Coopers Community

Don't forsake us Woolies!

Muddy Waters

ya can't even get dry malt in Newcastle I went driving around the town looking for it. looks like i'll be buying online. I thought it was only Newcastle going through a dry spell. It'll never be the end of home brewing' date=' where theres a will theres a way....[/quote']

Did you try home brew shops in Newcastle?

The price difference for dry malt between Big W and LHBS would be fairly nominal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody has an IGA nearby ?

My local one has a pretty decent homebrew section , Coopers mainly some Brigalow & Tooheys stuff , regular specials too. They didn't have carb drops last time I went looking though.

The local Big W has a pretty decent range too , same deals but also the Brigalow dry malt.

I guess I'm lucky to have a few LHBSs within driving distance , thats where I usually get the grain , hops & fancy yeasts / kits.

+1 Craftbrewer , big range of products , online shopping is easy,

my order took about a week to arrive[cool]

we have a not so big I.G.A here in milton nsw....alot of brewers around though i beleive...they stock pretty well and ive also found a produce store in ulladulla where the owner is a mad homebrewer and he stocks brew cellar and coopers kits plus alot of accessories....needless to say ive found a new friend , cheers ned

If you are lucky enough to have a good LHBS in your town' date=' use it! The advice is good, the products are fresh and my local Top Drop has the full range of Coops products. Bloody Woolies and big w have caused heaps of smaller shops in my town to close, so support the little bloke i say, when woolies have no competition left, up go the prices. My LHBS is only a buck or so dearer for the cans. A small price to pay to keep the bastards honest and to keep another small business afloat. [/quote']

here here nick...as i posted in other room i went and met our local guy today..he was abit dearer for the cans but reasonable with accessories etc...plus with the os series cans he maybe a dollar or two dearer but he gives you the dextrose with it...on top of that hes a nice bloke, a brewer and funny as hell....so ive decided to gstick with his shop and give him abit of support too....

• 2 weeks later...
ya can't even get dry malt in Newcastle I went driving around the town looking for it. looks like i'll be buying online. I thought it was only Newcastle going through a dry spell. It'll never be the end of home brewing' date=' where theres a will theres a way....[/quote']

Did you try home brew shops in Newcastle?

The price difference for dry malt between Big W and LHBS would be fairly nominal.

On that front I find homebrew shops are cheaper by a long way. My local sells me a 4 kg bag of ldm for $36.

G'day,

some Dan Murphys shops sell the home brew tins. Give Coles And Woolies a miss, they are only interested in maximising their profits to the detriment of the small manufacturer. [bandit]

G'day,

some Dan Murphys shops sell the home brew tins. Give Coles And Woolies a miss, they are only interested in maximising their profits to the detriment of the small manufacturer. [bandit]

I thought Dan Murphys was owned by Woolies [unsure]

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you're not happy with Woolworths deleting our products please make an effort to contact their head office and lodge a formal complaint.

They listen to their customers (when enough of them complain) not the suppliers.

Hi PB2.

If you're not happy with Woolworths deleting our products please make an effort to contact their head office and lodge a formal complaint.

They listen to their customers (when enough of them complain) not the suppliers.

+1 to that PB2.

Unfortunately, in reality, not enough complain as a combined voice for much that matters these days, "my one complaint won't matter, so why bother?" is the normal response to something like this.

Personally, I believe it is long overdue that the Coopers Brewery had their own chain of home-brew stores, instead of being purely suppliers.

Coopers recent purchase of the "Mr. Beer" chain of home-brew stores in the USA tells me that this type of venture is worth something overall in a positive way for the brewery, so why not start something along the same lines domestically here in good ol' Australia?

As a unionist at heart, I believe only good things can come from it.

There's my "One Voice".

Anthony.

Maybe coopers should instigate an online petition on the forum and take our collective voices to Woolies, after all, its in Coopers interest more than ours. I'm sure they have computer gooks who could do this.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe coopers should instigate an online petition on the forum and take our collective voices to Woolies' date=' after all, its in Coopers interest more than ours. I'm sure they have computer gooks who could do this.[/quote']

well up here in Picton IGA has dropped the coopers prices...so thats where im going from now on...at least they are loyal

to us brewers. or isa this a ploy by coopers to make us buy online???who would know these days

• 2 weeks later...

woolworths have dropped carb drops, be2, and caps from the shelves and limited the OS series cans they stock..

