Coopers Community

Don't forsake us Woolies!

Muddy Waters

Is this the beginning of the end for home brew products at Woolies???

Just got back from a bit of early morning shopping at my local Woolies and noticed that the home brew section had been moved to the dead zone behind the pylon. Are they trying to tell us something?

imageapzk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the same feeling sometimes muddy ill hopefully cheer you up mate. [biggrin]

yeah i noticed there getting crapper and crapper mine doesnt even sell the 500 grams light dry malt anymore i should ask them to order some. Also is your local supermarket trying to flog there home brand draught tins and bottle caps? I saw 1 bloke buying 3 tins because was on special just laughed but then again not gaim to try. My dog seems to like there home brand food but i dont think ill be stooping to his level with beer.

Can you please now make a good comment on my Murray River english bitter post its also lonely there [innocent]

I bought 2 OS tins (real ale and draught) and 2 BE1 last week (only had dex & BE1 to choose from) when they were sitting on the counter the BE1's stunk like a bin. I opened the boxes and the bags were airtight so i chucked the boxes. If this is how woolies treats the Coopers products I hope the yeast in the tins in going to be OK.

I had the same problem last tIme I stocked up at Big W - I mad it to the car before I noticed a strong smell of garbage bin juice. I got home and realised the stink was eminating from my boxes of LDM so I gave them a wash ( they were pretty sticky anyway) and they were then good as new.

I just put down the real ale and Aus pale ale, will see if there is any action in a few hours. I hope the "fresh food people"[roll] didn't leave their Coopers stocks out on the loading dock for hours in the sun killing off the yeast. They had pretty long dates on them and yeast is fairly tough.

...count your blessings you blokes!...Today I went to put on a real ale....I had one LDM left from my freight free order at Xmas, I normally put two brews on at once so I went to Kmart to get the Real Ale....nup no real ale and of course no LDM...off to Woolies, got some real ale but alas still no LDM, I settled for BE2....pathetic in a town of 30,000 people I reckon!

• 2 weeks later...

Kmart seem to struggle a bit in my area (inner west sydney) - no carbonation drops last time i went. The whole area looked a bit sad, massively understocked of everything coopers.

next time i think i'll make the (slightly further) drive to my LHBS.

Hello guys, not new to Coopers, but new to the forum, I brewed while I was in Sudan (dry country) and needless to say, I had many "friends".

Maybe we are lucky (or dont know whats available) but we seem to get most of the stock from our guys here in South Africa. I am South African working abroad.

I am currently in Liberia and have one kit on the way and I will be bringing two more with me when I go home on my R&R in May.

I have one question and my agent Maruis is away for a bit, but when you get the kit for the first time, it comes with a lager. Why not any other variety?

But big thanks to Carl in Durban and Maruis in Johannesburg for keeping my home brew alive.

I get all my supplies from my LHBS, it's closer than anywhere else really, and stocks all the Coopers range from OS to the fancy ones, plus my malts, crystal, hops etc. I'm about 25 mins away from Craftbrewer as well, went in there a couple of months ago, pretty decent shop too.

Cheers,

Kelsey

• 5 months later...

If you are lucky enough to have a good LHBS in your town, use it! The advice is good, the products are fresh and my local Top Drop has the full range of Coops products. Bloody Woolies and big w have caused heaps of smaller shops in my town to close, so support the little bloke i say, when woolies have no competition left, up go the prices. My LHBS is only a buck or so dearer for the cans. A small price to pay to keep the bastards honest and to keep another small business afloat.

If you are lucky enough to have a good LHBS in your town' date=' use it! The advice is good, the products are fresh and my local Top Drop has the full range of Coops products. Bloody Woolies and big w have caused heaps of smaller shops in my town to close, so support the little bloke i say, when woolies have no competition left, up go the prices. My LHBS is only a buck or so dearer for the cans. A small price to pay to keep the bastards honest and to keep another small business afloat. [/quote']+1

I actually work in the liquor industry, & have done for the last 13 or so years. I've worked with both of the 2 National liquor chains (Woolies & Coles), along with a number of independent chains in that period. I currently work for an independent group in my state.

Most people have no idea of the damage that is being done to the industry at the moment as a result of the GREED of the ever-spreading national chains.

Think about where you shop.

Sorry for rambling. They just really get on my goat! [annoyed]

Beer.

I'm actually gonna pop in there tomorrow or Wednesday Muddy on my break in between my "half shifts", and get the beginnings of the equipment to start BIAB. Two good things about broken shifts - I get paid for 2 hours that I don't even work, and the break in the middle allows me to buy brewing stuff[lol]

Nobody has an IGA nearby ?

My local one has a pretty decent homebrew section , Coopers mainly some Brigalow & Tooheys stuff , regular specials too. They didn't have carb drops last time I went looking though.

The local Big W has a pretty decent range too , same deals but also the Brigalow dry malt.

I guess I'm lucky to have a few LHBSs within driving distance , thats where I usually get the grain , hops & fancy yeasts / kits.

+1 Craftbrewer , big range of products , online shopping is easy,

my order took about a week to arrive[cool]

I do, but I never go there. [lol] I just realised I wrote "tomorrow or Wednesday" last night, *facepalm* public holiday threw me. Anyway, went to CB today and picked up an urn, a bag and a hop sock. Will get the rest of the stuff I need on Friday. They gave me a simple recipe (Cascade Pale Ale it's called) with instructions on the whole method as well to get started which was awesome. Looking forward to it![biggrin]

• 1 month later...

ya can't even get dry malt in Newcastle I went driving around the town looking for it. looks like i'll be buying online. I thought it was only Newcastle going through a dry spell. It'll never be the end of home brewing, where theres a will theres a way....

Archived