Coopers Community

Brew Kit Taps

JohnH62

Hi JohnH62, & welcome to the forum.

I admit I haven't seen these new "flip-top" taps, but I would assume they are threaded onto your fermenter?

If this is so, simply unscrew the tap fitting from the fermenter & take it down to your LHBS (Local Home Brew Shop) or the local hardware store & acquire a standard "Turn & Pour" tap fitting that matches the thread size of the flip-top tap.

Then simply re-fit the new tap to your fermenter with perhaps a little thread tape if necessary.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Lusty, the new taps look like this:

New DIY Tap

They plug in rather than screw in.

PB2 mentioned before that they changed taps because of the number of defects in the production of the other (clear) taps. I don't think you can get the older style now.

I have one so I might keep it aside until demand goes through the roof and sell it for a fortune; perhaps double the $5.45 the current tap is going for [devil]

Lusty, the new taps look like this:

New DIY Tap

They plug in rather than screw in.

Ahh....I see.

The older style screw in taps are certainly still available (as are suitable sized containers for brewing in). The screw in taps just can't be used on the DIY fermenter by the looks. [pinched]

I disappear for a few short months & the whole world goes & changes on me! [lol] [innocent]

Thanks for clearing that up Hairy. [smile]

P.S. JohnH62, Make that a @#$% load of thread tape! [lol] [lol]

Anthony.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul

I notice John never responded to you so I thought I'd drop you a quick note. When the tap is in place and with normal usage it seals well and easy to use; but...

It's not really a biggie, but when I attempt to insert the plastic tube from the bottling attachment, its a really tight fit and usually requires several attempts at seating it firmly enough to trust it staying there. During this procedure, the tap tries to rotate upwards from the pressure and there is quite a fair "continuous leakage stream" from the bottom of the tap seal.

I can minimise it (but not eliminate it) by applying downward pressure on the front top of the tap to counteract the upward rotation force, but it is just a little annoying. And, I'm starting to get used to it.

Cheers, Philby

• 5 months later...

sorry to hijack this post but put a brew into FV yesterday and the tap is leaking (old style one) went onto the website to look at the new tap but the cost of the tap is$5.95 and postage $15 to South Australia WTF!!!!!

simply unscrew the tap fitting from the fermenter & take it down to your LHBS (Local Home Brew Shop) or the local hardware store & acquire a standard "Turn & Pour" tap fitting then simply re-fit the new tap to your fermenter with perhaps a little thread tape if necessary. Cheers' date=' Anthony.[/quote']

G'Day garyp3, depending on where you live, your LHBS or large warehouse style hardware store and some thread tap as described above should help. wink

simply unscrew the tap fitting from the fermenter & take it down to your LHBS (Local Home Brew Shop) or the local hardware store & acquire a standard "Turn & Pour" tap fitting then simply re-fit the new tap to your fermenter with perhaps a little thread tape if necessary. Cheers' date=' Anthony.[/quote']

G'Day garyp3, depending on where you live, your LHBS or large warehouse style hardware store and some thread tap as described above should help. wink

thanks for your reply magnaman but mine is the push fit type ,i am just a little PISSED at the postage from coopers online store.

thanks for your reply magnaman but mine is the push fit type ' date='i am just a little PISSED at the postage from coopers online store.

[/quote']

sorry to hijack this post but put a brew into FV yesterday and the tap is leaking (old style one) went onto the website to look at the new tap but the cost of the tap is$5.95 and postage $15 to South Australia WTF!!!!!

Sorry garyp3, I thought you had an old style one as stated in your post, that being said, have you sent an email to Coopers about the problem?

I know, no great help over a long weekend, but it never hurts to inquire of Coopers, they are not like many other companies in this world.

Hope things work out.

Cheers.

Gary, I have the "old style" tap in my "new style" fermenter.

The only time I have had any issues with the tap leaking, I have just turned the handle very slightly to either side & it has sealed perfectly every time. You can see through the side of the tap & the black seal is easy to see & move/adjust until you get a good seal.

When the new style fermenters came out it was suggested that a very small bit of olive oil smeared on the seal would assist with sealing without affecting the wort.

