difficulty shifting the lingering odour and taste of Chlorine, which I find pretty unpleasant to work with in a small laundry. This is one of several reasons I switched to the cheap Woolies powder.

This is interesting but I don't know if the rest of the audience is enjoying it

Kip

We have run side-by-side laboratory tests comparing Hypochlorite, Percarbonate and Metabisulphite. Hypochlorite came out as the most effective sanitiser.

Residual Percarbonate is less of an issue for the beer than Hypochlorite. When using Sodium Hypochlorite, I do a double rinse with hot tap water to good effect...no chlorine smell and no taint to the beer.

VERRRY INTERESTNG BUT NOT VERY FUNNY

Archived