Coopers Community

Sharing some South African experiance

Wally

I am new to Aus - have only been here for a little more than 8mths, but I think I need to share with you my experiance on how these mega size brewing companies function. Their discissions are made purely on business principals and nothing else. For a number of years we (in South Africa) had only one brewing company with about four or five beer labels available to the customers. They do not cater for regional and/or individual tastes since it will only increase cost and reduce their profits. In any case why care since the public can only buy their products. In the past there has been more than one company but as soon as one of them starts making inroads into the market they would buy out and eventually the newly acquired range of beers would disappear altogether, with the consumers the only losers.

No do not get me wrong. I am not suggesting that this will happen here in Aus, but the signs are there. When we came to Aus I was amazed by the choice the Australian beer drinkers have and you should fight to keep it this way.

The beers made by Coopers must rate as some of the best in the world but if Lion Nathan\u2019s bid for control of Coopers is successful there is a very good chance that eventually the Coopers brand of beers will disappear. I believe we, the beer consumers, must make sure that this does not happen since the final outcome would be similar to losing an endangered species of plant or animal \u2013 you will never see it again.

• 1 month later...

Would it make a difference if we started a petition saying nobody would buy coopers if it was bought out and then shipped it to potential evil capitilistic companies? It would reduce their want to screw over my favourite beer. If they do get bought out though I'll probably swap to West End (lesser of two evils.)

Archived