Coopers Community

alchohol %

love my homebrew

:? Hi all.This is the first time i have posted and my dilema is this.I have been brewing for over a year now and even though they taste great i cannot understand why the % keeps rising.Everything is cleaned and i stick to the rules but sometimes i get a reading of 6% to 8%I recently tried to brew with no sugars only the brew concentrate and when i checked it tonight it reads 5.1%.Any help would be great.

ps:my dark ales are great but are about 6%.Even when i used 125grams of sugar i got a reading of 4.16%.Thanks,John.

John,

Your calculations just can't be right!

What volume are you brewing to (23 litres, as recommended?)?

And how are you calculating your alcohol percentage?

When you say you checked your brew, are you only doing it by looking at the gauge on the hydrometer? If so, you can't do this. You need to subtract the final gravity from the original gravity and divide it by 7.36 (or times by 0.135), then add 0.5% to account for the priming sugar.

Hello.I did subtract the fg from the sg with the division and + .2 or .5 and that is how i got the results.I did follow all the rules.I am confused as to the results.eg:my latest brewed with no sugar sg 1040 fg 1006

1040-1006=34 divided by 7.46=4.5576407+.5=5.0576407.I need help.Regards,John.

Hi again.I have just been playing around with the calculator and it may be my error.When i calculate and add .5 i get a different result to that when i add .5%.I did not realise it would be different but when i read your post i saw the % sign and it got me thinking.I also tried the multiply 0.135 and it pretty well matched the same as using the +.5%.Thankyou everybody.Regards,John.

Archived