Coopers Community

Chilli beer

DoubleChevron

Hi Guys,

has anyone here tried a chilli beer ?? I was thinking trying Canadian Blonde as a chilli beer. Only I'm not sure what chilli's to use ..... Or how much chilli to use in each bottle .... Maybe a full chilli floating in each bottle would be a little much.

thanks

Shane L.

G'day Shane,

it is great that you are putting posts on the message board and I applaud your enthusiasm.

However, to save your time and other's time, could you please do a search on a topic before starting a new thread.

To update the topic, I made a smoked chilli ale recently. Rather than put chillies into the fermenter or into the bottle, I put a long thin one quartered and deseeded into a secondary vessel and racked the beer onto it for a few days. I'd boiled the chilli for a few minutes, and I bottle once I was happy with the level of heat. However, it also produced a prominent grassy flavour that, while is interesting, is perhaps not necessarily desirable.

• 2 weeks later...

I bottled the Canadian Blonde chilli beer today. Heat is good (4 big chilli's, 3 or which I de-seeded into the fermenter). I find the aroma quite distrurbing, and the taste, er, interesting.

It'll be interesting to see how it tastes in a few week time (I hope the aroma passes, that's the most offputting part of it). I love the chilli kick, lets just hope the flavour improves.

seeya,

Shane L.

Archived