Unfortunately this won't help you with this brew, but hopefully slight moving of the tap might.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Send an email to customerservice@coopers.com.au

joyfuljoyful

• 5 months later...

The new snap-tap is very hard and less forgiving compared to the original DIY Beer tap.

Try twisting the tube as you push it into the tap. There's a ridge inside the tap to prevent the tube from being pushed in too far. Make sure to hold the tap body firmly as you twist the tube in.

• 1 year later...

Is anyone having trouble with the plastic Coopers Brew Kit Tap? (Rusting)... I have a new Kit bought last Sept have used it twice all went well however On the 3rd time I used it the brew went off forming a thick scum growth on the top and I had to chuck it out.......I am very fastidious with the cleaning of my kit..... on close inspection I found that there is signs of rust coming out of the tap it is a spring loaded one and it appears as though the spring inside it has started to rust...Has anyone else had this problem.....??

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Has anyone had problems with the new 'Snap Tap' leaking? I have found it gives a very slow leak that I tend to discover only after leaving it in a fridge (full of wort) overnight... This has happened in the majority of my ten-odd brews this year, starting from the second or third.

My only solution so far has been to very, very slightly twist the top half back off-centre so that it's not exactly aligned, which for whatever reason seems to plug the leak. Honestly it's more like "fiddle with the thing until the leak seems to have stopped."

It's a great tap because it's very easy to disassemble and thoroughly clean, which I do between every brew, and I love how easy it is to pull samples etc... It's just this niggling issue, and if there's an easy solution I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Hi guys' date='

Has anyone had problems with the new 'Snap Tap' leaking? I have found it gives a very slow leak that I tend to discover only after leaving it in a fridge (full of wort) overnight... This has happened in the majority of my ten-odd brews this year, starting from the second or third.

My only solution so far has been to very, [i']very[/i] slightly twist the top half back off-centre so that it's not exactly aligned, which for whatever reason seems to plug the leak. Honestly it's more like "fiddle with the thing until the leak seems to have stopped."

It's a great tap because it's very easy to disassemble and thoroughly clean, which I do between every brew, and I love how easy it is to pull samples etc... It's just this niggling issue, and if there's an easy solution I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Send an email to: customerservice@coopers.com.au and explain the problem.

Is anyone having trouble with the plastic Coopers Brew Kit Tap? (Rusting)... I have a new Kit bought last Sept have used it twice all went well however On the 3rd time I used it the brew went off forming a thick scum growth on the top and I had to chuck it out.......I am very fastidious with the cleaning of my kit..... on close inspection I found that there is signs of rust coming out of the tap it is a spring loaded one and it appears as though the spring inside it has started to rust...Has anyone else had this problem.....??

I have the same problem only ever had the whole tap submerged when cleaning it (10 mins). Not sure where I can get a replacement as am in New Zealand.

This is usually an indication that the little detente locking tabs, on the side of the tap body, have split away from the main body. Being quite fine and delicate, they can be damaged if an attempt is made to pull the tap apart before the top is twisted sufficiently to clear the tabs.

customerservice@coopers.com.au, even if you are in NZ smile

1467761192_62_204.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't initially have any leaking problems with the new tap until a few brews in and then realised the red rubber seal had worn from being pushed in and out of the fermenter when cleaning. I'm annoyed as no one stocks the new taps and the only place to get one is from the coopers store and postage is $15

Hi guys' date='

if there's an easy solution I'm all ears.

Cheers.[/quote']

One check to perform, peel back the red inner rubber to expose the spring if you haven't already. It can be further disassembled from there for even more deep cleaning, but check to see if the spring is clean, it's supposed to be stainless. Some were shipped a while back that were not stainless or claytons stainless and rusted badly, in my case it lost spring pressure as well as rusting and started to leak.

I also find that it is most worthwhile to keep some olive oil in a small glass jar in your nanobrewery area, to smear the tiniest amount around the tube where the tap is pushed into the FV. This assists this process, but also ensures a good seal, if leaking from this seal, the oil may stop this.

A tiny bit of olive oil exposed to the wort is supposed to be good for it as well, and a substitute for O2 for yeast propagation from memory.

Archived