My partner Kim knows that even if im away.. she sees caps/carb drops or even tins of coopers goop on sale at a good price to grab them.. ill make something from them one day! ( just not in 10 years time like the 5 cans i have left over from previous brewer)

i have a brewcraft store close by, but the Beer belly, and country brewer stores are half an hour drive for me.. but worth it..

• 2 weeks later...

I can backup what Del & the other boys have said about Woolies in regards to their reduced range of home brew beers & adjuncts etc.

I did my grocery shopping earlier tonight, & all that is left on the home brewing allocated shelves was Coopers OS Lager, OS Draught, Pale Ale, & Woolies Homebrand Draught. The only adjunct was BE2. No caps, no carb drops & nothing else.

It's a good thing I have a local IGA close by that still supports a much larger range of the Coopers home brew products.

I'm just hoping they don't go the same way. [unsure]

As a side note, the International series, & Thomas Coopers range are becoming increasingly harder to locate. I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide (the Coopers Brewery home town), & have to travel some distances to acquire many of their home brew products.

I admit I do find this annoying at times. [pinched] [annoyed]

How the spread of the Coopers range of products has been allowed to become so sparse across it's own state, does ask a few questions. [bandit]

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm Tezza just started brewing, and complete novice.We have similar problems in Murwillumbah area (Northern New South Wales),local Coles pathetic stocks of Coopers products, but Mitre 10 Hardware Murwillumbah store is an absolute goldmine of brewing equipment and home brew consumables,and has All the Coopers range,as well as other brands, hops, malts and as a novice, products I know nothing about at this stage.If you want to travel another 15 minutes to Tweed Heads there is a very good and helpful LHBS which has good range of Coopers products as well as other brands. Don't waste your time going to Big W as not much range and some tins of brewing extract had dents in cans.Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Tezza!

That's a nice part of the world you live in there. Good luck with the brewing.

When you get into it, a drive up to Craftbrewer in Brisbane might be worthwhile, although it does mean crossing the border devil

Thanks for the welcome Hairy,I have been trying to read heaps on the Forum and your posts are full of knowledge for us newbies, and thanks for tip about Craftbrewer in Brisbane.Yeh I would have to think twice about crossing the border as used to ride a motorbike when I was a young fella. Before I get too serious with Brewing will have to get fridge brewing set-up as temperatures here in Chillingham area sit in the 30's a lot of the warmer months and 3 weeks or so ago it was 45.7/C in the shade. Luckily just bottled brew of Unreal Ale(Coopers recipe) 2 days before and stashed it away .Tried one about a week ago--beautiful so should be nice in a month or two? I have been using water from Rous River to brew which has its source in the ranges up near Springbrook. I live on the edge of village so water is still crystal clear where I live and neighbour has sand and charcoal filter and lets me use his water, but I thought water could have a lot of minerals in it from rocks etc. grinding away all the time so have changed to boiled rainwater which I used for my most recent brew Unreal Ale which tasted good about week after bottling but MUST leave it a lot longer I realise.

Cheers Tezza

Gidday Tezza,

Once upon a time I lived on a rural block block west of Tyalgum and used to brew with both rainwater and water from Pumpenbil Creek which was spring fed and originated from the adjoining National Park. Not that I could ever tell the difference.

I had the Queensland disease then; lots of white cane sugar.

Does Chillingham still have that quaint general store with its cool, ferny beer garden? Where you could purchase a few long necks and relax at your leisure in perfect surroundings.

The tip from Hairy about Craftbrewer in Brisbane is spot on. An excellent range of products and tip, top service.

Mate, in no time I reckon you will be churning out world class brews and have no no need to purchase megaswill from the general store. Unless you are feeling a bit lonely and could do with some company. Many a fine and interesting character live in that neck of the woods.

Hi John, yes the Chillingham General Store is still there and a few of the locals gather there of an afternoon to have a few coldies and the store sells ice cold beer at a reasonable price and there is always a few rows of Coopers: Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale, Stout, etc. in tallies which the locals favour,and also a range of Coopers stubbies.as well as other commercial brands. That is a beautiful area where you used to live and I sometimes drive through there and out through Tyalgum and through National Park to visit friends near Mt Burrell. Cheers Tezza

• 2 months later...

I live in Newcastle and never have an issue getting Coopers products from Big W (either Charlestown or Newcastle West). However I do prefer to get the Thomas Cooper series from my LHBS at Charlestown. Noted that Woolworths dropped all of their home brew range for a while but as of this week I noted my local Woolies store is now stocking all full section of their previous range again (HomeBrand/Coopers/T*****ys), plus caps, brew enhancers etc.

Archived