Coopers Community

Strip thermometer

JohnE9

Sometimes the strip thermometer on my Coopers DIY kit, reads as a single GREEN number and at other times with two readings.

The higher number is BROWN (eg 20) and the next lowest is BLUE (18)

Please explain.

A task for PB2, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I reckon those strip thermometers are next to useless. I ended up buying a glass laboratory unit from a lab supply outfit in Sydney and with P&H it cost close to $30!!! Very accurate, though.

I will investigate those meat probe thermometers that Roger Ramjet has suggested. But, I don't like buying stuff from China and sent via the post. I am still waiting for a few items supposedly sent over four months ago from mainland China. annoyed

I'm yet to have any trouble with the strip thermometers. I also use a digital temp probe thermometer (as mentioned above), along with the STC-1000 that I use with my brew fridge. I have not found any great difference in what the strip thermometer displays when pitching my yeast, to what either of the two digital thermometers show once I seal the FV & place it in my location(s) for primary fermentation.

I don't splash liquids on them, & replace them every couple of years.

Cheers,

Anthony.

The two strip thermometers that I have register three readings; which are coloured blue' date=' green and brown. A temperature range of 6 degrees!!!!!!!!!!![/quote'] Yep, this is quite normal - always go for the middle number. wink

Hi John.

Well' date=' Lusty, that is true for you.

The two strip thermometers that I have register three readings; which are coloured blue, green and brown. A temperature range of 6 degrees!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

I too have the strip thermometer display temperature as you describe. If you have 3 band colours/temps displayed (say 22, 20, 18°C), accept that the middle colour/temp of those 3 (20°C), is the temperature nearest to the actual temperature of your brew wort. If you have 2 colours/temps displayed (say 22 & 20°C), accept that your brew is nearest 21°C.

It's really nothing to get your knickers in a knot about, as the gauge is working fine (IMHO).

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived