Coopers Community

Unborn!

rossm

G'day all,

I have introduced my son to home brewing and he is a big Coopers fan, both homebrew and pale Ale! His wife is having a baby, their first, and yesterday they went for the ultrasound, all is well and they are as proud as can be, but my son must look like a real Coopers drinker and the nurse must be a real character, they can type comments onto the photos and the nurse typed "Coopers please" on one of them, both my son and daughter inlaw reckon it is great!!...........and so do I!

• 3 weeks later...

SWMBO is about 6 weeks away from the impending birth of the second.

One of the midwives said stout was good for breastmilk, so, I've got a stout conditioning in the keg, can't wait.

Is that why my man-boobs are increasing? :?

In the meantime, you might see an increase of the sales of Best Extra in the Mulgrave area. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Best of Luck Luke! (hmmm.. I remember a cartoon on the ABC back in the day called Lucky Luke - a bumbling western cowboy, I think).

You'd best have a couple of Best Extra Stout's (or even Special Old Stouts) to keep your strength up for the impending labour! :P

cheers,

kieran

G'day all,

I have introduced my son to home brewing and he is a big Coopers fan, both homebrew and pale Ale! His wife is having a baby, their first, and yesterday they went for the ultrasound, all is well and they are as proud as can be, but my son must look like a real Coopers drinker and the nurse must be a real character, they can type comments onto the photos and the nurse typed "Coopers please" on one of them, both my son and daughter inlaw reckon it is great!!...........and so do I!

Fantastic stuff! :) Best of luck to your Son & Daughter In Law Mr. Magnay!

:)

cheers

Kieran

Thanks mate!

I've got a nice stout on tap in the fridge going at the moment.

Don't think it will last long, SWMBO likes it and has also made some meat pies with the stout in the sauce. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next month I become a grandad, and I don't know that he will .....pop out, his mum is not real big and his dad is, the midwife reckons he is a big boy so we will see how it all goes............I will let you know when it happens.

I hope it goes well!

I've been going to a lot of seminars lately on birthweight, and there is a mountainload of evidence that the birthweight of a baby is tightly linked with the weight/health of its pregnant mum.

I don't want to scare anyone, because what I'm about to say is just a link after all, but low birthweight (below 3kg) they reckon has some fairly major linkages with hypertension later in life (leading to kidney, heart problems, diabetes), from data collected from about 15,000 Finnish babies back in the 1950s and 1960s (the lightweight ones now have significantly more hypertension, heart, kidney and diabetes problems more than their heavier cousins)..

There's problems with that data though, and how it compares to us, because we aren't Scandinavian after all, and our genes are somewhat different (in Australia, we are a really really "mongrel" breed in comparison to the relatively inbred Fins) but its still interesting.

I went to a talk last week, and a group from the USA is doing the first experiments on Apes, having some apes on normal diets throughout pregnancy, and others on a 70% diet. They hope to follow the offspring through to an age where they can measure their health. Obviously, the babies once born get a completely normal rearing (they aren't put on diet restrictions). The area of research is called "Developmental programming" where they reckon that changes in development irreversibly affect your body such that is has certain consequences later on in life. They think that developmental programming is what happens to Finnish (and other) human babies. There's evidence that it happens in Rats, but they're even more distant to us, than the Fins! ;)

Personally, I think it might be a load of crap, or atleast infinitely more complex than the physiologists reckon. I'm a geneticist, and I know that genes are highly flexible and cannot be irreversably changed in the way that the physiologists think, and I think there are many more levels at play than just birthweight which is the physiologists main flag (physiologists are relatively ignorant of genetics and the things that genes do, generally, so they cannot say much else).

Although, the Finnish lightweight babies might have something to say about that. Anyway, keep mum well fed with good food and the baby will be healthy and a nice big lump come birthday!

Anyway, just a bit of interesting info from the "Scientist amongst us brewers".. :D

• 1 month later...

He's here!! My first Grandy was taken by c section this morning at about 10am, remember me saying about the "Coopers please"? well let me tell you blokes, make sure you plan for a big one coming up.........he is 10lb14oz and about 56cm long! so when he starts drinking Coopers you may need to keep put a couple of extra blokes on................I'm Mildly ecstatic!

Archived