Coopers Community

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Sediment

My local pub gave me 5 bottles of Sparkling Ale stubbies yesterday as they were unsure as to how old they were. They are twistops but are in a shorter bottle as are available now. Just trying to get an idea of how old they might be and wether they are safe to drink.

PS: They also have quite a bit of sediment in them.

The "best after" date should be on the shoulder of the bottles...date of packaging is two weeks prior to the "best after" date.

Bottle conditioned ale (as with Home Brew) can last for a long time - years!!

If it smells and tastes okay it should be fine to drink.

Further to that, the use of the Best After date on Cooper's bottles is a relatively recent addition (a couple of years, perhaps?).

I have several full bottles of Sparkling Ale in the shorter bottles you describe, going back to 1994. I had one the other day and it was delicious.

To know how old these are, look for a number printed (in dark ink, so it might be hard to find) on the shoulder of the bottle.

There are two rows of numbers. One looks like a time. The other line is five digits, perhaps something like 24502. The first three digits are the day of the year that the beer was bottled; the second is the year. So 24502 means the beer was bottled on the 245th day of 2002.

Hope that helps.

I checked the sediment in the bottles last night and it was about 5mm. I don't mind a bit of sediment and usually stir it in but I think I will pour these into a glass.

There is definately no Best After date on the bottles, I will check for the number you describe Oliver.

Thanks

Sediment.

PS: Busboy, I don't think so, but thanks anyway for the offer.

Archived